Miniature Horse Websites

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All of the above are very important. But one thing I like to see, is where the navigation bar is placed. If they are at the top of the page, they should also be at the bottom so whenever you need to go to another page, you don't have to scroll back up. If they are placed on the side of page, they shoud move with the page. This saves so much time from scrolling. Just a suggestion. We have navigation bars at the top and bottom. Works great. dionne
Very smart, thanks! I'll change mine next time I update!

I like to see approximate heights and expected mature heights of foals. I LOVE to watch short videos that haven't been enhanced but show natural movement.

I dislike music on websites. I dont like small pictures, and I really dont like the pages that have a busy background. No offense but you cant read the words because the background has too much going on. Also if they arent updated, it gets annoying...

The ones that say horses for sale and there never are any for sale..

I also dislike the busy or dark background that camouflages the text. Flying cursors, music, outdated, pretty much everything that has been listed.

OK - now who besides me is going to update their websites right now???
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing that really bothers me is seeing a background showing a horse not living in the best possible conditions. For example, a stall full of poop, trash around a paddock or things a horse can get hurt on. It totally turns me off. People need to be aware that they are not just taking picture of a horse.

I get annoyed with websites that are not updated or that have really old pictures. I also like to see prices.

Sue

Targetsmom thanks for mentioning the current height. That is of course an important issue since AMHA and AMHR are a "height" breed.

The other thing for me that is a problem on both websites as well as the LB sale pages is that people do not list if their horse is AMHA or AMHR or both.

I hate finding my dream horse only to know it is not able to be registered the way I need for my breeding purposes.

I have also found Shetlands that I have fallen in love with on a site that had both miniatures and Shetlands listed on the same sale pages and found out only after inquiring that they were not miniatures.

I am sure this has happened both ways. I LOVE some of the Shetlands, I just do not personally breed them. I am sure this has happened the same way for someone wanting a Shetland and finding out it was a miniature.

Things I really dislike on a website!

1. A horse for sale with a description but NO photo! You've seen them, Photo coming soon!! but they never appear.

2. Sold horses on a sales page if you want to show them off move them to a sold page. I know not everone has that much space maybe offer to e-mail photos if someone is interested in a horse that has been sold.

3. PRICES said before but if I don't see a price I'm not inclined to bug an owner, also for sale by private treaty, it says we don't want you to pass out when you see the price so we won't list it!
default_new_shocked.gif
maybe not what it means all the time but it is your asking price just list it. Someone will then decide to buy or not.

4. I'm with everybody else on the music too!
default_no.gif

5. Having a horse for sale but the photo of the horse for sale has multiple horses in it, do we get to guess which is for sale?
default_wacko.png

I hope I have not offended anyone these are just a few of my pet peeves concerning websites
default_smile.png

Sharon

Well i do not lose any sleep at night over any of these things...but...

I hate to see a website that is not updated atleast within the past 6 or so months. If i see things are out dated, then if i look at their sales page i just figure that the horses listed on the sales page most likely have already sold since this website is a year or two without any updates. I do not bother inquire ...

Agian, im not much for the music background either...but putting the speakers on mute takes any a moment.

A lot of photos really bugs me, just pick a few that are GOOD...you do not need 50 photos of a horse on the same page, make a link to that horses own photo gallery but 50 photos of each horse on the same page is just not needed.

I don't mind to much if sale prices are not listed...if i'm really interested in the horse it takes not even a minute to send out an email and ask.

Not to many things bug me
default_smile.png

First, a list of things that IMO, SCREAM, unprofessional . . . .

These are things that if I see/hear them, I will almost immediately assume that the site isn't worth looking at and move on . . .

Spelling and grammar errors.

If the site has not been updated within the last 3-6 months.

Too many colors or clashing colors.

Moving icons like rainbows or horses running across or stars or glitter.

No contact information

Hard to navigate

Links that take you to the wrong pages.

Fonts and colors that are difficult to read.

Here's a list of things that won't necessarily make me close out completely, but are really annoying.

Sounds/music

"Private Treaty" "Let's Talk"

No Prices

Pictures that do the horse no justice.

Thumbnails that are super tiny.

A "links" page with 300 links to every farm in the US.

Descriptions that are not true. (Don't describe your horse as top show quality if your posting a picture that shows the horse clearly is not)

Using bloodlines as a selling point when your listing a bloodline that is more than 2 generations back. I really don't care that your horses great grandfather was Rowdy, by then, it really doesn't matter.

These are MUSTS!!

Pictures to go with sales ads

Contact info

Pictures and descriptions of other horses on your farm. Like reference stallions or mares/your breeding stock.

At the very least, the sire and dam should be listed of any horse your trying to sell.

Things that I like to see . . . .

Links to full pedigrees on horses

Prices, even if it is a let's talk, or negotiable, or show discount or whatever, I want to see a starting price.

Pictures of reference stallions and mares.

Show records listed

Descriptions that are not true. (Don't describe your horse as top show quality if your posting a picture that shows the horse clearly is not)
Sadly, I don't think most people really know the difference. :\ Fantasy land is a nice place to live and I hear they have tasty Kool Aide.

Puffery is okay with me. It can also be really entertaining when the "top show prospect" is some snaggletooth gumby legged unpapered offspring of an elk and a donkey.

I once saw a Miniature mare SO ugly I had to be assured it really WAS a horse and not a mule. I SWEAR I thought it was a mule at first glance. I was like "Are you SURE it's really a horse? Not a mule? Has it been DNA'd?" And it had been BRED! Several times! It had the most god awful ghastly hideous head I have EVER seen.

I agree with pretty much everything that has been said.

I like to see a clean, neat, professional looking site with minimal spelling/ gramatical errors. A mispelled word every now and then does not bother me too much. I know when I get to typing I often leave out/ invert letters, and even w/ proof reading, sometimes you just miss things. I don't like it when it is glaringly obvious or every other word.

I cannot stand music, not usually a problem as most times I have the sound of on my computer, but every now and then one sneaks up when the sound is on and BAM! Scares me to death, then just irritates me!

I, too, like to see prices. I do not want to waste your time or mine if your horse is out of my price range. I do not mind "private treaty" that tells me the horse is more than likely way out of my price range! I like to see stud fees if the horse is standing to outside mares. I also appreciate sites that state somewhere if their stallions are or are not avaliable for outside breedings, again, keeps me from wasting your time.

Another thing that drives me crazy is when everytime you click a link to be taken to a new page, another window opens. You end up with 50 open windows!

I hate when people claim to breed for conformation and show poorly conformed horses as their breeding stock. I realize that a bad picture can make a good horse look terrible, but there are somethings that are obvious no matter how good/ bad the picture is. I do think that people should strive to put up the best picture they can of each horse, don't just put up whatever you have lying around.

This is a fun topic, definitely makes one look more closely at their own site!

I agree with all posted.

I happen to LOVE pintos, so it irritates me when I see one for sale, and they only show a picture from one side. I can understand a one-sided picture of a solid colored horse, but really want to see both sides of a pinto.

Oh, I forgot my number one pet peeve! "Serious Inquires Only!"

I honestly don't understand the reasoning behind that statement. If anyone wants to email and ask about my horses for sale, I am always willing to answer their questions. They may not be serious this time, but they might be next time! If we get a phone call asking about something we don't have, we'll try to suggest someone who might have what they're looking for ... next time they're looking for a 33" driving horse, they'll call us! And if someone is in the area and just wants to see what we have, they're more that welcome to come out, and I'll introduce them to every horse on the place!

I've actually heard of breeders who wouldn't answer questions from a nearby new owner about local farriers and veterinarians, but told them "I give excellent follow up to my buyers". Talk about burning bridges!

As always when this comes up, I'm going to have to improve my website!

I hate outdated websites!!!! One person that I have bought a horse from still has their 2005 foals page up and I think have updated their sales page once in the last 3 years. Why pay to have a site? Yes people can find you that way, but very few will pick up the phone and find out what you have now.

I don't mind music, I can always turn the volume down. I also like when prices are listed.

Another big thing for me is a very slow to load website! I have dial up and can't stand waiting 5 minutes or longer for each page. I can honestly say that I have put a stop to buying a horse because I could not find out details from their website.

Lots of good points here!

My pet peeves are about the same as everyone elses:

Outdated information

Over half the horses on the sale page have "sold" marked on them. I'll mark one as sold for a month or so in case someone else had been looking but then it goes bye-bye.

I like prices listed. I don't like private treaty. I've actually been surprised sometimes when I have asked because it was less than I thought it would be.....so why scare off customers! Put the price in.

Music and floaty things on my curser!

Bad pictures. I don't mind furry as much as angle of shot. I want to see a squared up side view and not something off kilter or shot from above so it looks like the horse has short legs. I don't need a lot of pics on the sale page, if I like what I see I'll ask for more shots and recent ones.

I try to keep my website up to date.................and it's still not finished, but I'm getting there.

Cannot stand going onot a site that has everything flashing, more than three colours have been used in the main design and music or noises.

I too have browsed sites where people are still showing 2007 foals for sale. I find some of them have broken links and pages don't work and I hate it when people display a link to a website that hasn't exisited in years!

I suppose what I'm saying is that I hate 'Tacky'.

Because I'm new to the mini world I love to see the facilities as well as the horses. Just love Marty's FARM TOUR. It's very interesting to see how barns, paddocks, etc are done.

Hi,

I love to go look at everyone's miniature website but mostly are not update.

I know that everyone prefer to see a website is update and more than 2 photo of the horse/foal.

Music.... It get annoying... (Because mostly people doesn't have same favorite song).

Video... Would love to see movement...

I always love to take pictures of my husband or our children kept telling me that I have over 2,000 photos on my computer...
default_laugh.png

I am plan to take more photos of our mini's today and our rat terriers.

Also I told my husband that I really would love to get my favorite camera someday!.. hehe!!..

I always keep my website update and more than 2 photos of our miniatures.

I prefer to see a horse that grow up and see how it mature.

I agree with all that has been said. I have spent the cold winter months cruising every website I could find and one thing that stands out is not having your sale horses one the sale page. Unless you say "check out mare page" or what ever page you have sale horses on, I just happened to check out the mare page where several horses are for sale. I would have missed them if I hadn't been looking. Please take your sold horses off the sale page. I won't look through several pages of sold horses for the one on page 5 that is still for sale.

I hate the music.

I guess one of my biggest pet peeves is the personal information, i have my name , phone numbers, and adress and email at the top of EVERY page, that way if someone is on a page looking at a horse, and they want to email me about it, they can just click on the email on that page, or better yet pic up the phone and give me a hollar. I LOVE to talk about my horses!!!!

If there is not a phone number on the site, i will usually not inquire about a horse, If that person is hard to get a hold of, they are NOT someone i want to buy from. Hard enough trying to set up shipping and paperwork, and pick up without, the added hardship of getting in touch with that person! If i am at work, and dont have your phone number with me, and need to get in touch for some reason, i want to be able to pull your site up and get it off of that.

I love to see photos, my computer is high speed , so no trouble loading them. I like the info on the horse right there for me to see. height, reg. and any other info about the horse that is for sale.

Hate music and curser bling. but will not leave a site because of it.

Adds dont bother me, i dont look at them.

Latest posts

Back