New Purina Omolene Horse Feeds, anyone tried it out yet?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMS Miniatures

Reaction score
Eversince Purina came out with the new feeds I was just wondering has anyone tried them and liked them or disliked them? Have you had any issues with it? This is for miniature horses only and I'm paticuarlly interested in the Omolene feeds..

Last edited by a moderator:
Wanted to bump this up to the top as I am interested in hearing about them too. I know a lot of people who have fed these to big horses all with rave reviews. My Mom is feeding the OM 500 which is almost identical to thier Race Ready, but with fewer molasses. So far so good.

Eversince Purina came out with the new feeds I was just wondering has anyone tried them and liked them or disliked them? Have you had any issues with it? This is for miniature horses only and I'm paticuarlly interested in the Omolene feeds..

Hi I have used purina all my life with our horses big or small...I'm using enriched 32 by purina..Its a pelleted feed and I have had excellent results..I have miniature horses and wouldnt feed them anything else...They love it...and they look great...In feeding enriched 32 I know my pregnant mares get what they need thru there pregnancy and its great for weanlings...I just cant say enough about it...

We use Purina Horse Feed for the horses small and big.

We use the 200, Junior and Senior feed. I am really happy with the results. One of our 4 year old thoroughbred colts is very sick and has cancer. The Oltium is the only feed he will eat.

I have always used Purina when I got into these minis, never had 1 complaint. I did switch to the mini feed because the Purina feeds were causing my show horses to fat, but then I switched back cause I didn't like the results. I have just started out the new feeds a couple of weeks ago and 2 out of 3 horses have coliced and 1 has died and the other is recovering and hopefully will be fine. 1 was getting the new Omolene 200 and she has been on 200 all her life and once the switch was made she coliced, hoping she will recover, the other was getting feed the Omolene 400 and thats an awful strange looking feed and the horse died from that and he was on the 200 before the switch and it was only 2 days. I never, ever, had this bad case of colic before.

I'm not blaming the feeds but it does make you worry and just wanted to see if anyone else has tried it with their minis.

We use Purina Horse Feed for the horses small and big. We use the 200, Junior and Senior feed. I am really happy with the results. One of our 4 year old thoroughbred colts is very sick and has cancer. The Oltium is the only feed he will eat.
Are you using the new feeds that came out?

Are you 100% positive they coliced/died from the feed?

I know a rep for the feeds, I just took care of her place a few weeks ago. I have never seen better looking horses. Excellent shape, excellent shine and watch out when you went in there for the feed bucket as they wanted it now!

I actually like the strange looking feed........I think its the 400?

We use Purina Horse Feed for the horses small and big. We use the 200, Junior and Senior feed. I am really happy with the results. One of our 4 year old thoroughbred colts is very sick and has cancer. The Oltium is the only feed he will eat.
Are you using the new feeds that came out?

We are going to order a bag of feed today and he if he will eat it.

I know you asked for info on minis being fed Omolene, but I am not using it for my minis--only on my big mares. We are using Omolene 500 for them and everything is just fine.

How quickly did you make the switch to the new feed? What else has changed? New hay? New pasture? New supplements?

No nothing new has changed for them except for the feeds. The filly she has been on 200 all her life so I just gave the new one straight away to her, plus I also didn't have the old bags of feed anymore. The one who died I slowly introduced him to the 400 and he ate it with no problems, but like I said a couple of days later he suddenly died.

Like I said before I'm not blaming the feeds, this wasn't a post trying to start a anti-purina deal, I was just asking to see if anyone else was having issues and by the looks of things everyone is doing great and I'm just having rotten luck. It's been a long time since I had a colic, its just wierd that they would happen one after another, but like I said the only thing that has changed is the feed.

Oh the filly is doing well. We are just waiting for her too poop. We took her on a trailer ride last last night and she did there and you could see the grain she had that morning but she won't go on her own. The good news is the mineral oil did pass thru yesterday, and alot of it came out, so she isn't blocked. I'm waiting to call the vet this morning too see what he wants to do next since she hasn't pooped on her own, but everything else she is fine eating, drinking, bright eyed, gut sounds, not what we had like almost 24 hours ago.

As far as I know, isn't the addition of the Amplify nugget the only change to the Omolene 200? I work for a Purina dealer, and we have sold a ton of it, no one has come back with any problems. The other feeds seem to be doing well too. We have a hard core competitive endurance rider that goes through a hot of 400, which used to be Complete Advantage. He as hesitant to make the switch, but did and has had no complants. His horses are basically getting that as thier complete diet, along with Athlete.

Did you by chance to an autopsy on the one that you lost? I would be interested to see what it came back like. I am very, very sorry for your heartache.

What are you switching your kids to now, feed wise?

Purina horse fed has been recalled a couple of times over the years... just google it.

I have a coupon for their new fed but all my mini's are just too fat as is and don't need it.

Was thinking about the Senior fed for my rescue Icelandic but I have a feeling it won't work as she has chronic founder.

I have been using Nutrena's Safechoice with really good results on the said Rescue mare. Only brand I can find local, that I can use to feed up a under weight mare with Chronic founder.

Last edited by a moderator:
They have already started being switched over to Nutrena SafeChoice
Nice to know I am not the only one using this feed.
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back