Raven's Surgery Is Tomorrow (Wed) Morning

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Parmela I just saw your post and am too late to wish you good luck but did want to say I'm really glad to hear it's over and she's on her feet already. Keeping my fingers crossed that she'll soon be fine and wanted to tell you that I think being proactive, rather than waiting until she was in pain, was the best decision. Just another example of what a great mini-mom you are.

Just heard from the surgeon. It went well, she's in recovery and already standing!
default_488.gif
I was SO
default_ohnoes.jpg
He said the hardest part was not the removal of the tooth but the sculpting of the jaw bone that had been disfigured by the root. We are going to try and do as much post-op care ourselves so she may come home as early as tomorrow. Just trying to reduce cost as much as possible.

Thanks for all your prayers! Please keep her in mind that she has a speedy recovery and that no infection sets in.
Oh thanks for the update,
default_pray.gif
for a speedy recovery and she comes home soon.

I as well just got to read this post. I just wanted to wish her a speedy and uneventful recovery. I would have been very nervous as well.. Goodluck and hope it will all work out for the best for you and her !!! Take care..

Yeah- glad she came thru fine...
default_smile.png

I'm sure she wont get any more spoiled while recovering... LOL

I am just reading this but glad to hear everything went well.

I went thru this in 1995 when going to school but it was with a shire so NO comparison with size.

He wasn't a show horse but I do recall mths of post op care. And of course when he desided he didn't want treatment I had to stand on a bucket to get to his head.

Wishing Raven a speedie recovery!!

Sending healing thoughts to Raven and wishes for a complete and fast recovery. :D Glad to hear that the surgery went well.

3/26: Raven is home from the hospital!
default_new_multi.gif
She's doing just GREAT and is mad as heck that she's been in a stall for two days straight!
default_laugh.png
She's bucking, kicking, rearing and swinging her head to make sure I know just how ticked she really is. Basically, she's throwing a tantrum!
default_crybaby.gif

The surgery was very successful and now we just keep a close eye on the wound to keep infection away. She's on Sulfa 2x per day for 5 days, banamine 1x per day for 2 more days and Misoprostol 2x per day for 3 weeks (I'll explain this in a bit). They actually closed her wound up which is contrary to what I was expecting. The tooth that was removed was premolar #4. The hole in her jaw is about 2" in diameter. She's swollen but really not as bad as I was expecting. And she will allow us to touch on the area, not that we are a lot. She has about 10 stitches covered by a 4x4 antibacterial patch (bandage) and then her jaw (over the nose, under the jaw) is wrapped in a really cool material called Elastikon. It gives but allows her to open her mouth and chew. She's already back on regular feed and hay and can have daily turnout with no limitations on exercise. I just need to keep her by herself so the other horses don't take her bandage off for her.
default_wink.png

As for the Misoprostol, there was a miscommunication at the hospital (and I do believe it was accidental) and it was caught almost immediately. She was given bute instead of banamine or some other pain med. I'm told bute is a very good pain med for bone injuries so that is probably how the mistake was made. The vet didn't ask for bute, but that is what was given. When he found the error they tubed her with charcoal and gave us 3 weeks of a drug that should help protect her colon from the potential damage from the bute. I could tell they felt horrible about it, but also felt that no harm was done since it was just once and it was caught so quickly. They didn't charge us for the nasal tube, the pellet or the Misoprostol.

And one final piece of good news...the whole bill was estimated at $2200 but our actual bill was $1400!
default_new_shocked.gif
I'm so used to the actual bill being HIGHER than the estimate I was really shocked. Shocked but really happy! Spending $1400 that wasn't budgeted for sucks, but it's way better than $2200 that wasn't budgeted for!
default_wink.png

I know she's not out of the woods and the vet even reminded me of this several times, but I sure am relieved that at least so far things are going well. She's such a little spitfire!
default_wub.png

And the last thing and then I'll shut up. I know that lots of people in MO and the midwest think that Mid Rivers is too expensive and they spend too much money on their facility for appearances, etc. but I'm really sold on them. They've not let me down to date and they've saved more than one horse for me that I thought was surely gone. Any other place probably would have given up on Mira and we wouldn't have her now. Lots of people sort of raise an eyebrow when I say we take our horses there, but I think they're worth every penny. Yes, some charges are outrageous, but they sure know what they're doing and have the facilities to do the work. I'm glad they're local to me.

Thanks for all the well-wishes! I hope to take a pic when we clean the wound and will post for those that wish to see it.

default_saludando.gif

Parmela,

I'm so happy to hear that Raven is home and is doing well! I wish we had such an awsome vet hospital close to us!

Pam C.

DSC_3512.jpg

This is the side the root had pushed out. The swelling is pretty uniform in a halfcircle. What you can see here is the part that is swollen downward. From outside the wrap it kind of looks like a JUMBO tooth bump!
default_new_shocked.gif
What can't be seen here is if you were looking down at her head from above there is also a buldge out the side. Poor thing.

Tomorrow I'll take a pic of the wound when we clean it.

Last edited:
So very glad to hear how well she tolerated the surgery. On the plus side (if there is one besides it seems to have gone well) since you have shown her so long she is used to things similar to the bandages being on her -- like slinkies -- so she will more than likely handle this intrusion better than one who had not had such previous wraps. Plus, being in great condition will help healing.

She'll need a couple extra hugs
default_wub.png

Latest posts

Back