Life with Menieres ~

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shari

Reaction score
Before you Judge me ~~~~ For those that have menieres.

Origin: http://oto.wustl.edu/men/mn1.htm

Author Unknown

Life with Meniere's Disease : Before you judge me on one of my good days, you need to understand what one of my bad days is like.

Tinnitus - imagine having a headache caused by a fire alarm ringing or a bee buzzing in your ear continually for a long period of time. You can't hear anything but that fire alarm or bee - It drowns everything else out.

Vertigo - Now imagine yourself as really drunk or with the flu at the same time as the fire alarm is going off. Now imagine that with these two things, you'd be dumb enough to get on one of the super roller coasters that does loop-de-loops or the amusement park rides that spin in two different directions at the same time. I'm not that dumb, but unfortunately I have no choice in feeling these sensations.

During one of these vertigo attacks that can last from several minutes to several hours if not days. I can't keep food or water down, I can't walk, and in order to get out of bed to go to the bathroom, I have to crawl like a baby on my hands and knees. The movement makes me so ill, if I'm able to crawl back to bed, I'm covered in sweat from exhaustion. Otherwise, I keep a pillow and a blanket at the bottom of a linen closet in the bathroom so that I can pass out lying across the bathroom floor. I end up sleeping for days after one of these attacks, only getting out of bed to go to the bathroom or to get something to drink, if I think I can keep it down. I have to call my family to see what day it is when I wake up. That is, if I can hear.

You see, this disease while playing havoc with your balance and equilibrium, also reeks havoc with your hearing. It wouldn't be so bad if the hearing loss was constant and predictable. But no, one day I can hear conversation fairly OK, and the next I can be virtually deaf, then the next day I can hear again. The hearing loss can fluctuate, but is usually progressive, and many with the disease end up severely hard-of-hearing or deaf.

Even on a daily basis, your mind is so confused by the signals its getting from your ears that your balance sucks. You run into things constantly because you can't balance well enough to avoid walking into things, or your mind is telling you the object is a couple of inches from where it really is. I don't know whether to laugh or cry when someone teases me about being such a klutz. I could make the Keystone Cops look graceful.

I also have days that my coordination just doesn't seem to be together. I'm carrying something, and all of the sudden I drop it because my brain seems confused as to whether my hand is really attached to my body. I sometimes miss a step and fall because of the feeling that my legs are not quite part of me and I have to focus on them to realize they are there. Apparently this happens because the part of your brain that recognizes parts of your body as belonging to you is the parietal brain lobe and it sits right above your ear, so if the nerves around your ear are inflamed, it can press on this part of the brain, or send the wrong signals to it (I'm not quite sure which), and you can lose coordination.

Ironically, the few high frequencies I don't seem to have a hearing loss in can sound extremely loud, unbearably so. When a baby cries, an alarm goes off, or a microphone gives off feedback, I'd be willing to climb up a wall to get away if I thought I could make it. This symptom is called recruitment.

The disease also plays tricks on your vision. For some strange reason, the nerve that goes from your inner ear to your brain also controls some of your eye movement. Your eyes can twitch or bounce constantly, making focusing on objects, much less print, extremely difficult at times. Your eyes tend not to be able to "track" movement at the same speed, giving you double vision, and a bad headache.

You can get confused easily and your memory and concentration aren't reliable. It's what some people with the disease refer to as "brain fog". Many of them originally were afraid that they may have a brain tumor or Alzheimer's because it can sometimes gets so bad. Finally they find either a doctor whose very knowledgeable regarding the symptoms, or they happen to ask someone else with the disease, and find that this too is a symptom of this blasted disease.

Now try to imagine living with this disease never knowing when one of these periods of tinnitus, vertigo, hearing loss, double vision, lack of coordination, recruitment, disequilibrium, or "brain fog" is going to hit, or how bad it will be. At least with being drunk or riding an amusement park ride, you know what's causing it, and you can make the choice not to do it again. With this disease, there's very little warning if any for these attacks, you don't know what's causing it, and there's no cure - only devices, surgeries, and some medications that can somewhat help alleviate the symptoms. And some of the surgeries are so radical, you think they came from a horror movie about a mad doctor. My ENT surgeon won't even perform any more surgery on my left side, since I have the disease in both ears. He's concerned about what would happen if my right side became worse than what my left side is now.

Understandably, anxiety and depression seem to go hand-in-hand with Meniere's for many sufferers. We often ask how much worse can this disease get? For some strange reason, doctors aren't very willing to give out worst case scenarios.

Now decide if you think I'd be able to do the same things you do on as punctual and regular of a schedule. For me, there's no way. I'm being up front about my limitations. I try the best I can at living up to my full potential. Could if you were in my shoes? They think now that Van Gogh suffered from this disease, and he cut off his own ear trying to escape it.

Yet on my not-so-bad days I may look like a totally healthy, able-bodied person. You ask me "why can't you bend down - pick it up - lift it - drive - get a job - walk without a cane" Its because I know these things can either bring on an attack - I couldn't do them on a regular schedule because of the symptoms - or if I did do them, I could put myself and others in jeopardy if I should have an attack. You have to realize that with my friendship, love, dedication, and loyalty comes the fact that I can't decide when I'm going to have a bad day, and the more stress I'm under, the more likely I will have a bad day.

So, please don't judge me unless you've been in my shoes."

Shari, thank you for posting that. My SIL was diagnosed with Mineire's last year and this has done a great deal to help me understand that she is NOT a hypochondriac and she is NOT avoiding family functions nor is she exaggerating to get sympathy. Not that I really believed she was but I didn't truly understand how bad the symptoms can be either. She is an independent woman who has run her own preschool for some time and now has listed it for sale because she is terrified she will have an attack when she is alone with the children. I will need to make a greater effort to have a real discussion about what her symptoms are really like. Again, thank you.

You are welcome. It is good you are willing to talk to her about it. Is the reason I posted this, just in case someone else has this or knows someone with this horrible disease.

Let her know if she is interested, have her pm me at [email protected] .. we can talk and I can also put her in touch with others.

For you see.. I also have this disease, since I was 17 years old... last year was the worse...had an attack so violent it sent me to the ER...where there luckily,,was an ER Doc on call..whos mother has it too....so I did not have to keep saying I am not on drugs..heres my arm..do a blood test to prove it. Between this and my accident Dec 06... pretty much keeps me house bound. I have good days I can drive,, but I always take a med to make sure I don't have an attack while driving. Is also why my wee equines are sooo important!

....I know a couple of other people I had met online that also has this disease and they are all proud folks but their lives changed because of Menieres. Went from being able to work to SSI, it was a blow to their self esteme.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry to hear you are struggling with this too. The article was a real eye opener for me and I hate to admit that I have not taken the time to really do more than sympathize in passing when my SIL is having a bad day. I know she finds her diet has a great deal to do with how often and how severe the attacks are. Holidays are really tough for her with every one enjoying all the snacks and treats that are about. After reading this thread I think she must be very strong willed indeed. She is the one who hosted our family (and her family as well) Christmas dinner this year and shortly before it was served she had to go to her room for a while. She did manage to make it back when every one was seated but ate very little. I would think one of the worst parts of it might be how isolating it could be. There would be no choice (from what I read) but to try to find a quiet place alone to 'ride out' and episode and that would leave you on the outside looking in a lot of the time. Reading that it is sometimes a condition that for unknown reasons improves spontaneously gave me hope that my SIL might also improve with time. I hope for her sake she is one of those people. I will certainly mention this thread and your willingness to share your experiences with what until last year I had never heard of and I don't think she had either. Sometimes it helps just to have an ear that has 'been there' and truly understands what its like. I know I have benefited from sharing the trials of raising my special needs daughter with others who share the same issues. Thanks again

My really good friend Teresa has been dealing with Menieres for about 6 yrs and it has been really tough for her. Her biggest issue has been with her hearing...she is almost totally deaf in one ear and has some hearing in the other. She has been using a "pocket talker", but that only works for those who understand how to use it for her benefit and only with one on one conversations...not for "groups". She also has very bad vertigo attacks, allergies and other health issues. People do not understand how Menieres truly affects your daily life.

Thank you for posting that and I am sorry you also are having to deal with this disease.

Linda, Am so sorry your friend Teresa has it too.

Am deaf in my right ear.. from low to mid range.. ...high range ..what is left sounds like a high pitched Darth Vader underwater.. along with the non stop ringing. I can't handle any kind of loud noises. If there is any kind of normal dailey noise...it is hard to for me to hear someone speaking. My DH bought me some Bose head phones a year ago...and it makes it a lot easier for me to hear the TV and such and cuts out the background noise. If we go some place as a family and DH drives, I wear the Bose..with no music or anything like that and it really helps with the road noise the Van makes. I would recommend them for your friend.

Once my son decides to move out... I will have to see if I can qualify for a dog trained to let me know if the phone rings and such like that. Not sure how to go about that... and sure I don't qualify quite yet, with just one side pretty much deaf.

While it wont of course cure her disease, she has decided to have a cochlear implant done to (hopefully) help with her deafness. She has tried homeopathic medicine, acupuncture, and being on different specialized diets to help with symptoms and reactions to foods due to the Menieres. She gets sick, gets fatigued, gets depressed and it has affected her job (and the type of job she can have) and her personal relationships. Even her own kids (she has 3 boys aged 15, 17 and 21) dont "get it"...I have seen them talk behind her back because they know she cant hear them and get frustrated because they cant communicate with her like they used to. When I first met Teresa, she was just diagnosed and her hearing was still pretty good, so I have seen how much this disease has taken from her.

I hope her implant works too Linda. But I know one person were it did not... will just depends on how much nerve damage the menieres has done in your friends ear.

Her boys are old enough to understand. Someone might want to take them to an local "hearing impared center"...and have them spend a day in class. Hearing impared folks are very good at showing and teaching people with normal hearing what the hearing impared go through in a day. Would do her sons some good!

Am very lucky... my DS is 19 now... while he too has been frustrated when I can't hear him over the years..... one day I told him it was no worse than me yelling for him to get his chores done, while he is listening to music with his head phones on.
default_rolleyes.gif
Now if he wants to talk with me... he either walks up to my good side or faces me, we turn any TV or such off and I can listen.

Right now.. when I stick to it, my No salt added- no more than a 1000mg of salt a day in food or drinking water(would not believe how much salt is in water that uses a watersoftener!) I don't have near as many violent attacks. But it means you have to be willing to make all your food from scratch any Veggies have to be fresh, or grown yourself and frozen. You can't eat out at all, you have to bring all your food. That in itself is almost a full time job. I make big batches of some things for me, so in case I am a little off but can still eat, I have something to eat.

When it gets worse on days.. I take Meclizine and get away from all TV, computers...anything that can make the menieres worse.

I feel for your friend.. I know what it does to ones life. I can no longer work at training barns and Greenhouses because of this menieres and what that accident did to me. All I can do, is keep myself fed and do my Art. (I would be up a creek if DH couldn't work!) OK well... I can still enjoy my horses and cats too. Helps me stay stress free, which also helps with the Menieres.

Hope your friend can get a handle on her Menieres Linda. Does she know about this forum?

http://www.menieres.org/index.htm

Wow......what issues you must face! Certainly many of us do not have knowledge of the disease you have and I applaud your strength in sharing these facts. I was not aware of menieres until this was posted. These symptoms are a challenge individually but, combined -- I could not image being able to work through them with the grace that you have just expressed. It should make us ALL appreciate the good health we have, remind us to consider what others must endure and how we can offer help to others less blessed.

My late hubby had lost most hearing to jet engines. So I can relate to the actual loss of hearing alone and the frustrations for both the hearing impaired and those close. Fortunately, we did not have the additional losses you must endure.

We had a light which connected to the phone so that you could "see" it ring if not heard. Of course if you are not near the light or are asleep it isn't much good. I also had one of the most amazing tiny poodles you could imagine (a birthday gift from hubby) who recognized the problem he had with hearing and made herself the "self-appointed" hearing aide.....
default_wub.png
If phone rang, doorbell rang, knock at door, I verbally called him, etc....she allowed him appropriate response time then went to him and barked, gently pawed, then went to the noise and back to him until he responded (or I did for phone, etc.)

Lastly, I have seen many of you AMAZING works of art posted here and hope that the persuit of this gift you have is in some way a release for you from these impairments you face. I don't know how you do it, as much as you do each day.

Can you contact an organization for the hearing impaired about obtaining a service dog?

Shari...thanks for the link....I sent it on to my friend. While her good friends have always been there for her for support, Im sure having another type of support system with others actually going thru the same things as she is will be helpful to her.

Latest posts

Back