Ridges - ITS PINK!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I go for whole oats everytime
default_smile.png

Could be just me but I thought Bindi looked bigger today.

DSC_0046.JPG

Talking about big, I am going to get some oats and lucerne chaff tomorrow for this girl but should I be worried about the size of her tummy? Coz I am lol If this is a completely normal healthy look please let me know. She's on the exact same food as Bindi and Bindi is struggling to look pregnant.

DSC_0037.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Really depends on the horse. Drifter is easily fatter then that, but his 'comfort weight' always has him rounder then a lot of the other horses. Lyric is way smaller then that, but she's a scrawny yearling who has been brought up for extra feed.

I find it really hard to comment on weight of other horses, especially the shorties as they can be so very different.

Maybe she's just 'big boned' then lol.

Was due to come back into season this week again but isn't showing any obvious signs so hopefully we will have a little wazza this time next year!

LOL! maybe
default_wink.png

Fingers crossed that she doesn't come in.

If you are concerned about weight I find the better signs are along the spine and the crest of the neck. Those work for under or overweight as well
default_smile.png
Example, as long as Drifter doesn't have a gutter along his spine and his neck doesn't feel solid then he is usually fine. Belle had both of these and I'm still shifting it off her o_O

Sweety and Bindi would just like to pass on a big thank you to Aunty Bree, oats are indeed super yummi! So yummi that Sweety decided to raid Bindi's serving as well. Look at those ears, so nasty!
default_new_rofl.gif

DSC_0035.JPG

Had a feel of sweety and her back and neck feel fine. Thanks for the tip

Haha nothing sweet about her in this pic
default_smile.png
hehe kidding. She doesnt look fat to me but then again mine are real chunkies they have muzzles and everything lol

LOL!! Naughty girl - not a nice way to talk to your friend!

Fingers crossed she is holding to Wazza.
default_yes.gif

Need to add another word to my horsey vocab. What does 'typey' or 'type' mean when talking about a foal? I'm assuming its to do with the way it looks but would love to know what exactly its refering too.

Somehow I think you're being biased Diane
default_new_rofl.gif
Here's a guess, does it mean they look more like a big horse shape?

As Diane says, typey is a foal that reflects the things we want in our full grown horses. So refined/dishy face, curvy/tippy ears, long legs, horse proportions etc and all of these can be seen in foals. I'm bad at words with these things so I'll use my own foals to explain
default_smile.png

NOT what you would call typey!

Day 01 (13).jpg

Sure he is is the first 24 hours, but his head is chunky his neck is short and he generally screams out "cute!" rather then "refined."

Now not being typey doesn't mean bad, as you've all seen as a 2yr old Derby is a well conformed, balanced horse with a nice neck but still the chunky face.

What I WOULD call typey

tilly06.jpg

So as to be fair to Derby I think Tilly and him would be very close in age, only an hour out or so. But look at the difference! She looks like a ballet dancer on those legs and look at that dishy face! She's a bit taller then Derby so another comparison could be....

sterling 07.jpg

This should be another day 1 photo although Sterling has a few hours on Derby and Tilly in the above shots. Size wise he'd be right with his half brother Derby up there. But look at the difference in the face! Beautiful and dishy, cute ears with those bright, big eyes. Look at the length of leg and neck, much more 'horsey' or 'typey' then his half brother.

Glad they were helpful... although I felt guilty and had to go stuff Derby full of carrots to make up for using him as the 'bad example'
default_new_rofl.gif
:rofl

Although it would make up for him tipping that bucket of molasses over in the tackroom......

Poor Derby lol. Wazza had the same shortish neck in his foal photos and chunky head too altho his legs were slightly longer. The girls have longer necks so they might put it on his babies.

I found that foal colour predictor and if I filled it out correctly this is what my girls might have. I noticed there wasn't an appaloosa choice so will have to be a wait and see. Wazza is registered as a dun but not having any dun parents, and I couldn't see any stripes on his legs in the clipped photo, I've put him as a buckskin in the calculator

For Bindi

12.50% -

Palomino Tobiano

12.50% -

Palomino

12.50% -

Chestnut Tobiano

12.50% -

Chestnut

10.94% -

Buckskin Tobiano

10.94% -

Buckskin

10.94% -

Bay Tobiano

10.94% -

Bay

1.56% -

Smoky Black Tobiano

1.56% -

Smoky Black

1.56% -

Black Tobiano

1.56% -

Black

For Sweety I wasn't sure what to put for her colour in the calculator. She's registered as a brown pintaloosa. Here's some photos of her clipped on my site: http://ridgesminiatu....com/mares.html On her rego her dam is black pinto and sire is 'brown' but since that isn't a colour would he actually be smokey black? He looks like chocolate. Could Sweety actually be black but a black varnish pintaloosa? Might need your brains Diane ;)

So going with her being black, and I've put her as tobiano altho I'm not sure that is what she is as the white doesn't overlap like Bindy's, her foal colours could be:

18.75% -

Buckskin Tobiano

18.75% -

Buckskin

18.75% -

Bay Tobiano

18.75% -

Bay

6.25% -

Smoky Black Tobiano

6.25% -

Smoky Black

6.25% -

Black Tobiano

6.25% -

Black

Hey Diane did you see the photo of clipped Wazza? I posted it on page 20 about halfway down.

Here's baby Sweety

IMG_1256.jpg

Then at about 2 years

sweetie3.JPG

Sweetie 2.JPG

sweetie 4.JPG

Then these from this year. No summer shots yet.

DSCF8147.JPGDSCF8169.JPG

Latest posts

Back