Not Again!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krickette

Reaction score
Mist is my 9 or 10 year old TB mare. She has hives again this year. I'm pretty convinced it's some kind of plant that she's allergic to or something. She only gets it in the warmer months, and she's gotten it every year so far that we've had her. I have no idea where to even start looking, though! None of our other horses have ever gotten hives before that I know of. I'll be watching Jazz (Mist's daughter) to see if she gets them, too, but she hasn't shown anything, yet.

Anybody else ever had this problem?

Just a thought.........I have a mare that is allergic to black fly bites. She swells up all over, looks like she has mumps. She is on an antihistimine from the vet, and I have her wear fly sheet, mask and leg wraps. Looks rediculous, but helps a lot. I wonder if maybe that could be the cause? Good luck, sounds like no fun.

Alicia

I recently finished a large chapter on skin problems, wish I could share it now! Sorry!

Check your feed and hay. These could be protein bumps. You would have to do a process of emlimatination to figure out which source of protein it's coming from. But seeing how it seems to be seasonal, maybe it's just a bunch of fly bites?

We had something like this going on and could not figure it out until another farm nearby had horses break out too. We were replacing some of our rubber feed pans every spring and something that the pans were treated with was causing some of the more sensitive horses to break out in hives. We switched to different feeders and haven't since had a problem like that.

Also had one break out where a horse was rubbing on a post that ants had taken over.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back