Pasture help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhondaalaska

Reaction score
My husband wants to make a small pasture for our little mare next spring.

I saw online that I can get hay sead . What I would like to know is what grass hay seed is best for her and for our climate. We have short summers. And realy cold winters. I want something that she could graze on during the summer. We will have it split in two so that we can keep her off of it when needed but open the gate to it when we want her to be able to graze. I would like grass that is lower on sugars if there is one. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have one available to you, your County Extension Agent would be your best bet for that information. [Might have to try your next closest county, if your's doesn't have one. Its a government office, part of the Dept of Ag.] Your climate in AK is so different than that for many of us, that it would be hard for most of us to recommend a type of grass, unless other AK mini owners would chime in.

If you have one available to you, your County Extension Agent would be your best bet for that information. [Might have to try your next closest county, if your's doesn't have one. Its a government office, part of the Dept of Ag.] Your climate in AK is so different than that for many of us, that it would be hard for most of us to recommend a type of grass, unless other AK mini owners would chime in.
Yes, that is the best. We got a seed mix from the Dept of Ag when we built our house in a pasture and wanted to repair the construction site.

I will have to look , I don't know where they would be here. I know the farmers grow timothey and bromine hay here.

I will try to ask some stables here what they do.

You should be able to find a number for a County Ext Agent in the government section of the phone book.

If others have grown timothy and brome in your area, either would probably grow for you, although I'm not sure how either holds up to grazing versus cutting for hay (the animal hooves can wreck havoc with some plant species).

Latest posts

Back