Mares' Social Bonds Might Enhance Reproductive Success

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanne

Reaction score
I found this in my online The Horse magazine this morning. I thought it was facinating and wanted to pass it on!

"Mares that form close social bonds with other mares have improved pregnancy, foal birth, and foal survival rates, said a group of researchers studying wild herds in the North Island of New Zealand. The mares' enhanced reproductive success appears to be linked primarily to mutual protection from harassment by stallions, they said.

Unlike most other mammal groups, the mares were able to form these tight bonds among unrelated females. Benefits of social integration were independent of the quality of the habitat, the type of social group, dominance status, and the age of the mare, the study authors reported.

"The horse is clearly a social animal, and we decided it was worth investigating what kinds of benefits the horses were getting from their social natures," said Elissa Cameron, PhD, director of the Mammal Research Institute at the Department of Zoology and Entomology at the University of Pretoria (South Africa). "Above all, it seems that by forming bonds, these feral mares are getting protection from male harassment, which is then translated into reproductive success."

Harassment was defined as any kind of negative interaction such as biting, kicking, and chasing, said Cameron, who has previously published research on stallion harassment. Male aggression towards females is known to reduce female reproductive rates, and the social bonds among the females can be considered an adaptive strategy. Additional benefits could include reduced stress levels and better body condition.

"As handlers, we need to be aware of the importance of social bonds in such a social animal," she said. "Horses with strong social bonds may perform--and breed--better than horses kept alone.

"Even so, the fact that they bond with non-relatives means that they probably also bond well with humans. Although humans can’t replace the presence of other horses entirely, this might explain why they have been so successfully domesticated."

The study, during which 55 adult mares within stable wild herds were followed for a four-year period, is part of a larger research effort to understand the mating system of horses and how mares invest in their foals from conception to independence."

I completely agree with and believe this to be true. I have a mare who has always gotten right back in foal, but has always been pasture bred. This year I sent her to an outside stud where she was kept in her own pen because she had a young foal on her side. She NEVER came in heat or showed the stud any attention at all.

Until I brought her home and put her back out in the pasture with her other mares and the stallion. Then she came right into heat and settled on the first go round.
default_smile.png

"As handlers, we need to be aware of the importance of social bonds in such a social animal," she said. "Horses with strong social bonds may perform--and breed--better than horses kept alone.
"Even so, the fact that they bond with non-relatives means that they probably also bond well with humans. Although humans can’t replace the presence of other horses entirely, this might explain why they have been so successfully domesticated."

YES!
default_yes.gif

I also believe a stallion's performance can be affected when kept alone........ Thanks for sharing this, Joanne.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mary Ann you bring up an excellent point.

We like to keep our stallions with mares year around. We find they are less frantic when breeding season begins.

We especially like this on the young stallions. Introducing during the non breeding season lets them play and work out things before breeding season begins.

Thanks fo reminding us that there is the stallions needs as well.

Back