Removing blood from clothes...Peroxide????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThreeCFarm

Reaction score
Anyone know how to remove blood from clothes? The Dr at the ER said something about using peroxide, but I forgot to ask more about that--I had other things on my mind, LOL. Anyone have any tips? It is on my T-shirt. I can always use it as a barn shirt, I guess, but I'd like to save it if I can.

I'm sensing there a story here????

Cold water wash, pretreat with hair spray, Oxiclean is a blessing.

Also ERA detergent is great for blood. Dampen and put some on the spots and let it sit awhile, or soak in just enought water to keep it moist until you wash.

Whatever you do........always start by soaking in COLD water!

I always try cold water soak first, especially if the blood is fresh, but if its dry...

Hydrogen peroxide will usually take dried blood out of fabric, but like most things, you'll want to test the clothes for color fastness first.

I've used it on our buff carpet, our blue bedspread and clothing. Just pour it directly on the blood mark and let it bubble, then I blot with a paper towel and then wash as usual. So far, its worked very well for me.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try them. And yes, the blood is dry.

Laura, my son was riding a pony that wasn't what he was supposed to be, and he came off in some gravel. It tore his arm up. I knew the ER would do a better job cleaning it than I could, so I took him there. Sure enough, they put Lidocaine on it to numb it before cleaning it. I couldn't have done that! However, the pony problem is fixed now, as he rides this one:

Chris1stLesson4Oct08.jpg

And his new (big) pony:

WidgetRight17yrsOct08.jpg

poor guy, I'm glad he has a relaible pony now
default_smile.png

YES, peroxide works.

Funny. I cut myself shaving on the back of my leg the other day and didn't know it, I was walking out of the store and my husband said I had a big spot of dried blood on the pair of Khaki jeans I was wearing. UGH! I got home and rinsed the spot in cold water. I then poured on the peroxide. It bubbles and lifts the blood COMPLETELY out of the jeans. I had to do it a few times......rinsing with water in between.

I learned this from a vet..........maybe 30 years ago. He was tubing one of the horses and when he pulled the tube the horse had a bloody nose and blew it all over a white shirt of mine. He told me to use peroxide. It took the stain completely out of that white shirt.

I was amazed! Who knew.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I'm OLD, and I didn't know that about hydrogen peroxide! Learn something new every day! (Which is something I LOVE, btw.)

Stephanie...glad your boy is OK, and love BOTH his ponies!

Margo

My mom always told me to soak in cold salt water. I let it soak in the cold water and I will even take it out for awhile and poor salt on the spot. The salt sucks it up.

Okay, I think I'm going to try the peroxide tomorrow. Today didn't go as planned, LOL. Thanks everyone!

Ditto on the peroxide. When I used to coach football we always kept a bottle on the sideline to take blood out of the uniforms, as the kids were not allowed to play with visible blood. We weren't really concerned what it did to the fabric, just needed to get the player back into the game.

gary

Latest posts

Back