Rails or ramp to top of trailer

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandee

Reaction score
I have a Hawk 5 horse BP mini trailer. I am looking for another horse and, trying to save money like who isn't, I don't want to replace my trailer. Right now I can only get 1 cart (it's only about 5'6" tall inside), my supplies and 2 to 3 horses - very tight for space. I wanted to be able to haul the carts on top. Hawk has said they can put a rack up there but no one at the company wants to work on planning nor making rails or ramps. My idea (if it would work) is rails made of two sections that slide one into the other and can be stored on top. Problem is finding someon that under stands me and making it!

Anyone out there that has done something like this or had it done? Where? Who? Help??
default_frusty.gif

Also I'd like comments from those that put carts on top. Maybe this whole thing is a bad idea! Do they get much damage from the elements and what sort of covers do you use?

I tried ramps on my mini trailer. It worked, but they had to be so long and it was difficult to roll the show carts up. My husbands solution was to put a winch on the side of the trailer with an arm. We found some 2" web strapping and sewed rings on each end. The arm swung from the side of the trailer to over the trailer. We installed a hook on the end of the winch cable. Then we wrapped the straps around the carts around the wheels and shafts and winched them up. It was great! I could load and unload carts by myself. The winch had a lock on it, so it didn't get away from me. I've since sold the trailer so can't get photos, but I loved it. There was a rack on the top of the trailer already, and I just used bungee cords to secure the carts, but also used a chain in a couple of places for double security.

They rode up there beautifully. Never had any problem no matter what the weather.

What about a rack that attaches to the rear door of the trailer? I've seen it a lot its pretty much just 2 L shaped pieces that are screwed or welded to the rear door that the tires sit in then you rachett strap or bungee the shafts to the trailer. I have seen it and it works nicely. I don't have pictures of it though I am sure someone has a picture of it though.

Karen

Ruffian, I'm sort of mechanically inclined but I'm having trouble imagining your wench set up. Karen, I've seen the carriers on the back but that still leaves me with one cart inside and no more room.

I really appreciate your suggestions. More please.
default_please.gif

We mounted a hand cranked winch on the fender, with supports on the side and bottom of the trailer for support. The same type of winch used to pull engines or cars. It has a thick cable that we attached a hook on. There was a upright pole attached to the side of the trailer that was taller by about 2" than the top of the trailer, to allow room for the cart to swing over the top of the trailer. There was another pole attached at the top of the first one at a 90 deg angle. This was about 4' longThe whole works swung about 60 degrees to allow us to lift the cart and swing it to the top of the roof. . The cable went up the first pole, and out to a loop at the end of the horizontal pole. We would pull the cable through that loop and down to the cart. The hook would attach to the webbing on the carts, and crank it up!

It's kind of like pulling an engine.

I am a champion at stuffing carts into the dressing rooms of the trailers.
default_wink.png

lol...I'm no help, sorry! We just put them in the front of the horse trailers. We have two big three horse trailers. With the The Exiss has a square nose, with the Chevy you can also put another cart in the back of the truck (though we rarely do, since I could fit three easily into the tack room). I probably could with the other trailer since its a tapered nose, but I sure couldn't with my Dodge (short-bed) and the Exis. I think that would be one squished show cart!

I know I've seen those rear mount ones, but I would be afraid of it being easy for someone to steal when your stopped somewhere, or someone rearending you...or if my wife is driving...backing into something with it
default_rolleyes.gif

I am a champion at stuffing carts into the dressing rooms of the trailers.
default_wink.png
lol...I'm no help, sorry! We just put them in the front of the horse trailers. We have two big three horse trailers. With the The Exiss has a square nose, with the Chevy you can also put another cart in the back of the truck (though we rarely do, since I could fit three easily into the tack room). I probably could with the other trailer since its a tapered nose, but I sure couldn't with my Dodge (short-bed) and the Exis. I think that would be one squished show cart!

I know I've seen those rear mount ones, but I would be afraid of it being easy for someone to steal when your stopped somewhere, or someone rearending you...or if my wife is driving...backing into something with it
default_rolleyes.gif
Two - three horse trailers ---shame on you for hoging them! LOL I'd love to have my old gooseneck trailer back but that isn't happening and I'd really like to avoid spending even more money by trading trailers now when I want to get a new horse.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back