Mini horse trailer question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skylight_minis

Reaction score
I currently have a V6 Ford Ranger pick up which i use to haul around a 1900lb full size 2 horse trailer which is 9ft long. I now have the option to buy a mini trailer it will be a bit shorter in height and weighs only 1500lbs but yet its at least 3 ft longer than my current trailer being 12ft long. I've heard its easier to back a larger trailer how true is that?? I go to shows and i travel delivering and picking up minis. I often have found myself turning around more than i'd like. For instance missing a drive way. How much different is it going to be with turning around on a high way or in a tighter space?? Is it really going to make that much difference only being 3 ft longer?

I realize i have a small truck which is why the less wind resistance and lighter weight appeals to me plus my old trailer needs an upgrade and I've finally decided i'm not turning back to the big horses so no need to keep everything convertable. If I'm going all mini might as well get a lighter trailer.

Another question towards the bottom.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if this is going to help or not, but in my opinion, the extra 3 feet won't add any difficulty in backing. You will have to get used to it just like any new trailer. From personal experience, I prefer backing a heavier trailer, but I'm used to the frustration I have with a 5 x 8 flatbed that weighs practically nothing. When it's empty it's a total pain to back. But with the weights you're talking about backing, I'd think they'd be very similar to one another.

Mostly I'm amazed you can haul with a v6! That's what I currently have and it seems difficult on my explorer. I'm hoping to upgrade soon to another v8. I pull a 2011 Calico 14" stock with mini dividers. It weighed 1925lbs prior to the dividers being added. Now it's probably around 2025.

Is say go for the mini trailer.
default_smile.png

You will feel the difference in the weight of the trailer with the truck you are pulling it with. I say go with the Mini trailer!
default_yes.gif

The lower height will make a big difference with wind drag. I say go for the mini trailer!

3' longer will make it a little slower and a little easier to back up. (ie it'll turn a little slower and less sharply)

I've always been told that the longer the trailer the easier it is to back. By that reckoning I need a trailer about 50ft long.
default_wink.png

It is 5ft tall on the inside is it going to be tall enough for my minis?? I have some that are pushing 38". I measured one of my 36" minis to top of ears and gave some leeway and came up with 4.4ft that only leaves 6 inches for the rearing or being silly. Are they less likely to rear if the roof is lower?? I've had some minis rear in my current trailer which is 7 ft tall when they were trailering along.

Would it be more difficult with a lower roof to load the minis that dont want to get in? I know i'm going to have some ducking cuz i'm 5'9 tall.

Latest posts

Back