Opinions needed please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrookeB

Reaction score
Maiden mare is 115 days in foal with this udder, is this normal ???!

Attachments

• IMG_0714.jpeg
    IMG_0714.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Can you get another angle? Maiden mares are so funny. They can build an udder, deflate it, or build one and keep it for months and months. Likewise, they could go all the way to delivery without having a significant udder. Best suggestion I could give would be to check her daily, watch for expressed udder fluid to turn from clear to milky white/yellow and for the pH to drop. Foaling will happen within 24 hours.

Can you get another angle? Maiden mares are so funny. They can build an udder, deflate it, or build one and keep it for months and months. Likewise, they could go all the way to delivery without having a significant udder. Best suggestion I could give would be to check her daily, watch for expressed udder fluid to turn from clear to milky white/yellow and for the pH to drop. Foaling will happen within 24 hours.
Ok I’ll do that thank you, I’m so worried I gelded my stallion not going to have anymore babies but really wanted this last one hope everything turns out ok :(can some mares have hormonal swelling of the udders is this always abnormal for the most part????

My mare has that much udder when she isn't bred, but she isn't a maiden. I'm told clover can cause swelling, so can being overweight.
I just took these…
I really hope it’s nothing bad :(

Attachments

• IMG_0727.jpeg
    IMG_0727.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0728.jpeg
    IMG_0728.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0729.jpeg
    IMG_0729.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
What's her overall body condition look like? I'm not seeing anything I'd be worried about, just experiencing hormones. Take a deep breath and relax. It's going to be whatever it's meant to be and I think it's meant to be a healthy, happy foal!
It's like looking at a sound horse. If you look at it long enough, you'll find something to make it look lame.

What's her overall body condition look like? I'm not seeing anything I'd be worried about, just experiencing hormones. Take a deep breath and relax. It's going to be whatever it's meant to be and I think it's meant to be a healthy, happy foal!
It's like looking at a sound horse. If you look at it long enough, you'll find something to make it look lame.
Thank you for this, I just always thought any udder development prior to six weeks maybe eight weeks before foaling is usually a sign of Placentitis.

Thank you for this, I just always thought any udder development prior to six weeks maybe eight weeks before foaling is usually a sign of Placentitis.
I think placentitis would be manifesting in more substantial udder development with fluid expressing... I don't personally feel this is indicative of placentitis.

I'm going to disagree...sort of. I'm not sure it would be placentitis, this is super early in a pregnancy. I haven't really dealt with it much, but when I've heard of it, it's usually way later in the pregnancy to present like that. But unless your mare is horribly overweight I would have the vet out. Does she look like she is pregnant? Let's see a picture of all of her.

I'm going to disagree...sort of. I'm not sure it would be placentitis, this is super early in a pregnancy. I haven't really dealt with it much, but when I've heard of it, it's usually way later in the pregnancy to present like that. But unless your mare is horribly overweight I would have the vet out. Does she look like she is pregnant? Let's see a picture of all of her.
I’ll get a photo in the morning, she’s not fat just thick normal, maiden mare, 117 days only so she doesn’t have a “pregnant” look. I hand bred her to my stallion the last week of March every other day ending on the 31st. I’m very confident she’s pregnant as she never went back in heat and she’s very obvious when she is. I had the stallion in a pasture along side her pen since then and she won’t go near him.

Was she bred last year at all? I was thinking more about coming into heat even though she was already pregnant than not being pregnant at all.

Was she bred last year at all? I was thinking more about coming into heat even though she was already pregnant than not being pregnant at all.
I’m sorry can you explain this, I don’t quite understand what you are trying to say ??? “Bred last year?” do you mean maybe she’s not pregnant just coming into heat?

Last edited:
No, I mean was she exposed to your stallion at all last summer or fall? Is it possible she is further along in her pregnancy? I have heard of pregnant mares looking like they were in heat, and breeding although they were already pregnant.

Back