Question about bridle path grooming

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country Lady

Reaction score
This may be a silly question however as a newbie I must ask. The bridal paths are trimmed to what length? I have read the length of there ears if laid back. However I see so many stunning show horses online that have a much longer bridal path, what is the length supposed to be for showing? Thank you!!!

It all depends on the length, and set of your horses neck. Horses that have longer necks or higher head sets can have shorter bridal paths. For example:

Super2.jpg

This would probably be about as short as you would want to go, as you can see his mane falls with the natural curve of his neck.

This pic isn't the best but this mare's neck doesn't come out of her shoulders quite as high as the other horse so she holds it lower and therefore her mane is clipped back a bit further to help accentuate her neck.

IMG_1536.jpg

Hope this helps!

So you do not have a mane???
default_rolleyes.gif

I go the length of the ear, folded back, and then jiggle.

Remember, you can always take a bit more off but you cannot stick it back on!

So you do not have a mane???
default_rolleyes.gif

I go the length of the ear, folded back, and then jiggle.

Remember, you can always take a bit more off but you cannot stick it back on!
And thats fine to just do general bridle path clipping just take the ear back and clip to the tip.

However if you went to a show at the US people take off alot more.

For example if you look at the 1st picture thats about as far back as I would go. Maybe a little bit more but not by much. It goes down to the point of the shoulder.

Now the 2nd picture thats a little bit more off then I take. I did that this year to my gelding he looked like that and I don't know why I took it down that far and I didn't care for it.

Its all personal preference, do what you like, not whats going on in the ring. If you like the ear back method then do it. Shoot the horses I have that aren't showing but are doing something like driving I'll take it down just that far.

The above pics are great examples of different horses and how the bridle path helps the over all picture. I have more then one horse with a bridle path like the silver dapple :)

JMS is right here in the US you do not see show horses showing as they do in other countries. So what works there will not always work here and vice versa

Of course it is always personal preference but a very short bridle path and a bushy mane and forelock will not present a finished look here

Last edited by a moderator:
It kind of depends on what you are doing. I have kept Ally's bridle path very short, like hunter length and no more than about 2". Here she is with her mane pulled and shortened:

IMG_8657.jpg

When it is this length it is because I want to braid. Of course, you may notice that she is competing in combined driving, not the breed ring. Braiding is not allowed under breed show rules, although I wish it was. I think this looks very pretty and classic, especially when combined with a nicely banged tail.

IMG_8575.jpg

Ally also looks terrific with a long flowing mane from a short bridle path. Wouldn't be appropriate for halter though.

I don't have a regular length that I cut a bridle path. It's so individual to the horses. When I'm deciding where to take it to, I stand on the mane side of the horse, pull over the neck and hide from myself what I think I want to clip and see how it would look at that length before I even pick up the clippers. I'll usually fiddle with several different looks until I find the one that best compliments the horse. Then I buzz away.

Latest posts

Back