Question for breeders...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tammy Breckenridge

Reaction score
Ok so I am getting ready to go shopping for my dream horse and I have a question for you breeders. Are you more likely to sale your really good horses to people who are going to put your horses with trainers or would you let some one who is willing to do the work themselves buy one of your best horses?

Any thoughts would be great!

Thanks

Tammy

Well i purchased a horse this year from a farm that i really really like, i have been bugging the owner for the past two or three years trying to get one of her horses but i was always to late and someone else had snatched them up. Well while i was talking with them, they said that if she had kept her she would have been the only horse they would have considered sending out wih a professional trainer. I guess that made me feel really good
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
If you were going to show we'd let you take them. If you wanted them for a pet only we'd have to think about it.... but fortunately most people who want pets definitely don't want to pay the show prices!
default_biggrin.png

Lucy

To answer you're question, no; well at least not for me. I am an ammy handler, I love to show, but I also love to do all th work to get them ready (and I love them being around them 24/7) so I have no problem selling a good horse to "someone" to show other than a trainer. Now I have no problems with a horse going to trainer, not saying that, but I'm not limiting my sales by only selling them to professional show homes.

To answer you're question, no; well at least not for me. I am an ammy handler, I love to show, but I also love to do all th work to get them ready (and I love them being around them 24/7) so I have no problem selling a good horse to "someone" to show other than a trainer. Now I have no problems with a horse going to trainer, not saying that, but I'm not limiting my sales by only selling them to professional show homes.
Gee Erica is that buckskin filly for sale? LOL! Oh and I wouldn't have realized you were an ammy!

I don't know, I have been looking for just the right 30-32" miniature mare, buckskin or some dilute to cross with my 31.5" stallion and found two. One was with a reputable breeder. After inquiring twice, I have had no response from them. SO I am frustrated with the prospecting.

So I guess we could turn the tables around with your question Tammy - are breeders interested in selling their horses to ammy's? It would be interesting to hear the answer.

Because I am newer at this breed, I ask the trainers that I know to look at a horse for me to make sure I am hitting the mark that I am aspiring to and I get good solid opinions. So I use the trainers to help me make a decision, but I don't use them to approach a breeder for me.

P.S> I love the do it yourself show stuff too! But I have sent horses out too, just because I think they need more time than I have to give to get them into the winner's circle. but - I'm a newbie! LOL!
default_yes.gif

That's an excellent question and it depends on the buyer. I don't expect my foals to go to a trainer but it's nice if they do. What I want for my foals depends on their quality. If I advertise a foal as "special consideration to a show home" that means I want this foal shown, either by it's owner or it's trainer. Either or it doesn't matter. What matters is that it's shown.

Now, not all show homes are created equal. I'm a small enough farm that I feel that I can safely turn down a sale if it's not a home that's going to promote the horse. I had a local lady call me 2 weeks ago that was completely willing to pay the "show" price on a yearling filly but wasn't going to show her. I turned the offer down because I believe this filly will be competitive. And it was more important to me that she was shown than sold. I'll even discount prices as well as training/board and transportation to the right homes also.

When my clients are shopping for new show horses that they intend to send to me, I prefer to have input in the purchase. Buying horses can be a very emotional affair and not everyone can sit back and pick a horse apart that they've fallen in love with. One of my clients and I went shopping at Nationals, we looked at every A mare that was for sale. With my help, she found a great filly at a great price. There were many fillies of lesser quality for more money that she might have bought if I hadn't been assisting her. She got the most quality for her dollar. So, sometimes it helps to have an impartial eye pick apart the horse BEFORE you drop a lot of dough on it!
default_yes.gif

Well I am asking this question because for the last 3 years I have been showing my gelding in local shows and while we have done well I would like to step up to a more competitive ammy (national level) horse. I know what I want and I know I can put aside my emotions to get the right horse for me( I have turned down several that I could show, but were not any better than my gelding). But I do want to do most of the work myself ( I have always felt that if your not going to take care of your own horse whats the point?) but I have always felt very intimidated in approaching the big name barns that I like.

Thanks for your opinions,

Tammy

Well Tammy, don't be afraid, all they can say to you is "No", then move on. Someone will say yes.

Are you more likely to sale your really good horses to people who are going to put your horses with trainers or would you let some one who is willing to do the work themselves buy one of your best horses?

The answer is it depends.
default_smile.png
There are people out there that do a great job presenting their horses, some are trainers, and some like Erica, that are technically amateur handlers. I have a mental list of people that I think do a great job (some trainers, some ammys), and would be happy for my best horses to go to them.

In fact, last year I sold two NICE Red Alert colts. One went to a lady that put him with a professional trainer and the other went to an amatuer handler that I think does a great job.
default_aktion033.gif

So for me personally, I do my own evaluations of show homes and don't get too wrapped up in the "trainer" vs. "non-trainer" status.

(There is another mental list of trainers that would make it less likely for me to sell the horse knowing it was headed there!
default_new_shocked.gif
)

Last edited by a moderator:
"I don't know, I have been looking for just the right 30-32" miniature mare, buckskin or some dilute to cross with my 31.5" stallion and found two. One was with a reputable breeder. After inquiring twice, I have had no response from them. SO I am frustrated with the prospecting."

I can relate to your comment above! The more you look, the more frustrated you get. The more frustrated you get, the more you just cut to the chase when searching for a horse. Being direct and to the point sometimes comes off as being abbrasive, even if you still try to be polite.

Some sellers don't like email inquiries about there animals, they would rather a phone call.

I personally, do not want to put someone out with a phone call unless I am really sure their horse is what I want. Sometimes emails are just easier to get the general questions out of the way, and I take nothing for granted. Doesn't matter what caliber breeder they are, I always ask the same questions.

Well I am asking this question because for the last 3 years I have been showing my gelding in local shows and while we have done well I would like to step up to a more competitive ammy (national level) horse. I know what I want and I know I can put aside my emotions to get the right horse for me( I have turned down several that I could show, but were not any better than my gelding). But I do want to do most of the work myself ( I have always felt that if your not going to take care of your own horse whats the point?) but I have always felt very intimidated in approaching the big name barns that I like.

Thanks for your opinions,

Tammy
Most big names, not all (there are those few snobs), are interested in selling the horse. They will show you their best in hopes of you spending big $$$$$. So, go ahead and contact them. They'll be happy to have another person to potentially sell to.

In response to your first question, we show people whatever they ask about. If you asked us for a show quality gelding, I'd show you all the stallions and geldings we currently had for sale and let you decide what you wanted, if any of them. We don't reserve certain horses for certain people only.

Latest posts

Back