Miniature Horse Keeping Questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

Those are great ideas. Okay, just put a deposit in for the two minis. So exciting! She is going to deliver them to us on April 25. I will give you all pictures on then. Do any of you paint on your horses? Could you show some pics?

Thank you so much MiniNHF! I would have never found the two minis if it weren't for the link you sent!

Thanks,

Tess

If anyone on this forum is looking for a nice driving gelding there is one named Electrify on minihorsesales.com. Electrify is from the same seller as Feona and Dolphin.

Paint on your horses? No--I would say not. Why would you want to? Only time I can think that people do is for showing in a costume class.

Our granddaughters loved washing and 'buffing up' the minis when we went someplace but we never used paint.

A little glitter once for a parade along with ribbons in the mane.

When they did costume they enjoyed dressing up the mini and themselves but we never used paint.

Do you do anything for your horses in summer? It gets up to 98F sometimes. Should I put a fan in the shed?

I put a fan under our little lean to for mine. It helps keep the flies away some. Especially when it is really hot.

It sometimes gets hotter than 98* here w/ up to 100% humidity. Ours live out - with shelter in the trees or in temporary shade shelters. So while caught and eating, we've often either hauled a hose out with us and sprayed them off (have to be trained/accustomed to the sprayer) or hauled out buckets of water to sponge them off.

We also feed wet/soupy and sometimes add loose mineral salt to keep them drinking. I have taken trays of icecubes out to add to thier feed in the summer and bottles & buckets of boiled water that is then added to their feed - they LOVE their hot "mash" during the winter and will call for it daily!

I know the conversation has kind of gotten away from the original questions, but here are the answers to some of your first questions.

I write a blog about miniature horses and talk about training, grooming, massaging, braiding, and natural remedies. You should give it a look, maybe you'll find something that will help you? I just started blogging a few months ago so I don't have many posts. I’m waiting for it to warm up, so I can get outside to take some pictures for it. Here’s the link for it https://ericksonminiatures.wordpress.com.

I've found that most minis really enjoy doing tricks and learn them pretty fast. I've trained mine to bow, kneel, lay down, sit, and stand on a pedestal. The time it takes to teach a horse a trick varies from horse to horse.

My all time favorite shampoo is Cowboy Magic! I've tried lots of different shampoos and conditioners, but none of them have preformed like Cowboy Magic. I have the Rosewater Shampoo, Conditioner, Detangler & Shine, Super body shine, Green Spot Remover, and Yellow Spot Remover. I highly recommend these products, they are wonderful! The detangler is amazing and will get out any knot, no matter what and keep knots away for weeks!

I think that braiding is one of my favorite things to do with my horses! There are dozens of braids you can do with your horses, on their mane, tail, and forelock. I find it very relaxing and meditative to braid my horse's hair. If you use braiding bands or yarn on your braids they should stay in a couple of days, of course their are some braids you wouldn't want to leave in over night.

I only use a bridle when I’m training them to drive or they have their saddle on, other wise it isn't really necessary to use it for anything else.

For Jumping I just use some cones or barrels for standards with pvc pipes or wooden poles. You don't need any “official” jumps, you can pretty much jump them over anything that is safe and collapsable.

There are lots of things you can do with minis! Just to name a few minis can jump, lunge, pull a cart, wear a saddle, long line, do tricks, do dressage on long lines, do agility and go to nursing homes and hospitals.

You can also do many natural therapies with horses such as massage, acupressure, stretching, aromatherapy, herbal therapy, and chromotherapy. I will also be writing more on my blog about each of these therapies and how to preform them on your horse.

I also love to paint on my horses, and they love it too, because I’m sure that it probably feels like a massage! I don't use any special equine paint I just use plain old cheap sidewalk chalk. I soak them in water for a few minutes before I use them. The paint comes out in the rain or when you give them a bath.

IMG_8510.jpgIMG_8516.jpgIMG_8515.jpgimg_2516-e1427150736485.jpgimg_3631-e1427663513577.jpgPenny Painted.jpg

The best way to teach a horse to lie down is to have him kneel or bow first. Then you can get him to go all the way down from there.

Hold a treat, such as a carrot, down between his front legs so he will have to reach down to get it. Do this two or three times every day. After a while start moving the carrot further and further back under his stomach until he has to go down on one or both knees to get it. That's how you teach him to kneel or bow. After he's learned that, you can use a treat to have him bend his head around to one side while he's kneeling or bowing. Then you can place a hand on his hip and gently push into a rocking motion. This should cause him to lose his balance and fall all the way down.

I just had to throw my two cents in here. Lol

As for your shed, I personally would remove the floor. The plywood will not hold up to the urine and will eventually rot. The horse could put a foot or two thru it and you could have a seriously injured horse... or two.

Have great fun with your new equine friends
default_smile.png

Hi,

The two mini's are coming on April 25th. Only 10 days! I will post pictures of them and of the pen they are staying in after they get here. They are both 30" tall. I am going to rename them. Their names now are Feona and Dolphin. I want to name them Lily and Pippin.

Thank you all for the wonderful advice and answers.

Thanks,

Tess

P.S. Please let me know if you like the new names, if you don't like the names please post what you would name them.

Hi Tess,

Glad to see your keeping a countdown, kinda like we do on the marestare forum. Of course YOUR due date is guaranteed! LOL

Are you close enough to go handle your new babies--with the breeder to help and mentor? I hope so, that will make it easier on all of you. Plus, you'd be more familiar with what's normal for them, then it would be easier to recognize if they're "off" when you get them home.

We'll wait excitedly with you for Pippen and Lily to arrive! Of course, piccies are a MUST.

Hey Tess,

Not long now till they arrive, I am sure you must be getting excited. Love the names and cant wait to see some Pictures. A big welcome to the world of Minis, and wishing you many years of happiness with them.

Ryan
default_smile.png

I would bet not!

It depends on the horse, weather, and volume of hair. My stud would take MONTHS if left to his own devices - but he drives me so nuts with his itching I clip him as soon as nights are reliably in the 30s and blanket him. He is awful though - rolls and scrapes his body against anything he can find incessantly as soon as he beings to shed until I clip him.

Latest posts

Back