Need feed advice

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Georgia

Reaction score
I am new to mini's, but not new to horses(daughter showed quarter horses and I showed jumpers growing up). I just brought 2 yearling colts and would like to know what feed to use. I have been useing a 10% all grain sweet feed with my 4 year old mini gelding that I drive and he did well with it, but he now will sift out the corn and not eat the corn. I've been told that it's not good to feed sweet feed to minis as it has too much fat. Right now they are on a mixture of half 10% all grain sweet feed and half 16% foal pellets. What should I be feeding my minis? I know if I change them to a new feed to do it slowly. I just want to feed them correctly. Thanks

I have just switched over to a new feeding plan that my neighbor has been using on his horses for the past 6 months. He was recommended by his cutting horse trainer (who he sends 3-4 two year olds to every year for breaking & cutting training) to try this new feed mixture he came up with. I must say that I am VERY SHOCKED at the dramatic difference that this mixture made. He was feeding 10 lbs a day to most of his QH's (approx. 15-20 every year) so that's a very high feed bill per month. With this mixture, he has reduced the amount by half and the horses have GAINED weight, muscle tone, and a lot of shine even in their winter coats. NONE of them, even the weanlings/yearlings/etc. have hay bellies or such and they all look like they are worked daily, which they aren't. Also, none of them are "hot" from the corn or oats BUT they get plenty of exercise in paddocks for atleast half the day, so they are not "pent up" in stalls all day. Anyways, I think I will start to feed it after my current bags of feed run out.

Here is the mixture:

50% Sweet Feed (12%)

25% Cracked Corn & Wheat (comes in the same bag already mixed and is 50% cracked corn and 50% wheat)

25% Whole Oats

For example if you feed a horse 2 lbs. per day total - you will feed 1 lb. a day of sweet feed, 1/2 lb. of cracked corn & wheat and 1/2 lb. of oats per day. Of course you need to have a free access salt block and mineral block for them along with plenty of hay and fresh water as well.

I am also thinking about adding a teaspoon of BOSS per feeding for more shine as well. I will see how this feeding works for me - hopefully it will go well. I wouldn't think just from reading about the mixture above that I would have switched to it, but after seeing the results myself - it's enough to make me want to switch over.

This is just an opinion, as it has worked for a professional cutting horse trainer and now my cutting horse breeder neighbor as well - thought I would give it a shot myself and will be SLOWLY switching them over.

Last edited by a moderator:
My objection to sweet feed, besides the sweet, is the corn. Horses are not made to metabolize corn or wheat. Wheat and corn are cheap and that is why they dominate food--including for humans. Think profit.

Oats and barley are the best grains for horses.

I avoid buying any food for my dog or hroses that contains corn or wheat. Usually the wheat is "midlings" which is generally stuff swept up off the floor. I am not as strict about wheat for my dog as they are omnivors and able to digest it better.

An occasional treat with wheat or corn isn't a big deal, but feeding it daily is not good IMO.

Not a fan of any sweet feed at all for minis.

Most of my minis are on Purina Strategy, hay, and grass pasture. Very careful on the grass during spring and new fall growth.

I agree with Marsha about the corn....... for BOTH dogs and horses.

And I'd like to Ditto Marty about the Purina Strategy. It's a very good feed that includes vitamins and minerals.

As for how much to feed each horse? How much are YOU feeding each of yours??? Our yearlings are currently getting between 2 to 4 cups grain twice a day. We feed some more because they need it.

I feed Kent's Dynasty feeds, I feed two types and have a total of 2 horses on one (Dynasty Show) and 3 on Dynasty Junior.

I have been quite pleased with this feed so I don't plan on changing any time soon. I don't care for feeding sweet feeds. My horses never done well on them and the mare would get so gittery and spooky when on the sweet feed. JMO.

I'm feeding the colts 2-3 cups twice a day and my 4 year old and 2 cups twice a day. They all also get hay and are turned out everyday.

Strategy and Safe Choice or Safe & Sound are all good feeds - premixed, vitamins etc added. I'm feeding Bluebonnet Equilene 14 right now, so far so good - we've been on it for a month or so.

Jan

I feed my guys Alfalfa/timothy mix hay and a Ration Balancer (Gro 'n Win Alfa). So simple
default_biggrin.png

My big guy does GREAT on sweet feed....my minis do horribly on it. I definitely do NOT recommend sweet feed for the little ones. They lose a lot of weight on their toplines-minis need a higher protein diet than the bigguns for some reason. Corn not good for horses because it takes ALOT of energy for them to digest it. That's valuable calories when you're trying to maintain/increase weight.

I have never used anything but grain for my horses, big and little.

Over the years I have adapted my feeds slightly for the little ones, I feed a lot more Beet Pulp than I did with the Arabs, and I also feed Alfalfa pellets, soaked.

I have never had a problem keeping them in good weight.

The horses all get fed the same base feed, Barley + BP + AP and to that I add chaff and BOSS and flax, ground.

They also get full fat soya and peas, I mix my own feed up at a dustbin load a time, and I use no molasses.

They get free choice hay.

All my horses are in brilliant shape, maybe a little overweight.

I am not sure that the idea that grain takes more to digest than complete feed is correct.

I would never use a complete feed as I like to know exactly what my horses are getting.

I can see that if you just have one or two, a ready mixed complete diet is maybe a good option, but for me, feeding has always been something that really interested me, so I enjoy getting all the ingredients and adjusting them as the winter progresses and the needs of the horses changes. You cannot do that with complete feeds, you can only feed more or less, and that is not, IMO at least, the best way to do it.

I feed Strategy to all my horses ,except for three . I have a 30 year old Arab on purina senior, and a 26 year old mini on senior and soaked alfalfa cubes. I have an insulin resistant cushings mare on Wellsolve . They are all doing well and look good. My show horses get Alfalfa and beet pulp and 2 cups of stategy twice a day. Some of my horses get only one cup of srategy twice a day and look good then I have some mares with foals who are getting three cups twice a day and one mare who gets four cups twice a day, her foal is eating a lot of the mares feed. Most of my horses are getting coastal hay. I have tried different feeds and always go back to Strategy. It is a good feed for all ages . You will just have to start feeding your horses about 2 cups twice a day and then adjust it for each horse. Good Luck.

I am not a big fan of sweetfeed and not a big fan of corn. As said earlier, horses can not metabolize it. My vet and nutrionist claim all feed is similar, but it best to stick to a brand the manufactures everything, like Purina or ADM, Progressive. Avoid Wheat Midlings and corn on the lable.

We use 14% ADM for everyone.

16% for mares and foals to a year.

ADM's brand os Stabalized Rice bran pellets for those hard keepers.

ADM's Moorman Quadblocks and Loose Mineral.

white salt and trace mineral blocks in the stall.

My vet compliments me all the time. My bill is high, but they are worth it.

How interesting that some of you find that sweet feeds, that work well on your large horses, don't work well with the minis. My guy is on just oats now and I plan to keep him on straight oats for the first week to ten days that he's here. Then I will add in his supplements and give that a good week to ten days for him to adjust to them (CocoSoya, Farrier's Formula, and Strongid in SmartPacks and flax meal that isn't in his SmartPacks). After he's adjusted to that, it is my plan to begin lowering his oat intake and adding in Omelene 200 a little at a time, mixed with the oats, until I find the combination that he works best on. He will also be on a good grass hay, though I understand that he has been on alfalfa in the past. I'm keeping a very open mind about feeding with him, as the minis seem to have different needs than the bigger guys that I'm used to, so you and I are in the same boat. I'm glad you started this thread, it's very intersting and I am learning along with you. Best of luck with your new minis.

I just started feeding Nutrena Safe Choice as recommended by a trainer to the horses I will be showing this year. After seeing the posts, I am now worried that I am not feeding enough. I am giving my yearling mare 1.5 cups 2X a day and the 3 year old mare and 2 year old stallion 1.25 cups 2X a day. I have not started any consistent conditioning yet due to the weather, but would increase about .5 cup 2X a day when working them out every day. They get a small flake of hay morning and night. If they are not put on any pasture is this enough?

Deb E... Do you know how much one of your cups of SafeChoice weighs?

Here it takes me 1 1/2 cups to equal 1 pound. Right now my bred mares are getting 2 pounds a day. My yearlings are getting 2 pounds a day and my other older horses (2 yr and up) are getting just 3/4 lb a day.

This is with free choice bermuda hay. And they are doing well on it.

Deb E... Do you know how much one of your cups of SafeChoice weighs?
Here it takes me 1 1/2 cups to equal 1 pound. Right now my bred mares are getting 2 pounds a day. My yearlings are getting 2 pounds a day and my other older horses (2 yr and up) are getting just 3/4 lb a day.

This is with free choice bermuda hay. And they are doing well on it.
I think a cup is only about 7 ounces. So that is why I am concerned. It is hard not to get confused with the differences in cups and weight of the feed and estimating the weight of the horses. I am fairly new to minis and showing as well. I had a huge problem with bellies last year. This is a whole new program for me. I certainly want to make sure they are getting enough. Here is what the Safe Choice bag says but this seems like an awful lot.

Activity Level - lb. feed / 100 lb. Body Weight

Maintenance - 0.25 to 0.5 lb. feed / 100 lb. BW

Light Exercise - 0.5 to 0.75. feed / 100 lb. BW

Medium Exercise - 0.75 to 1.0. feed / 100 lb. BW

Heavy Exercise - 1.0 to 1.5. feed / 100 lb. BW

When it comes to feeding, determining how much to feed has been a big challenge for me!

One thing I did that has proven to be a BIG help was to start thinking of feeding in terms of POUNDS and not CUPS.

Then, I found a pre-marked measuring cup at the feed store that shows you what is 1/4 lb, 1/2 lb, 3/4 lb and 1 lb. One side is for sweet feed type feeds and the other side is for pelleted feeds. I tested it with a digital scale and found it to be accurate.

For $5, I like that I really have a good idea how much I'm actually feeding each time. It's also easy for my husband and children (16 and 11) to do the job when I ask for their help.

Latest posts

Back