Maybe a silly question BUT, can a mare hate a stallion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minimule

Reaction score
I got this mare last year. Covered her with my jack and she didn't come back into heat. No foal though so she didn't settle. OK no big deal, no foals this year.

This year, I've bred her 2x now and she still hasn't settled. When I put her up, she tries to pee for about 30 minutes. She strains and strains though nothing comes out. She does show to him and allows him to cover her. She is late for coming back in from the previous breeding.

Can a mare hate a stallion so much that if she did settle she could absorb it?

I bred 4 mares so far this year, 2 to stallions and 2 to the jack. Both stallions settled but both jack mares are back in heat now. I'm going to be testing the jack just in case it is him. Just curious about the girls hating him...........

I have had stallions and mares that genuinely hated each other - to the point of resisting nature - but if your mare hated your jack I doubt she would stand for breeding. If she's straining to urinate, my first thought is that she might have a UTI. Have you watched her when she's away from the jack to see if she's urinating comfortably otherwise? An infection could also affect her ability to settle.

She pees normally any other time. It's like she is trying to push out the "stuff". When she is just out, she stands in front of the stallions and pees all day.
rolleyes.gif

UTI = Urinary Tract Infection

She pees normally any other time. It's like she is trying to push out the "stuff". When she is just out, she stands in front of the stallions and pees all day.
rolleyes.gif
Oh yes, I have a few overly flirtacious mares here too.
default_rolleyes.gif
In regards to the mare in question, it's pretty common for mares to urinate after breeding, but I've never heard of a mare trying for half an hour. Even if she did, I don't think she'd be able to expel the majority of the semen since a proper breeding would send it through her cervix and into her uterus - so I don't think that would prevent her from conceiving. I do wonder why she's straining so long though...Hopefully someone else will have more useful advice.

Our mares always "strain" to urinate after breeding. The act really irritates the bladder and urinary tract. As far as the mares not settling, make sure to have both the jack and mares checked for breeding soundness.

Regarding horses that hate each other, I have had a stallion and mare hate each other so badly they would rather kill each other than breed. In that case, you just don't. When its a mare attitude problem, I have twitched and even sedated a mare to get her bred. In that particular case, it was a mare who had a horrible experience as a maiden and any stallion was to be hated. I sedated her once, bred her to a well mannered stud, and she hasn't been an issue since!

I think you are asking two separate questions... first, can a mare hate a stallion enough not to breed to him? Definitely.

However, if she does allow him to cover her, she doesn't hate him
default_smile.png
Now, two points about the later part... first off, some jacks have acidic semen which can cause irritation in her to the point that she has such a reaction she can't get pregnant. To resolve that, try doing AI instead. With a minimal dose of semen she will react far less. Jacks are incredibly fertile when it comes to the amount of sperm cells they ejaculate.

Next, it is very possible for a mare and stallion to be perfectly fertile separately, but incompatible when bred together. Its rare, but it does happen!

Latest posts

Back