Murphy's Oil Soap Use?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rubyviewminis

Reaction score
Okay harness persons, I just received my gorgeous bitting rig from Star Lake and I can't get over the quality of it. I won't do anything until I have a chance to fit it, and the weather has not cooperated. My horses are filthy either in deep snow or mud because it is snowing and freezing the ground then warmer and unbelievably muddy.

Anyway, before I touch it I searched this forum and found all kinds of products all of you use to clean your leather harness. So should I use a conditioner on it before first use? And I just wondered if there is a particular type of Murphy's oil soap you use or just the kind in the grocery store or Wal Mart? I had never seen that used before for cleaning leather, we always used a mix of baking soda or saddle soap. I am not a big fan of saddle soap, and wondered if there are different type of it, and also wondered about the black Fiebings saddle soap. Who likes to use it and why?

I feel kind of stupid asking these questions, but I sure want the harness I buy later to last and be taken care of the best I can. I already use Lexol as a conditioner and the Harness Honey looks like a good product. Thank you.

I just use the regular Murphys to clean my harness. Put a little in a bucket with warm water and wipe with a cloth. It doesn't suds up like soap, but works anyway.

I also LOVE the Harness Honey for conditioning. A little goes a looong way. I wear vinyl or latex gloves and apply it with my hands and after it soaks in wipe with a soft cloth. I haven't tried the Lexol. With a new harness, I don't think there is a need to wash it first, just condition it. Good Luck
default_saludando.gif

As far as I know, there is only one Murphy's Oil soap. We use it mostly for "deep cleaning", not just wiping it down. You can use just a damp cloth to wipe it down. As far as conditioning, you should only have to condition about once a year. I doubt you should need to condition it before use.

Be sure to get your spot at the ADS Harness Webinar that will "air" tomorrow night. http://www.americandrivingsociety.org/webinars.asp Greg Hunt will go over harness care during that webinar.

Myrna

Thanks for the help. I will sure try to watch the Webinar, thank you

How do you clean a biothane harness that has some leather segments within the harness - (leather lining on collar, saddle, etc.)

As far as I know, biothane only needs a damp rag. So just clean the leather with the Murphy's and water.

Myrna

Latest posts

Back