Pack saddles

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have a wooden pack saddle made by LB member JO~* a few years back. I have no idea if she is still making them, but it is VERY nice. It looks like this item http://www.northwestpackgoats.com/Images/FSADDLE.JPG, but her contouring on the sideboardsds is nicer.
We've used balanced market bags with it...which means we have to take two bottles of wine -- darn! I'd love to get some of the packs on the goat site -- thanks, Shari!

All four of our horses love going for walks, and none are grass snatchers.

NW people -- I think in addition to our beach drives, we need to schedule hiking and camping at Stubb-Stewart State Park, with its horse camping and great trails.
Your welcome.
default_laugh.png

Have been very happy with the packs I got from them, very useful!

If any one is in an area with hunters or walks in the woodlands.. I would recommend getting the International Orange or any bright color panniers, so people are less likely to shoot at you.
default_wink.png

Shari said:
Maggie is 33 1/2" tall and Theia is 35 1/2" tall. I have a wooden Saw buck but I like they way that metal one is built. I also have a custom made pad for the sawbuck. Is a wonderful pad. They also sell hanging scales that would work perfect for mini's, to make sure your packs are even in weight.
The folks on that link are great to work with, they can custom make anything you want. At least they did when I was ordering things from them.
Shari, what exactly did you have them customize? It looks from the photos like you added felt padding to the breast and britchen straps at least, anything else? I'm really thinking of picking up one of these so my spare horse at the next beach drive can be "paying their way" by packing my coat, water, sunblock, camera bag, etc. It would be so nice if I didn't have to for once!
default_biggrin.png

I want it to be comfortable for them though so any info you can give me would be helpful. I'm a little suspicious of those nylon straps and the one, narrow, forward girth. I notice full-sized horse packing rigs have better breeching, double-rings and a split girth to spread the load.

Leia

Thanks for sharing all the great hiking equipment ideas!

I bought this on ebay, but I think it is the one from Ozark. The bags are okay for carrying a lunch or water, but for overnight they wouldn't be large enough. However, the harness part could definitely support larger bags. They just velcro on. Dapper Dan is 32 1/2.

I use this for our litter patrol on walks.

ddbackpack.jpg

I got the Wooden Saw Buck from a member here but is close to the one that the folks on the link sell.

I bought a nylon goat packing harness that is a bit padded from another place and the zipper Panniers. The pannier cost is on that web site. I don't remember what I paid for the harness part of it.

Have the set up packed in a box right now. Other wise I would take photos of it for you.

You would need a Saw buck, either wooden or metal, the harness for it and what ever Panniers you would like. These folks will make you what ever you would need. Call and talk with them.
default_wink.png

So no input on what features work well or what needs to be adjusted in fitting a goat pack harness to mini horses?
default_unsure.png

Leia

Each horse is different, as is the pack harness and saw buck.

The way I have mine rigged up, might not work for someone else.

And like I said, best way for me to show you how I have mine set up is photos, but it is packed in a box.

These folks offer packing gear for full sized horses and have some good photos and Articles.

http://www.outfitterssupply.com/Packing-Equipment/departments/8/

I use a no knot system. Though I don't use a top pack.

http://www.outfitterssupply.com/nak-instructions.asp

Make sure your loads are balanced.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shari said:
Each horse is different, as is the pack harness and saw buck. The way I have mine rigged up, might not work for someone else.

And like I said, best way for me to show you how I have mine set up is photos, but it is packed in a box.
Thanks for the reply, Shari. What I really wanted to know was if the narrow single-girth goat system worked well for a load like that or if you'd found that things slip or sore the horse. I don't want to drive the pack guys nuts redesigning it if it isn't going to be a problem the way it is.

My urge is always to do it "just like the big guys" but I'm trying to remember that I'm only going to have the horse carrying my coat, camera, lunch and probably some bottled water. It's not exactly an elk and supplies for two weeks!
default_laugh.png

Leia

A lot of the pack goats are the same size or bigger than a lot of the mini's. So the Saw bucks work well for the minis too. I use one of their 1" thick wool felt pads too. Keep it balanced and you should have no problems.

Maggie has packed fencing supplies and such for me in the past with no issues. She really enjoys helping.
default_biggrin.png

The metal one they have, have more flex to them and they will work with you if you want something a little different.

Michele, I would love to hear how that goes and if you aren't to far away maybe check out your pack if you have purchesed one. I live in Bayfield CO and have 2 minis who I would love to take camping and get some little pack saddles for... Mine are a little on the larger size for minis, but all the pix I've seen here so far look like they are about the same.

Katherine

Mdegnor started a thread awhile back on packing with minis. She and I have exstensive threads on this packing subject. I have made a custom mini pack saddle that is awesome and pretty much a downsized big horse concept that will answer all these questions. Go take a look at the other post :)

Sorry I cant post pictures or even get a pic on my avatar..bummer :p I only have a smart phone no computer.

I can put pictures to email so PM me and can send pics of my saddle and its adjustable fit.

Sorry, this is an old topic.

Our Baby is bored. I would love to have her tow a cart around, but I am too ignorant of how to do that and wouldn't want to hurt her. But I have been exploring the idea of having her learn to pack. I think I could manage that without help. I've been sticking all sorts of things on her back, and placing straps around her mid-section, behind the front legs. Like for example, I use a plastic U-Line bin to measure their hay, so I have Baby carry the bin out on her back to the feeding spot. It's all been kind of informal since none of this is done with a halter on. She seems pretty amenable.

I was wondering if anyone has any further thoughts about a good pack for a mini of about 30-31 inch tall. I was looking at the Kelty pictured above. Just as a starter. I'm not too sure how to measure for a pack frame so was thinking the Kelty might be a good place to start?

I love the topic and the ideas. I am in PA now, but grew up in the Rockies in Utah and basically lived and worked in the high uinta mountains all summer. I used my gelding a LOT for packing. He accompanied me both when I was hiking, and I also ponied him several times behind a full size horse when I was riding. He loved it and did very well. I never had any of the equipment that has been shown here. I simply used a little western saddle and some full size horse saddle bags that I strapped right over the seat. That left good space to strap my tent and sleeping bag across the top. It worked great for me, and we went for some long hikes and camp outs - sometimes hiking in 15 - 20 miles.

Regarding the issues about hoofcare while hiking in the rocks. I would always keep my guys feet a little longer than normal, and be sure to nicely round the hoofs with a rasp before heading out. I also always took a rasp with me to take care of any little chips he got along the way, so that they didn't have a chance to grow into anything big. I never had a problem with his feet. Have fun! I love living in the Appalachians, but the wilderness trails here just aren't what they are out in the Rockies!

I wasn't so much wanting to head out on a backwoods hiking trip. I just wanted to figure out a way to do more with our Baby. I've looked on Craigs List for a saddle, but am unsure how to size it--not to mention--I'm not too sure I would want to buy a used saddle; it might give Baby cooties or something.

Also, we haven't accustomed any of ours to gunfire; other than pellet gun, so I wouldn't go out in the woods with any of them.

Good point about the hooves, though.

I was just wondering if anyone had any feedback on the little packs that were mentioned at the beginning of this thread.

Not much response on this one...

I checked out the dog packs and wasn't too enthused. I found a place that sells oak sawbuck type packs; I'm pretty interested; am waiting to hear back on my questions.

I have a question... Apparently there is an option to have nylon rigging vice leather. My inclination is leather. Can anyone comment on the benefits/drawbacks of leather vice nylon-type webbing?

I have a simple pack. I got it on ebay but I think it was sold by Ozark. I use it when we go for walks to pick up litter. I'll try to take a picture next time we go out. The only thing I don't like about it is the zippers on the packs only go one way, instead of zipping up to the middle. I might try buying a couple of canvas backpacks and having them sewn to the strap. The framework is like a harness. It is nylon.

Well, I think I'll go with the leather rigging. It costs a smidge more, but I just kind of like leather better. It might require a little more upkeep, but I really don't care for the synthetics.

I'm not sure Baby is as excited by this as much as I am, but I've measured her and will be ordering next week. I think she'd make a really nice cart horse, but this seems like something I can more easily handle without harming her. So maybe, next we can work on the cart business.

I have soft padded Nylon for the harness part. I would love a padded leather one, but custom made, they are super spendy.

The load looks a little unbalanced, but it isn't.

MaggieSwBuckA2Marcha.jpg

Above, she is loaded up to help clear paths in the woods...

And Below,, she is loaded up with fence insulators so I can get those up.

MaggiepaniersFeb12.jpg

You can get the harness part from Quality Llama supply.... I use a double girth.

For Sawbuck and useful panniers....
I bought the Panniers and thick pocket pad from these folks.

http://www.northwestpackgoats.com/panniers.htm

However, I don't like their set up for the harness part. I want a rig like they do on the big horses. It helps stable the load and is more comfortable.

I checked out the Northwest Pack Goats folks that you mentioned originally, Shari. I like to support made in USA-type people, but I found another place, also in Idaho, that I liked better--mostly because I could get everything I wanted at the same place. Like NW Pack Goats, they have a sawbuck with oak crossbars and poplar sidebars.

I did change my mind on the leather rigging. I think leather looks nicer, but I opted for cordura rigging... I started thinking about it, and if I'm learning to fit Baby to the rigging, I envisioned leather with a bunch of holes punched in it every quarter inch while I change my mind ten billion times. If/when this works out, I can always swap the cordura rigging for leather (I asked) besides it keeps the weight down a wee bit.

I opted for the double girth, also. It just seemed to make more sense.

Instead of the thick pocket pad, you mention, this place had synthetic felt pads that strap to the pack frame: http://bantamsaddletack.gostorego.com/shop-mini-pack-gear/saddle-pads/stayput-saddle-pads.html I thought this was a really good idea, because my vision of how I'm going to train Baby is that I'll either remove the rigging or use big zip-ties to get the rigging out of the way, and then I'll set it on her back, take it off, set it on, etc. Not having to deal with a blanket seems like it would make it easier.

By the way, once we do get to the point of strapping her in--vice just setting the pack frame on her back to accustom her, I do have a friend that packs with full-size horses and mules. I figure, he can check me to make sure she's rigged correctly. Also, because Baby is just under 2.5 years old, I have no intention of putting any weight on her until she's 3 or maybe 4 years old? I just want to start training her to do something. I never realized that unregistered horses were looked down upon until after reading here on the forum, so I want to teach her to do things that might make her more valuable to keep her off the meat wagon in case I'm no longer able to care for her.

Latest posts

Back