Questions about Greys genetically

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I meant to comment early--there's been mention of Chloe having a dorsal stripe & so she must be/may be dun. I had to go back to John Eberth's post on page 1 of this thread, where he said:

Also sometimes Greys will have primitive markings like a dun, especially while young, but it is NOT the dun gene, it is seen breeds that do not have the Dun gene, Example is the Arabians, the reason is not known but it is transitional and usually does not stay. This does not mean there cannot be a true Dun- Grey.
to point out that many greys do have dorsal stripes for a time. I've seen plenty that were not dun--couldn't possibly have been dun--that did have dorsal stripes. We've commented on Tallie different times "she must be dun"--jokingly of course, because we know she is not a dun.

Hello, new to this forum. Wanted to add my 2 cents on this topic. I have a gray stallion. One parent was a true gray (EK daughter) the other parent is solid sorrel. He was born a bay and started graying at 2 years old. Currently, he has a gray almost white body with black mane and tail. He is 8 years old. I have had 3 foals by him. One bred to a buckskin - produced a buckskin, Twice he was bred back to the same mare (silver dapple solid who is a double overo - parents are overo). One filly was a silver bay the other is a silver dapple. The stallion throws the color of the dam. It is my belief that he is heterzygous gray since he does not throw all grays, and is yet to produce a true gray.

Latest posts

Back