Pregnant mare is snotty.....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniCooper

Reaction score
It has been forever since I have been on here, but this is the best place I know of to get the best answer.....
default_rolleyes.gif

I have a mini mare that is pregnant and due sometime in the next month or so. I just went out to feed for the night and she has lots of eye boogers on one side and snot running out of her nose on the other.

What should I do? It is below freezing here and we are due to have snow tonight. She doesn't have a temp, she isn't shivering and she is definately not off her feed. She has a nice shelter that she does use and a great winter coat, but would it be best to watch and let this run its course?

Would it be better to give her penicillin? Or will it harm the foal?
default_sad.png

Hi

I've had a virus go through my barn here in Canada. I had the vet out & he put them on sputolysin which is an expectorant also clenbuterol also expectorant, but a different kind. Nobody had a temp, but some had a cough, some had a snotty nose, some had both. The only 2 that did not get it was the 2 broodmare's, but he said that it they get it I can put them on it too. 3 went on long acting antibiotics of 2 injections 48 hour apart just to protect them from secondary infection because it went on for so long. After the last injection within 2 days the cough had gone. The others got over it by themselves. I would ask your vet to come & listen to the lungs. Normally the snotty nose is the result of the stuff in the lungs. That is my experience. 7 minis, 2 big horses & 3 months later 2 still have coughs. It just takes time to go through the whole herd. I still have 4 more if it decides it's not done with my pocket book yet. Hope you get it sorted out soon.

Pennicillin won't hurt the foal, but, it sounds like a virus and penn. won't do any good. I would just wipe her eyes and nose and keep an eye on her for any other signs, such as swelling in her salivary glands, or fever, and then call the vet. A few years ago we brought home two of our horses from the trainers, they had strangles which we didn't know about at the time. I had about five pregnant mares at the same time. Two got strangels and the others I had to give Pennicillin to them for ten days. Penn. is thick and hurts the horses when given, aslo you need to aspirate the syring to make sure you don't hit a vein. At the end of the ten days these mares and I couldn't take any more. Are they up to date on rhino & flu? Otherwise it sounds like a virus bug which tends to show up this time of year. Good luck.

they had strangles
Excede is an excellent drug for treating strangles. I have heard there are new studies out within the last year that show this drug is SUPER effective on this bacteria. A great PLUS is that only two shots are needed- one on day 1 and one on day 4 (96 hrs apart). It can be given under the skin or in the muscle. The long acting formulation of this drug keeps a high blood serum level going for the duration of 8- 10 days.

I keep a bottle on hand for various bacterial problems. Its a good one for your medical kit IMO

And for the original question: I would make sure to keep any fever down. I use Tucoprim (SMZs) on pg mares and have had no problems. But, ask your vet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Relax. No fever, eating, acting normal doesn't equal sick.

Ocular and mocoid discharge are interesting, but be patient.

Dr Taylor

I agree with Dr. Taylor.

A lot depends on the type of eye and nose discharge.....If it turns thick and yellow...or greenish, than I would worry and call a vet. Always check the horse's temp as well.

Latest posts

Back