Possible Pintaloosa?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedTango

Reaction score
I have one filly outside who's dam is a few spot appaloosa, and the sire is a black and white pinto..the filly looks like a bay appaloosa with a white blanket on her butt.. Now every pintaloosa i've had looked like a pinto with appaloosa spots.. But this foal looks appaloosa. Could she be hiding something?

We have a colt from a b/w pinto dam and appie sire.

He looks like a blanket appie.

398003723.jpg

I am told he is a pintaloosa

If the sire is not homozygous for tobiano then it is very likely the foal is just appaloosa without tobiano. I have two gorgeous loud appaloosa colts by my few spot stallion and out of a black pinto mare. One has sabino (just some sabino roaning and one partial blue eye) and the other has no pinto at all, just appy (and a leopard appy at that!). Genie, your pretty foal looks like a blanketed appaloosa to me-no pinto, unless there are pinto markings on the other side that I can't see in the picture.

Some people assume that if you cross a Pinto with an Appy you get a Pintaloosa, but this just is not true.

I would say that your foal is an Appy.

Pictures would be helpful.

Ahhh but I see way too many people think they have a pintaloosa and advertise as such just because the foal has a pinto parent. Pinto parent does not mean pinto foal-not at all. My appaloosas with pinto parents will not produce pinto unless they are bred to pinto because their pinto parent did not pass on any pinto genes (except the colt with sabino but he will never produce a tobiano foal unless bred to a tobiano). I also have a couple of solid mares by two appys and they will never produce appy unless bred to an appy. I do have one appy mare who is solid but for some sclera and mottling under her tail-she has the potential to produce appy when bred to a non appy stallion, but not my solid mares with no characteristics, no matter how many apps in their pedigree.

Yes Diane, my pintaloosa was out of a solid grey mare with no mottling or other characteristics and by a minimal black pinto. He was a very nice surprise.
laugh.gif

If the sire is not homozygous for tobiano then it is very likely the foal is just appaloosa without tobiano. I have two gorgeous loud appaloosa colts by my few spot stallion and out of a black pinto mare. One has sabino (just some sabino roaning and one partial blue eye) and the other has no pinto at all, just appy (and a leopard appy at that!). Genie, your pretty foal looks like a blanketed appaloosa to me-no pinto, unless there are pinto markings on the other side that I can't see in the picture.
The only white markings are what you see on his rump and two white spots under his tail on either side. No other white anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Diane, I get what you're saying. I have a couple of mares that produce a lot of color with my appy boys too (like the pinto mare that I talked about earlier), but if they are solid and don't have any characteristics, without that appy stallion, there is no appy foal. Of course I will let people know what they have done with an appy stallion, but I won't refer to them as appy if they are not. That just gets too confusing and people might expect loud appy foals if they breed that solid mare to a non-appy stallion (which I see all too often). I had a friend buy two black appaloosa mares a couple of years ago. We went to pick them up for her and one had sclera and mottling, but the other had zero characteristics at all (sired by a leopard and out of a varnish mare). I felt terrible for her-she was expecting two appaloosa mares, but was only getting one. She sold the non-appy because she had hoped to breed the mares to her few spot to produce more few spot/snowcap foals.

The people I'm talking about are breeding solids to solids, but because one of those solids has produced apps on a regular basis (bred to an appy of course) they think there are appy genes lurking and that they can get an appaloosa foal when it just doesn't work that way. They are either newbies or just don't really understand color and pattern genetics.

My friend was getting 50% homozygous foals with her few spot stallion bred to appaloosa mares. She knew the non-appy mare would always produce an appaloosa foal with her few spot, but she wanted the shot at the fewspot/snowcap and since that mare was not appaloosa, that would not happen. I think if she had bought her a few years earlier when her focus was any appy and not just homozygous appy, then she would have kept her. It was just disappointing that the breeders told her she was an appaloosa when in fact she was not. This was a 6 year old mare and she really had zero characteristics. She was not going to produce appy bred to a solid and she was not going to give the 50/50 chance of a homozygous appy foal bred to the friend's few spot. She kept the mare with no visual patterns, but with characteristics and received two snowcap fillies before she dispersed of her herd.

Love the foals that your solid mare has given you! I'm sure she has some genes that help the appaloosa pattern be expressed, but the appaloosa gene has to come from the sire first and then she helps it along. I guess I am not as well versed in appaloosa genetics as most (you included!), but from what I have read, I believe that is how it goes? My few spot produces mostly blankets with solid mares with zero appaloosa breeding, but he does produce near leopard and leopards when bred to the right ones, usually pintos.

I think I understand what you're saying -- but if someone is breeding for appaloosas, I would expect that one of the horses they use for breeding to be a visual appaloosa -- or why call it breeding for appaloosas? Just like in a pinto breeding program, you would normally be including a visual pinto in any breeding program. So if you're saying people would buy a 'visual solid' appy and breed it to another 'solid' and expect an appaloosa to result -- I would say they do not have an appaloosa breeding program, and they shouldn't be confused on why they didn't get an appy foal.

As to your friend, I think that's very sad, because the non-characteristic mare would have produced an appy foal since the sire was a fewspot and is therefore homozygous for appy and any resulting foal would have inherited an appy gene from the sire. I believe that chances are that "visual solid" was carrying the appy genes, even if not visual. If her stallion was truly a fewspot, then she really had no worries, since there are those with 0% patterning on the Appaloosa site that are still carrying the appy genes. Then, to cross to a fewspot, she would have been almost 'guaranteed' an appaloosa foal. Now, how she could expect to 'breed for' fewspots or snowcaps -- well, we all know that 'breeding' for those is a crap shoot.

Here's my solid mare (from Timberview), and her offspring when bred to different leopard stallions:

honey3.jpg
hezawesome2.jpg
tabasco8-04.jpg
redfeather04.jpg
sioux03.jpg

I have several "solid" mares here that produce color/patterning when bred to leopards or fewspots. My last fewspot filly was born from a leopard stallion and a mare with few characteristics, who as she matured developed minimal spotting on her rump. Spotty as a leopard stallion has produced both snowcaps and fewspots, which 'we' would expect since fewspots need a leopard or another fewspot to be in the mix of parents.

But once I purchased a full leopard mare, bred to a full leopard stallion and the resulting foal had no characteristics or patterning at birth. I would have expected him to perhaps 'spot out' if he had lived to maturity, but there are no guarantees. But you know how often those "solid" appies wind up snowflake appaloosas, varnish appaloosas, or develop spots on their rumps -- but heck, that can also take 7 + years to happen.

Like we all say, breeding appaloosa is a crap-shoot as to what you will ultimately see when a foal is born. And until the tests become available, and more is known about how some of the pinto genes affect the appaloosa ones, and the suppression of certain genes and tests for all, I just think it's fun to "see what you get!"
default_yes.gif

And then see the next year when you clip what's been developing under that winter coat....and the next clipping, and the next! Almost a new horse every year without having to spend any $$
default_aktion033.gif

default_aktion033.gif

I LOVE your minis..especially those leopard spot!

All of my mares are either appaloosa...or pinto as of now.. I have no solid mares. I would love to find some cremello or perlino, but finding those are hard here. The only solid colored horse I have is a silver bay stallion.. hopefully in the future i'll find a nice leopard spot or loud colored stallion for my appy mares..

I love spots.

You know infinitely more about Apploosas than I, and I would not think of disagreeing with you on App genetics. However, I do disagree with this statement:

... Just like in a pinto breeding program, you would normally be including a visual pinto in any breeding program. .
While I don't necessarily consider mine a "Pinto breeding program", I do love Pintos.

Crossing this stallion:

McSperittsRowdyNightImage-1.jpg

With this mare:

IMG2578_578_058-3.jpg

I got this foal:

IMG_6395-1.jpg

Even though the mare is registered as Solid, she is lab tested Tobiano. I also have more examples of mares with even less white (not owned by me) who are lab tested Tobiano, some even homozygous. So, if a person had a "Pinto breeding program", they could quite possibly use horses that "appeared" Solid in their quest for Pinto foals.

I'm just saying it does not necessarily work the same in Pintos as in Appaloosas.

I'd better quit before I confuse myself more. Pinto genetics, I feel quite safe with. Appaloosa genetics
default_wacko.png

Here is my pintaloosa, he's visually appaloosa, and his blue eyes are due to splash which is considered a pinto pattern.

Sire was my overoloosa (black near leopard, splash, sabino and varnish)

163003_190448954314100_100000469905943_698044_675870_n.jpg

Dam is our black pinto (tobiano, sabino, splash)

30849_396467134612_224524494612_4216613_5015934_n.jpg

Colt was born solid black with blue eyes:

101_2744.JPG

By first clipping he had frosting and spots:

102_3583.jpg

Most recent (photo as a 2 1/2 year old), tho he is fuzzy, but you can see his frosting extends clear up to his shoulders.. It's even more visible right now as a coming 4 year old, I just don't have any new photos.

165328_482541814612_224524494612_5886513_5969470_n.jpg

This SAME EXACT cross a year later produced this splash filly. I do NOT believe this filly is pintaloosa, she is a 2 year old and still does not have any appy characteristics..

247606_10150184440179613_224524494612_6856111_1069315_n.jpg

227055_10150184440279613_224524494612_6856112_2212377_n.jpg

249403_10150184440399613_224524494612_6856114_2801924_n.jpg

248141_10150184441809613_224524494612_6856153_650170_n.jpg

To me in order for it to be pintaloosa it must show atleast some appaloosa characteritcs. This was my filly I had, her sire was a minimal pinto who I believe was homozyogous and a near leopard varnished mare. When this filly was born she was just a black pinto but then she got more motteling, striped hooves like apps have, and she really started varnishing out. So she is a pintaloosa. I wish I had pics of her when she was a lil older.

120093terra1.JPG

My minimal black pinto stallion: (he has only 2 white marks on one side)

Bred to this grey mare:

Gave this result:

hols2010011.jpg

who grew up to be like this:

june2011.jpg

I am so amazed by those who have the overo programs, and seemingly breed 'visual' solids with a little facial white and then produce those outstanding, LOUD and colorful overos! It blows my mind! Like the crossings that Lucky-C-Acres just shared with us! Amazing!
What's funny is I was going for the appy with chrome lol not focusing on the pinto.. Of course I knew both parents were splash (both were LWO tested and both were negative) and that could possibly come through strong if both passed it, but never did I think I'd end up with that loud splash filly from that cross!

This cross below (now that I'm mainly pinto program) surprised me.

I crossed my pinto boy Doc:

24967_379335164612_224524494612_3802561_1911237_n.jpg

With this mare, a black bay solid, who is sired by a black pinto and out of a (supposed as she's registered) chestnut appaloosa mare (so she's technically "pintaloosa" bred, but has absolutely no white, no appy characteristics etc.)

268773_10150231331809613_224524494612_7266821_2515578_n.jpg

and got this foal:

300661_10150292985244613_224524494612_7807262_434830652_n.jpg

WOWZERS! Was my initial reaction of course! I assumed all along that Doc hit the paint overload button with this guy, but part of me because that mare had an appy dam had me thinking that maaaaybe she was hiding her mottling well or something and appy was coming through on this boy.. So contacted the gals at the Appaloosa Project as at the time they were looking for horses that had appaloosa parent(s) but the horse itself was visual solid etc. and asked if they'd be interested in testing her for the Lp gene, told them her history, sent some hair and sure enough she does NOT carry any appy, therefore can't pass it (I do believe they researched her dam of course and she is indeed appaloosa).. So this boy is full blown pinto, I'm betting tobiano, sabino and most likely splash (which to me is surprising as I wouldn't have pegged Doc as a splash carrier)

I do have this colt's half sister (out of the same dam) but by a loud black pinto stallion, who def. looked splash, her other side is completely white..

59162_423643419612_224524494612_4900826_7009957_n.jpg

and the kicker, I crossed the bay mare with Doc again for 2011 and got a jet black solid filly with no white! lol

269851_10150231324684613_224524494612_7266687_7937513_n.jpg

THis is a great topic. I love the pictures of the resulting foals from the pictured sires and dams. It's like opening a present when these foals arrive
default_laugh.png

Oh gosh and how could I forget about this boy!

His dam is an obvious pintaloosa, she had clearly visible pinto pattern as well as appy spots and varnish roaning.. Her sire was NFCS Reverend Steve (black pinto) and she was out of Trios Alibi (black appaloosa)

(bad photo of her, but only one I can find at the moment.. Unfortunately we lost her when this colt was only 3 months old in 2008
default_sad.png
)

100_0782.jpg

She was bred to the overoloosa in my first post..

and the result was this colt, jet black pinto, no appy characteristics, who at last hearing from his owner last year (he'd been 2) still was not showing any appaloosa coloring/characteristics:

101_2457.jpg

100_2372.jpg

Here is my mare now going permanent and has changed

When she was born looked Black Pinto

than around 2 years old got her mottling. on muzzle and butt.

So now thinking Bay pintaloosa can you guys help me out..

Dam :::

Courtney A.jpg

Sire:::

Delta squared.jpg

When April was born:

april.jpg

and now at 3 years old...

April Registry B.jpg

So I am thinking should be registered Bay Pintaloosa ?

April Registry 010.jpg

I sure wish I could upload my pictures! But because of where I live the best internet service is still dial up... we cannot get high speed.. I could post pictures up via Droid but it seems I don't have that option when im on the forums with my phone..

I had a buttermilk buckskin pintaloosa a few years ago.. she exploded with color.. I'm trying to get more appaloosas/pintaloosas showing in Louisiana, especially with the 4-Her's... I'll let youth borrow the brightly marked horses and show in 4-H and talk about the heads that turn to look and the spots!

Latest posts

Back