Need suggestions to buy and bake organic

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outlawridge

Reaction score
Am really wanting to switch over to organic flours and other foods, plus get back into baking bread etc and hope that some of you have input you can share with me. For sure I do not want to buy or bake anything anymore with white flour, but need input on how to retrain my brain for baking with organic flour, where to buy, and hopefully some recipes too.

Also, has anyone ever purchased from Azure Standard? Some people here have asked me to join in their bulk purchases and was wondering if any of you have experience with this company.

I really appreciate any and all input and direction. Thanks so much.

We have a small organic store about 10 miles from us where I have never shopped. It is out of town but located near a large well organized gated community. In town, we have an Ingles, a large grocery store near us, that has a section in produce for Organic produce. A head of organic iceberg lettuce is $3.29....for an idea of the markup.

If you have farmers markets in your area, I would suggest going to them and talking with the farmers. If you approach your local grocery stores and talk with them, they may stock organic items on a trial to see if they will sell in their area.

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to look online, on places like craigslist ect. Try health food stores. Some of the stuff is not labled for human consumption. like raw milk. It can only be sold as pet food because it is not pasturized. I dont know if the same holds true for grain products.

I found a lady by me that grinds her own wheat flour and she is willing to trade for raw milk, so there are people out there. I think stuff like this is coming back into 'style' and it will be easier and easier to find soon.

Ps Outlaw ridge......
default_laugh.png
I have been thinking of the psillium cookies. How is that going? I thought, what about cream puff style? Bake a cookie and inject the psillium or guar gum, which is the main ingredient in San Blast which I think also works great.

oh well good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I order from Azure Standard for a whole lot of years. Great prices and products.

Also have been eating...organic for goodnes..18 years. Makes a lot of difference.

Hubby is not always so keen on whole wheat and it is too heavy for some recipes. We like and use.. Montana Mills... Azure carries it.

Added: while I eat certified Organic foods....you still have to know where the food comes from.

Personally I would not use Craiglist for buying organic foods.

Also personally see and know from who ever you buy Raw milk from does things. Because I have seen a lot of people not know what they are doing and make people very sick from said milk.

I used to buy some out standing goats milk from Bainbridge IS WA. Now they knew what they were doing and had a very clean product.

Haven not found a source down here yet. Yes.. there are people selling goat milk...but I would not touch it with a 10' pole.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all so much!! I just spent another hour going through the Azure Standard catalog and sale book. They sure do supply from lots of different companies. I'm thinking of ordering coconut flour for baking sweet stuff, which I found online. Also definitely want the whole wheat and maybe another flour.

I had my first taste of raw milk this summer and fell in love!!. I normally only buy skim milk from the store and cannot handle 2% or whole, physically. But I had no trouble with the whole raw! Found out the lactose intolerance comes from pastuerization? Guess most people here have been drinking raw milk their whole lives. Me from Wisconsin, never did!
default_rolleyes.gif
Now I want a mini milk cow because I consume almost a gallon a day of the store stuff myself. Yes, I am a milk baby! And yes, you do need to be very careful.

Regarding health food stores etc, we live 70 miles from the closest WalMart let alone a health food store! Good advice that I do appreciate, however it just isn't realistic for me so I guess I'll do the online thing and Azure. Even to get foods from Azure several of us set up a network caravan to get it here from Sturgis, SD. Next time I am in Rapid City, SD I will check out the store there though! We go about 4 times a year to buy dog food. Farmers Markets are the same thing. Everyone grows there own but no one sells any. Guess I better get busy on my gardening plans!

StellaLenoir, I forgot all about the psyllium cookies!
default_wacko.png
:DOH! Too much on the brain lately. I WILL get cracking on that! Thanks for the reminder.
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back