Patty is starting to get big

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am going to try to get some. He is a grouchy thing sometimes. I like to bicker and get under his skin sometimes. Maybe he will give it to me. He knows how I feel about pain. I could try to tell him that I am going to make my own concoction and give her a pain pill like loratab or something, and he will cave in and give me what I asked for. NO I am not really going to give her that, just going to tell him.

I have a question ? I am looking at all these cute little babies. So about how tall are they when first born? They look so little! I get excited looking at all the pics of these little ones.

My smallest born here was somewhere around 16" tall at birth up to 21-22". I had several mares that were only 27-28 inches themselves, so I had several itty-bitty babies.
But no matter how tall they are, there is nothing more wonderful than those new little ones!!

Here are some new pics of Patty. I don't believe she is in a hurry. She is always swaying her tail really good. I think she wants to wait for warm weather too. I think maybe after Easter would be a good time!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

From looking at these pics, how would you say the baby is laying?is it upside down with its head toward her head or turned around getting ready to come out, just chilling? Does it look like it is going to be a pretty good size foal? I don't think it will be so tiny. I kinda hope its not. I don't want it to be too big for her and give her a hard time in birthing. Like I can control any thing. Lol

She looks to be enjoying her pasture. And when there is a way to control the features of foals sign me up. I'm nervous about my girls. Two maidens and I hope they have little figurines. As for position of foal can't help you there. As my mom has been saying lately " he's in the library" lol. Probably enjoying the warmth
default_smile.png

Reading through some threads. What is edema. And why are some clipped and shaved so odd? I can understand shaving the blanket area, so they want get so hot?

You shave the belly and udder area, so the foal won't digest fur when trying to nurse. Most mares are shedding when they foal. We, at Magic Marker Minis, shaved more because it was difficult to tell how baby was positioned by side and rear views. We are located in AZ, so went overboare. But oir temps are in the 70's and 80's.

To answer your edema question. It's the same.kind humans get. Excessive fluid makes sweeled areas. Horses (close to foaling) will get a swollen area in front of the bag. That is edema. As the mare bags up more the edema starts to go down. It's the result of the area moving to the bag area. Some mares get more edema and their belly gets swollen underneath. Exercise helps get rid of the swelling. That's why a pregnant mare needs to get out of their stall to exercise.

Well I am glad that we finally got our fenced. She has been enjoying the freedom. Maybe she want do that.

So I went and got the alfalfa pellets. They should be called NUGGETS! I was expecting something different. Lol. I will let you guys know how they like them.

What brand did you find? How big are they? The hay pellets I get are mostly 1/4" pellets, but recently picked some up that are 1/2" (these are perfect for my stallions treat toy).

Lol I can only ever find the cubes so I can't imagine what you got. I feel like every state has there own top brands that the stores sell. For some reason I can never find pellets/nuggets lol. Usually sold out or they don't carry them.

Well, locally we have practically nothing. The CoOp sells alfalfa dehy 17%, tiny pellet that half my horses don't like (they are sold for all livestock, not equine specific); I rarely buy them.

Mostly I get Standlee hay pellets, which I have to stock up on when I'm out of area, as the closest TSC is 150 miles one-way.

I bought Dumas brand. I saw the standlee. The longs ones are about an 11/2 -2 inches long. At least 1/2 inch in diameter. I am sure that Patty will love them, and wishbone will be able to eat them. I will have to sort through and break some for Peanut. He can't even eat those big apple nuggets. I may try the standlee next time. Let's see how this goes. Oh my Chanda! That is a long way to town. You must really live out. I bet it is a nice little town. I have never been to Montana. My nephews mom is from there, and she goes back to visit family and go on big hunts.

Well I put it in their feed bowl with their feed. So far Patty and Peanut have not eaten it. Wishbone seems to like it though. I guess they will probably eat it later after the feed is gone.

Exercise is important for these pregnant ladies. I'm a firm believer that allowing them access to normal exercise helps them for delivery, as they can naturally move baby around with rolling, butt pushing, etc. Healthy exercise = better chance for healthy little ones. (as does REALLY watching them during their final "countdown". Not just every half hour -- but being there ALL the time, as babies can really come quickly and you want to be there in case you're needed.
)

Last edited:
She is getting exercise. She is loving her new yard. She ran around a good bit at first. Had us a little worried with her being pregnant. She has calmed down now. She lays down and rest a good bit. I was leaving to go fishing yesterday and saw her laying down by the steps in the cool shade. I did not see her at first so it scared me and I started hollering for her off the deck. Then I hear something and looked over the deck and there she was wallering to get up. I was so relieved to see her. (I don't know where I thought she went) then she started peeing. It was a big pee. I yelled at my son that I thought her water had broken. It hadn't. Patty was just looking and watching me. Probably thought I was a crazy lady. She is rolling around a good bit too. I don't know how well I am going to behave when it does happen. I know I have to remain calm. I know her utter is nothing like somebody's on here. Don't remember right off hand who I looked at but I had no idea they got about as big as a cows. Lol

They don't typically get as big as cows, it just looks that way in pictures. At least none of mine have gotten near as big as the cows.

I do live out in the sticks, but my Mom lives in a town 37 miles from here, we don't shop there much as their two stores are quite expensive, so we drive the other direction to a town about 60 miles away, they have two grocery stores (an Albertson's and a local chain), Shopko, 3 hardware stores, a couple lumberyards and a few implement dealers. They have a CoOp where I buy feed, but the selection sucks, I do get my feed there, but I stock up on the STandlee hay pellets when I get the chance (they store well here).

Latest posts

Back