Raven's Surgery Is Tomorrow (Wed) Morning

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

StarRidgeAcres

As I said in another thread, I body clipped Raven for the purposes of seeing what her condition was after a winter of being a spoiled rotten brat that got TONS of treats for doing nothing!!
default_laugh.png

When clipping her jaw I found a bump in a spot that I didn't expect. It's on the left side of her lower jaw. Not coming out the bottom of the jaw like most tooth bumps do, but actually protruding out the side. Sort of like the tooth (root, tooth, cap and all) was laying horizontally rather than vertically.
default_new_shocked.gif
So off to the vet we go!
default_unsure.png

Vet did radiographs and visually examined it and gave me two options - let it alone and see what happens or have it surgically removed. He also cautioned me that in all the cases he's seen the "wait and see" approach always resulted in surgery eventually. So, since she's a show horse, and probably our nicest show horse, I'm thinking we need it removed sooner rather than later. But it's really invasive and has risks obviously so I wanted a second opinion. So off to another vet two hours away we go this morning.

This time we went to the University's teaching hospital. Raven got TONS of attention and since they don't see this too often, many, many vets and vet-hopefuls looked at her. They also had a horse skull they used to show us exactly what was going on. Personally when I looked at the radiographs I saw nothing! Looked like a bunch of spiderwebs to me!
default_rolleyes.gif
For those that want the technical description of what is going on here is part of an email from the University vet school:

[SIZE=10pt][/SIZE]

Thank you for bringing Raven to the Equine Clinic for evaluation of a left mandibular swelling
On physical examination, two eruption cysts were noted on the ventral aspect of the left ramus of the mandible, coinciding with the normal eruption of premolars 2 and 3. Additionally, a firm swelling was noted on the lateral aspect of the left mandible, mid-ramus, at the approximate rostral to caudal location of mandibular premolar 4. The swelling appears to be associated with maleruption of PM4 (most likely) or PM3.
Options include surgical removal of the affected premolar by Dr. Ellis or our clinic, or observing the area for changes and having a dental exam performed every 2-3 months to determine if removal is essential. Raven does not appear to be a good candidate for biweekly molar spreading in an attempt to create additional eruption space.
Thanks again for bringing Raven to the Equine Clinic. Please call if you have any questions regarding her visit.
In my words, what they are going to do is drill a hole in her jaw bone and push the tooth (root and everything) up through the gum and remove it. They are then going to grind down portions of her jaw that are now bowed out from the pressure of the root. This is mostly done from the outside of the head and not through the mouth. Then the hole and skin will be packed and left open to drain. She will require daily cleaning and repacking of the area, antibiotics, pain meds, etc. We're told the time from surgery to healing enough to show is 2 to 4 months
default_new_shocked.gif
! With 4 months being the likely. And this is if everything goes well.

As for why we are putting her through this, it's our understanding that although she doesn't seem to be in much pain now and can eat just fine that she will eventually be in pain and not be able to eat. So we are choosing to do it now rather than later.
And as for how did this occur, there is no way to know for sure but since her jaw is perfectly aligned and no other teeth show any evidence of coming in weird the likely cuprit was a swift kick from another horse. I'm told that many times issues like this are symmetrical and will be the same on both sides, but in Ravey's case the right side has no issues whatsoever. That doesn't mean it was for sure an injury but that seems like the most likely cause. Add to that how freakin tiny (short) her head is and there's just no room for error in there, so any issue was probably going to be a big one.
The cost is estimated at $1800 - $2200. And no I didn't purchase major medical for her.
default_doh.gif

Please keep Ravey in your thoughts for a safe surgery tomorrow and a speedy recovery. She's our baby!
default_wub.png

raven2007worldshowbackdrop1.jpg

Last edited:
Gee...Sorry to hear this but glad you shared it. This week has really been a learning experiece on the many things with minis.

I know this surgery will probably be worse on you than Raven. Ignorance is bliss. Ha!

What a wonderfull caretaker you are to see that the best is done for her.

Will be thinking of you and her. Good Luck!

Poor little girl! But this in the long run will be better for her. Keeping her in my thoughts for tomorrow.

Parmela-

I will be thinking of you and Raven tomorrow!

Glad you have a course of action ~ best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Thanks for the well wishes. Raven and I both appreciate it!

And Peggy, Dr. Gaughan was SO nice. He had another vet review the radiographs via Mid Rivers' website and they both agreed with the diagnosis and plan of action. In total I had 5 different vets either view the 'graphs and/or physically examine her. Basically the consensus was unanimous. Only one vet said he could maybe fix things with agressive floating but the other 4 said I'd still end up doing the surgery so I'm just going ahead and getting it over with.

I wish her (and you!) a successful surgery! I have her grandmother here in training and she sends good thoughts too!
default_smile.png

Poor thing, that doesn't sound like fun
default_no.gif
I'm sure it will be the best thing in the long run. Sending good thoughts for a sucessful surgury and quick recovery for your beautiful girl
default_wub.png

Raven is a lucky lady that you are taking such good care of her!!

I hope everything goes well and she heals quickly..

Missy
default_smile.png

What a pretty little mare!

She is lucky to have landed at your place!

Good luck to both of you.
default_wub.png

Hugs

Bonnie

Hi Parmela,

I'll be thinking of you and Raven. I actually had a show mare go through a very similar thing in 2007. She had a back tooth on her bottom jaw that needed to be removed, so they drilled the hole in the jaw and punched the tooth out through the bottom. The small size of these little guys makes it a little hard for the vets to work inside their mouths and the vet at Texas A&M told me he thought it was one of the most difficult procedures he'd ever done. The good news is the mare healed up perfectly (although it was a long and somewhat difficult recovery), and showed successfully again last year.

Good luck! And if you need any moral support during the post-op care portion, feel free to PM me.
default_smile.png

Will be thinking of you both today!!! Let us all know how little Raven is doing!! Shes Calvins girlfriend you know!!

Thank you all SO much!
default_wub.png
It means a ton to me.

Ravey's surgery was scheduled for 9:00am central, but they didn't get started until 10:30am and they're still working on her now (an hour and 20 mins later.) Kind of scares me how long it's taking.

Hi Parmela,
I'll be thinking of you and Raven. I actually had a show mare go through a very similar thing in 2007. She had a back tooth on her bottom jaw that needed to be removed, so they drilled the hole in the jaw and punched the tooth out through the bottom. The small size of these little guys makes it a little hard for the vets to work inside their mouths and the vet at Texas A&M told me he thought it was one of the most difficult procedures he'd ever done. The good news is the mare healed up perfectly (although it was a long and somewhat difficult recovery), and showed successfully again last year.

Good luck! And if you need any moral support during the post-op care portion, feel free to PM me.
default_smile.png
Lisa,

Thanks SO much for posting about your experience! You are the first one I've found that has had the exact same thing in a mini. I got to talk to the owner of a saddlebred that had the same thing, but no minis until now. And yes, their mouths are so darn tiny that the vet has little to no room to work in there. I may be calling on you for moral support!
default_wink.png

Will be thinking of you both today!!! Let us all know how little Raven is doing!! Shes Calvins girlfriend you know!!
Thanks Brenda. Ravey's does love her Calvin!!!

Last edited:
Just heard from the surgeon. It went well, she's in recovery and already standing!
default_488.gif
I was SO
default_ohnoes.jpg

He said the hardest part was not the removal of the tooth but the sculpting of the jaw bone that had been disfigured by the root. We are going to try and do as much post-op care ourselves so she may come home as early as tomorrow. Just trying to reduce cost as much as possible.

Thanks for all your prayers! Please keep her in mind that she has a speedy recovery and that no infection sets in.

Latest posts

Back