Merry Chase with the minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happy Valley

Reaction score
Saturday was SO GORGEOUS! Sun was justa beaming and the temp was balmy and spring in the air and all, I thought that it would be a good day to let a horse or two out into the yard to munch on some fresh green stuff. Worked out real good to start with. We got Bockie and Cruiser out and they were tickled to be out. They seemed so happy to be out eating the goodies that I hated to leave everyone else inside the fence so I thought it would be fine to let everyone out in the yard, after all, Cruiser and Bockie were perfectly content to munch on the clover around the porch, right?

So, I haltered Jeff and Kissime and brought them out too. OH THE JOY! Happy as teensy little clams they were, but they stayed in the yard. Ran around some with their little flags waving, then settled in to munch. I took the halter off Bockie and Kissime because you can catch them ANYWHERE. Got Starbaby out, and of course Megan followed right along as she is want to do. Starbaby can't get out of her sight. That left Jazzy alone in the pasture, but try as I might, she would not let me halter her. This turned out to be a good thing.

Fast forward about an hour...the dog that we sort of share with my in-laws came over for a visit and she thought that it would be fun to run and bark at the horses, since they were not where they belonged and she is a helpful creature and all that. Well she did, with guns a blazin, and lo and behold, the little horses figured that they were at least bigger than HER so they took off chasing her. She turned tail and ran, looking over her shoulder as if to say "what??!!" and ran all the way home, all the way down the LONG LONG LONG driveway to my in-law's house.

Cruiser was bane to leave Jazzy behind, so I snagged him pretty quick and poked him pack through the gate. Oh what a reunion. Look for a foal next year.

Well I grabbed all the halters I could find and took off after the rest of my delinquent equine children. We live on a quiet road, and quite a ways off of that, but I feared the worst and took off after the horses with Wyatt and Steve (budding horsemen at best) in tow. We trekked through weeds and hills thinking that they'd gone to the barn, but no...they were in my in-laws backyard, quietly grazing on the beginnings of a garden, looking like they'd found nirvana.

I had my trusty halter in hand and walked up to Bockie, who was closest and who you can catch ANYWHERE and she said "NOPE" and took off with the others following suit. They'd all let me get within inches of being able to grab them and toss their little heads and tell me I'd lost my mind and trot off about three steps, then look at me and say "Now whatchagonnado Mom?" I was just about ready to shoot the lot of them.

No telling what inspired them...I think it was Jazzy and Cruiser hollering up on the hill, but they finally decided it was time to go home, I guess. I managed to get ahold of Starbaby's halter, then Jeff's, and Wyatt got hold of Bockie and haltered her, and we headed home. The funny thing is that Starbaby and Jeff were trying to RUN back to the house and if you know Jeff you know how well he leads when you want him to. This time it was my turn to scotch MY feet.

They finally all ended up back in their rightful spot, and I sat on the porch and drank a beer and said "nanananana" that afternoon.

I wish I had pics of them running away with their little heads and tails held high. I could probably market them as show horses and get big bucks with the way they looked that day. Guess it is the Lord's will that I keep them.

Stacye

--------------------

Happy Valley Miniatures

www.happyvalleyminis.com

Pictures would have been nice, but your description fueled my imagination. I could almost see them flagging their tails as they ran another 3 feet from you. Glad everybody is back home where they belong.

Latest posts

Back