Possible Pintaloosa?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reble to me she appears bay, what I would call a black bay, but bay.

I found some photos I had saved of the last pintaloosa mare's foals (not bred/raised by me, I only got the cute little black pinto baby from her before we lost her)

MCCS_LOVE_LACEY_LACEY_S_2000_FILLY.jpg

I'm betting that the way the white over her hips looks she has a 'blanket'

MCCs_Gold_strikes_Lace_1998_Filly.jpg

I believe if I saved these right, the below two pics are the same filly:

LaceyDoll.jpg

Laceydaughter.jpg

And I believe these two are the same (and my favorite!), she is sired by Fallen Ash Scouts Robin Hood (Solid Black)

2004_Filly.jpg

spot_of_grace_right_horz.jpg

I will share some!

This mare (a black tobiano + sabino) has been crossed with my bay (homozygous black, heterozygous agouti) few spot appaloosa stallion, twice. Well, technically 3 times! She's in foal to him for next year again
default_smile.png
I don't have any decent pictures of her so I'll just post one from this year that shows her color (she has a small star and has brown eyes):

2011-04-28_19-06-27_206.jpg

This is their 2011 black leopard colt-he shed to have spots from nose to 'toes' and even has spots on his ears. No sabino, no facial white, no blue eyes, and no tobiano. He will never produce any pinto patterns unless bred to a pinto mare. This is him just a couple days old so he is sporting the newborn baby fuzzies:

2011-04-28_19-05-38_221.jpg

2011-04-28_19-08-50_2.jpg

And their 2009 bay blanketed appaloosa colt with some sabino roaning and one partial blue eye. He is varnishing out and has huge spots to his shoulders, so I'm thinking in another couple of years he will 'appear' near leopard:

061511094608.jpg

P1050640-1.jpg

I've got one more!

Here is a black varnish appaloosa stallion, sired by a black snowcap son of Rancho Casa Bellas Chianti II and out of a mare that appeared to be a silver black minimal tobiano pinto. He was born solid black and then varnished out by a year or so. He had no pinto patterns-no facial white and had no white anywhere else except for his varnish.

Q-fighting.jpg

Q-head.jpg

--This stallion is NOT silver, the silvery look comes from the appy. He did not get the silvery look until he varnished. I had so many people think he was silver when I had him for sale that I finally got him tested. No silver
default_smile.png

We did this cross two other times and received two 'toveroloosas'. They were LOUD chestnut toveros with bald faces, blue eyes, LOTS of white, and snowflake spotting/varnishing. I sadly don't have any pictures of them on my computer. I'll see if I can find some later to scan in. That 'minimal tobiano pinto' mare was carrying splash and sabino without visually showing it. She had no facial white, brown eyes, and no sabino roaning anywhere, just stockings and a 'butterfly' on her rump. It did not come from the snowcap-he also had no facial white, brown eyes, and no other visual pinto patterns. The only time he ever produced a pinto was with that mare.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can never tell visually what you have with Appies. My stallion LOOKS Black Silver Dapple but he throws Silver and Appy or has so far. He is a fooler because Dapple can have mottling. He's eight years old , solid white feet, mottling has changed from year to year increasing ( at first it was only his manhood that had it - now it's on his butt and mouth) I am wondering if he will eventually go snowflake as he has gotten 3 tiny white spots in the last 2 years. One on the underside of his neck and 2 on his belly.

2006awesome-croppedtrot2.jpg

Here is his Sire and Dam (not visually Appy but Sire has Orion in the line):
Mystical_Confetti_thumb.jpg
dame-Century-Farms-Skyler_thumb.jpg

I'll have to put the pictures of his foals in another message as this won't take all the pictures.

He was bred to a solid black mare
2006_0521Image0003.jpg

and a visually roany looking chestnut
2006_0713seattleJuly0020.jpg

Here the colts 2 and 3 years later:
DSCF0953.jpg

Seattle2009.JPG

Appies are such FUN.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a wonderful thread, i am learning so much. Thank you and please keep the photos coming.

Perhaps I am a traditionalist, but, for me, an Appy is a visual Appy- it has spots, obvious spots. Anything else is "carrying Appaloosa pattern"

A Pinto is a visual white + any other colour under the sun.

Anything else is "carrying Pinto"

And, I also have to say, a characteristiced Appy does not make an Appy for me. No spots, no straight Appy.

It is Varnish or it is characterisitced.(Is that even a word???
default_wacko.png
)

And another thing, whilst I am at it- both the "carrying" claims must be backed up by either DNA or breeding proof.

So breeding an Appy to a Pinto does not, by any thinking, get a Pintaloosa- it could just as easily get a totally solid horse carrying no genes from Appy or Pinto.

Latest posts

Back