Mini horse giving neurological symptoms? Help!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I will try and upload a video later, but recently in this past week my mini horse has been exhibiting rather abnormal things. Some of those things are walking with exaggeration of front limbs(For example, when walking he will pick his legs up high and very awkward in his back end aswell) and walks veryyyy slowly and abnormal. When he stand he will "point" with his front limbs, He will lean on you with his head or body, I have been giving banamine which has helped for short periods of time but not for long. Im worried about EPM or WNV, or some other disease that could mean certain death. He doesnt seem to have muscle loss yet or the usual droop of the side of the face or tongue as most horses do with neurological diseases. His legs are not warm or swollen or have any signs of founder or anything else with the hoof that I can see myself either. I'm truly stumped on what could be going on? Please help!

You need to have a vet out for neurological symptoms. If you post a video we can all give our 2 cents but most of these issues are going to need real testing from a real vet. Epm is treatable, especially if you start early, and there are a few other things that may look neurological but not be. Banamine isn't going to do much for most of the serious things, I would be suspicious for laminitis. You aren't going to see that until it's been going on for months. A lot can look neurological but not actually be that.

This is definitely a call for a vet, and no one says that lightly! As you have said, your horse is in great pain and needs help. I hope your area has a vet you can access, so many places do not. If you are in that situation, I would recommend phoning any equine vet anywhere to try and get even long distance help.

Many hears ago we had a horse exhibit suddenly symptoms similar to what you are experiencing. We called the vet, who did x-rays and confirmed it was laminitis. The vet compared the level of pain as comparable to taking your bare foot and slamming on top of an upended nail.

He prescribed a few things for pain and recommended no pasture for a long time then only on a limited basis. Our horse went on a hay diet with no grain at all. He also worked with our farrier to develop the best way forward in hoof trimming.

As you have already said, there could also be something else working against your equine buddy.

In the meanwhile, restricting his movements by bedding a quiet cool stall/area down deeply in straw, or shavings will give a little relief and do no harm. He will need a big bucket of water, and a chunk of salt in his feed tub It is helpful too as it encourages drinking. You have probably done these things already, so forgive me if I’m out of line!

This is definitely a call for a vet, and no one says that lightly! As you have said, your horse is in great pain and needs help. I hope your area has a vet you can access, so many places do not. If you are in that situation, I would recommend phoning any equine vet anywhere to try and get even long distance help.

Many hears ago we had a horse exhibit suddenly symptoms similar to what you are experiencing. We called the vet, who did x-rays and confirmed it was laminitis. The vet compared the level of pain as comparable to taking your bare foot and slamming on top of an upended nail.

He prescribed a few things for pain and recommended no pasture for a long time then only on a limited basis. Our horse went on a hay diet with no grain at all. He also worked with our farrier to develop the best way forward in hoof trimming.

As you have already said, there could also be something else working against your equine buddy.

In the meanwhile, restricting his movements by bedding a quiet cool stall/area down deeply in straw, or shavings will give a little relief and do no harm. He will need a big bucket of water, and a chunk of salt in his feed tub It is helpful too as it encourages drinking. You have probably done these things already, so forgive me if I’m out of line!
that is really good advice, i hadnt thought about salt for drinking encouragement, i called the vet for an appointment so ill update when they come out thank you!

Latest posts

Back