Mare leaking water, how ling do i wait?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

griggsmel

Reaction score
My preg mare is leaking water and vet said wait to check anything. How long?

1. Is your pregnant mare vet checked pregnant? Of if not, is she obviously showing?

2. If so, when is her approx. due date?

3. Is the "water" have any substance or stickyness to it?

4. Is she showing any other signs?

Sorry for all the questions but they are necessary.

If it WAS her water breaking, you do NOT wait!!!! Water breaking but no foal coming is a Huge sign of trouble!

If it WAS her water breaking, you do NOT wait!!!! Water breaking but no foal coming is a Huge sign of trouble!
Ok we have a colt! I thought the same thing, but vet said you don't check or feel for position till you see white sac. I knew I didn't agree with that so was thinking I should check position. All turned out ok so far, waiting for colt to nurse. Will update soon. Thanks for help, vet made me so mad!

1. Is your pregnant mare vet checked pregnant? Of if not, is she obviously showing?

2. If so, when is her approx. due date?

3. Is the "water" have any substance or stickyness to it?

4. Is she showing any other signs?

Sorry for all the questions but they are necessary.
Thanks for taking the time to try and figure out what was wrong. I was in a hurry and really couldn't type details. My mare was foaling but she was only leaking her water and wasn't actively showing labor. It all turned out well but I just don't know how I feel about what the on call vet was telling me. I felt like the only place I could get good advice was this forum. Thanks again!

GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!!!! I studied the trouble signs and I do NOT ever wait! If you wait, the foal can progress too far for anyone to be able to push them back and fix the problem. Often if you feel and fix what the trouble is early, it's usually a small thing that allows for a quick, easy birth.
default_smile.png

I hope he nurses soon! Make sure he poops! I always give a child sized Fleet enema
default_smile.png

Congrats!

GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!!!! I studied the trouble signs and I do NOT ever wait! If you wait, the foal can progress too far for anyone to be able to push them back and fix the problem. Often if you feel and fix what the trouble is early, it's usually a small thing that allows for a quick, easy birth.
default_smile.png

I hope he nurses soon! Make sure he poops! I always give a child sized Fleet enema
default_smile.png

Congrats!
So let me ask then, how tight is it to get your hand in there when the baby hasn't entered the birth canal? Do you have to force your hand with a lot of effort? I have never gotten to a mare before the sac shows so just wondering what it will feel like and what to expect. I have two more mares getting ready to foal and with a useless vet, want to be prepared. One mare is 30" and the other is 31".

Has your foal nursed? Within 3 hours from birth is best, but you only have a 6 hour window before he could go downhill. We milk the mare and syringe colostrum when it's getting close to 3 hours.

As for going up inside the mare.....we don't like to unless there's a problem, for example, the water has come and there's no white bubble. Then, yes, you need to "grease up" your hand (preferably with a surgical glove on) and you have to maneuver your hand up inside.

We discuss some of this on our Health Pages on our website: http/www.miniatureventures.com

We're not vets but we've foaled out over a couple of hundred little ones since 1992 and can only give you advice based on our experiences.

Has your foal nursed? Within 3 hours from birth is best, but you only have a 6 hour window before he could go downhill. We milk the mare and syringe colostrum when it's getting close to 3 hours.

As for going up inside the mare.....we don't like to unless there's a problem, for example, the water has come and there's no white bubble. Then, yes, you need to "grease up" your hand (preferably with a surgical glove on) and you have to maneuver your hand up inside.

We discuss some of this on our Health Pages on our website: http/www.miniatureventures.com

We're not vets but we've foaled out over a couple of hundred little ones since 1992 and can only give you advice based on our experiences.
I'll definately check out your website, thanks! Experience is the best teacher......

I asked because you said she was so tight.

In the LB info pages (off the LB main page-link at top of forum page) there's a foaling article I wrote some years ago
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back