More COLOR genetics questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rubysmommy

Reaction score
Ok, first let me start out by saying that I have mainly been around QH's and have only had mini's as companions, never for breeding. Therefore, I have never attempted to set foot in the confusing world of color genetics. However, We purchased a mini mare a few months back who is in foal (long story) and now it's getting me thinking about what her foal may come out looking like. I have done a small amount of research but every site I visit seems to have different information so I thought I would come here to see if someone can help... Here are my questions...

1. What coat pattern does my mare have? Her only white markings are along her topline. However she does have a very light roaning spot on her right side, but it does not show up in pictures very well. She also has a large amount of flaxen in her tail that does not show up well in pictures... not sure if that matters or not
default_smile.png

2. What color (including coat pattern) is the stallion she is bred with ?

3. What options could the foal be? ( the sire is not tested homogeneous pinto but has thrown 5 foals, all pintos)

Thanks so much! I really appreciate any help!

Mare:

ruby1.jpg
PICT0096.jpg

Stallion:

Mayhem.jpg

Mayhem.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mare is sorrel/flaxen, stallion looks to be silver black pinto.

What silver does is causes all the black points of the horse - legs, mane and tail - to turn whitish silver colored. You can see the dark streaks in his tail. The body of the black horse is like the stallions... not really black looking, but diluted to a shade of greyish silver. In a bay horse the legs, mane, and tail will be like that of the silver black, but the body won't be diluted as much as the gene only effects black pigment.

The marks on her back is what is referred to as lacing. It is genetic, but not a pinto gene.

Provided we don't know if he's homozygous black or silver... You could get black, silver black, and sorrel. Often times red horses can carry the Agouti gene - it's what causes bay, but it's only visible on black based horses which is why it hides. So if that's the case (don't know what her parents are) you can add bay and silver bay in the mix. And of course any of those can be pinto.
default_yes.gif

Thanks! I didn't mean to post the same picture of the stallion twice, this is the other picture I meant to post of him. does the roaning on his leg mean he could have the sabino gene or does he need to be roaning all over? Also here are a few pictures of that hard-to-see roaning spot on the mares right side... it is light but looks really light in pictures. Could this be considered a pinto pattern in her? Again, Thanks for the help... I have no experience in the color genetics world!

This picture was taken a few weeks ago...

PICT0089.jpg

This is a picture of her as a yearling... the spot is hard to see but its there...

Shawanoshow1y.jpg

Here is the other picture I meant to post of the stallion that shows his roaning...

May-1.jpg

Not entirely sure what that funny spot on the mare is, but yes I'd say the stallion carries sabino. Especially because tobiano, the pinto gene causing his body pattern, does not create face white by itself, so must be something else causing it, and it looks like sabino. Couldn't see the face white in the first pic.

Very cute mare!

Just throwing in my two cents......Your stallion probably has Sabino which shows with the white on his face. AND your little mare's spots on her back are now thought to be Sabino as well (and yes, genetic). There are tests regarding the "Lacing" still on going. The mark on her tummy may also indicate Sabino.....The resulting foal's color may help answer, or you may want to have them color tested.
default_biggrin.png

Thank you both for the help! I dont own the stallion... I just bought the mare and she had already been bred to him... Not to found of him to be perfectly honest, but we loved the mare so decided to go with the sale. We are VERY excited about the baby however!! I don't ever plan to breed this mare again. (I am not a breeder, just have mini's for fun and some local showing) Her only two previous pregnancy's ended in dead foals because of malposition of the foal so we will see how this one goes. Even though we are not going to breed her again, I think it would be neat to have her tested just to see what all she is hiding!
default_smile.png
Thanks again!

I do hope all goes well with the foaling.

Has the mare got a Tobiano parent, by any chance?

The snip on the mares nose and looks like a white fetlock tell me pinto. The stallion looks like bay pinto, maybe silver bay.

Latest posts

Back