One in a Million, Part 1

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horse Feathers

Reaction score
One in a Million, Part 1

by: Christine Hamilton, The American Quarter Horse Journal

July 21 2010, Article # 16691

"Excluded."

For the second time Denise Charpilloz had sent in hair from her 2004 foal out of her mare Sharp One for DNA testing and parentage verification. And for the second time, the Veterinary Genetics Laboratory at the University of California, Davis, had excluded not only the stallion Dunbars Gold as the foal's sire, but also Sharp One as the foal's dam.

16691.jpg
Dunbars Gold, a 1996 brindle stallion by Two D Nine and out of Outa Chiggers by Outa Utopia. Genetic testing has shown the horse to be an extremely rare chimera, an individual with two DNA types.

Every now and then, people make mistakes when they submit mane (or tail) hair samples for DNA testing on a foal. It usually happens when people accidentally mix hair if they're collecting samples from more than one horse. Although very rare, sometimes mares can actually switch foals or the wrong stallion's semen is unintentionally shipped and used to breed a mare.

All those scenarios result in a DNA test that "excludes" a mare or stallion as a foal's parent. Usually it doesn't take long to figure out what went wrong.

But "I saw it being born!" Denise says. "I didn't mix it up with any other foals; there were no other foals!" And Dunbars Gold's owner, Carole Dunbar, had only one stallion to ship semen from.

AQHA's registration department turned back to the lab's geneticists: could they please give the case another, much closer, look?

Puzzling Pattern

The case landed on the desk of Dr. Cecilia Penedo, the lab's associate director of service and genomic research and development.

Dr. Penedo immediately noticed that Dunbars Gold and Sharp One are brindles.

"It's a very rare coat pattern in horses," she says, though it is common in dogs and cattle. "People have not been very successful reproducing this pattern through breeding, and we've never really had much information on the genetics of it because it is so rare."

In fact, of the more than 4.7 million American Quarter Horses registered with AQHA (excluding appendix horses), the registration department has a list of only 15 horses who have exhibited some form of the brindle coat pattern.

Dr. Penedo began reviewing the lab's testing on the horses.

"When I looked up the stallion, Dunbars Gold, I found that we had tested him three times before we established his (DNA) type," Dr. Penedo says.

The first two tests the lab ran were on mane and tail hair samples.

"At that time, there was something odd about his type," she continues. "It looked like the hair samples came from two different animals, like the hair had been mixed together. We requested a second sample and had the same problem."

Convinced the hair samples were getting contaminated, for the third test, the lab requested a blood sample from the horse.

"When the blood sample came in, we got a perfectly good type that would be consistent with one animal," she said.

The blood test results also had some things in common with the hair results.

The lab used the DNA type obtained from blood for the parentage verification on Sharp One's 2004 foal (the first of the stallion's foals to be tested for parentage verification).

But in her review, something else caught Dr. Penedo's attention.

"The oddest thing about the stallion' blood sample results was that the DNA types for sex-linked markers were typical of a female and not a male," Dr. Penedo says. "There was no evidence of a Y chromosome."

Penedo decided to retest Dunbars Gold.

"We went back to the original hair samples and used a single hair for the DNA test," she says. "And we performed several of these single-hair tests.

"Some of the tests yielded a perfectly good type for a male individual and some a good type for a female individual."

Some of the results also showed two DNA types within a single hair root.

"At that point, I thought, 'This horse is chimeric,' " Dr. Penedo says.

Stay tuned for the second half of this story!

Last edited by a moderator:
This came to me today via e-mail from The Horse mag. Really interesting - cant wait for part 2
default_aktion033.gif

Anna

I know I have heard this story before but I don't know if I knew that the stallion is a male/female chimera. Sue, a chimera is actually made from two embryos fusing together to form one individual, sort of the opposite of what happens when identical twins split apart except now you have one individual with two DNAs. Obviously, the two original embryos were two different colors, hence the brindle pattern. The foal produced by these two horses would only have one set of DNA so would not be brindle.

But didn't they say the mare was brindle too? Or is she too a chimara??

Dr. Penedo immediately noticed that Dunbars Gold and Sharp One are brindles.

I don't think this article got to that part yet, but she is a chimera too which is why the DNA didn't match up with her at first either.

That is what I thought I read,
default_laugh.png
but figured I misinterpretted it, because all of the "hype" seems to be about the stallion. Of course, it almost always is...one sometimes has to wonder what "they" figure the mare puts into a foal.
default_rolleyes.gif

MAYBE.....part 2 will be about the mare!
default_laugh.png

Gosh, can you imagine? We think "our" registries have some "moments" with some of our foals but, two chimerics producing a foal????? The DNA is
default_new_shocked.gif
default_biggrin.png
It's the fact that each of the situations had no other options for breedings to others that made the genetic people really, really dig deep.

Sooooo........is the brindle something that they think has a tie to chimera?

And yes, was the foal brindle?????

default_wub.png
hope the rest comes up soon. Very interesting.

By the way, the stallion is gorgeous -- not JUST by all standards for a stallion but, his color is wonderfully deep and evenly distributed....all over.

Like "our own" Marbles!

It will be interesting to read Part 2. I don't care one way or another about color but this was very interesting! Thanks for posting!

Dr Pinedo is the same geneticist that Sue was working with to test Marbles. She at one point really thought she would test out to be chimera and requested many different hair samples and I think swabs? If I remember correctly, all chimeras are brindles but not all brindles are chimera. A chimera will not reproduce the coloring, a brindle that is not chimera might. It is all so interesting. I will have to look for the article. By the way, Marbles was at the show with us this weekend and created quite a stir!

Barb

Dr Pinedo is the same geneticist that Sue was working with to test Marbles. She at one point really thought she would test out to be chimera and requested many different hair samples and I think swabs? If I remember correctly, all chimeras are brindles but not all brindles are chimera. A chimera will not reproduce the coloring, a brindle that is not chimera might. It is all so interesting. I will have to look for the article. By the way, Marbles was at the show with us this weekend and created quite a stir!

Barb
Yes, Marbles was extensively tested by Dr. Penedo. Hairs of both colors where taken from her mane and tail, as well as her body coat. A swab from her mouth and her nose, and blood samples were sent to Dr. Penedo. All came back as negative for Chimera, and Marbles was then considered a true brindle.

The article One In A Million was written a few years ago and is on line if you look for it. I found it when I was researching brindle horses after Marbles was born. Dunbar Gold is a beautiful horse. I would guess the woman with the mare (I am assuming she was a brindle), wanted to try for a brindle and bred to Dunbar Gold. Unfortunately, chimeras can not produce the brindle coloring, so the foal had no chance to be a brindle. Especially since it seems both parents where chimeras. What a night mare for the registry.

Marbles was at the show this weekend. The judges did not know what to make of her. This was an A/R show and the judges where more R judges than A judges, but two argued with me that Marbles was not a solid color, but belonged in the multi color class. Guess I will have to send a copy of the rules to these judges, since it specifically states that multi color is either a pinto or an Appaloosa. Neither of which are Marbles. She did well, though in all of her classes but color.... go figure.

I did tell the judges that I had asked AMHA as to what color class she should be in and they all said solid, all the way up to the president. Still the judges argued.
default_new_shocked.gif

Latest posts

Back