Question on hold back straps

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

georgiegirl

Reaction score
I am showing how little I know here
default_unsure.png

I would like to know what the use of "holdback straps" is. I thought perhaps it took the place of breeching on carts, but now I wonder if that is the real use.

I was looking at a sales website that said that they come in pairs. Now I really am confused.

Thanks in advance

[SIZE=12pt]Hi Georgiegirl,[/SIZE]

In this pictures, copied from Ozark Mountain,

mwbrs.jpg

The hold back straps are the long ones that go from the rings on the breeching, and in the above picture to the girth area on the horse. These would attach the cart to the horses rump & be used as brakes. They are sold in pairs because you generally need two. (One for each side.)

In the show ring, breeching is generally not used.

Yep, Bannerbrat has it right.

Hold back straps are PART of the breeching assembly, they are the straps on the breeching that attach the breeching to the cart.

Andrea

OK. Not to highjack the subject. But, I just got a harness and cart that kind of confuses me (not hard to do). The cart has wood shafts and is a very heavy duty cart with 2 bow springs on each side of the seat. What confuses me is that there are snaps in the hold back straps and I can't for the life of me figure out how they attach to the cart. I am used to a metal cart that has rings to run the straps through when wrapping the strap to attach to the cart. I will get pics in a few days when I get my computer changed over to my new one.

Katiean...

I think the holdback snaps may be to snap onto the breeching, not the cart. That way, you don't have to wrap the holdbacks each time... you wrap them around your shafts, and then snap them to your breeching. When you hook and unhook, it's faster because you just snap them right on and off.

Katiean...
I think the holdback snaps may be to snap onto the breeching, not the cart. That way, you don't have to wrap the holdbacks each time... you wrap them around your shafts, and then snap them to your breeching. When you hook and unhook, it's faster because you just snap them right on and off.

Now that makes sense to me. You wouldnt have to wrap them everytime.

Somewhere I read that you can put a strap across from shaft to shaft that acts as a breeching. In the first place, I thought that that was what "holdback straps" were. That was why I was confused with the two straps.

Does anyone know how to do the single strap across, without the breeching? And, does it work well, or not?

I ordered the holdback hardware from Jerald. They bolt onto the shaft and the breeching straps buckle into it. I still wrap a couple of times, but using the hardware seems quicker. Lots of harness parts have different names; it gets confusing.

Katiean...

That makes sense. The cart is real nice and even has a spares box under the seat. I will look into the holdback hardware Marsha mentioned.
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back