Large lump on withers resulted in this

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have seen many a warble fly, or cattle grub, parasitic infestation in farm animals, and have NEVER seen the results look like that! Usually the grub emerges from the skin and there is a gaping hole left where it was. Those eruptions look much more like some virus in the strangles family.

Strangles is a bacteria, not a virus. But, it is very virulent and hard to get rid of.
Well duh! I really do know that! LOL! I haven't made myself clear, so I look like an idiot!
default_wacko.png
: (Not at all hard for me to do!)

I've seen many horses with strangles, too, but only with erupted lymph nodes on the neck and never on the withers. So, I didn't think it was actually the streptococcus equi bacterial type of strangles, but wondered if there were some type of virus that could also be associated with strangles or mimic strangles-like eruptions.

But I guess a bacterial strain doesn't have a viral counterpart, huh? :eek: :eek:

In any event, I think that horse needs to be on antibiotics whether that is a viral or bacterial infection.

Ferin,

Sending positive thoughts and prayers your way for your little sick one, I hope all works out. Please keep us updated.

Fern, I have seen fistula of the withers when I was on a call with my vet...it didnt look anything like that. The cattle grubs I have seen have only been in cattle, but once the grub came thru it just left a small hole. Whatever it turns out to be I wish you the best with treatments. Please keep us informed. Corinne

Ferin, I've seen a couple of fistulas and none really looked exactly like that but it does seem to fit.

Could also be some virus of some sort I guess I have no idea.

I'm just thinking maybe she should be separated if she isn't already.

I feel so bad for you and your mare! Keep in touch and let us know what the vet comes up with.
Marty, Carl and I just want to say hi and we pray your summer is a peaceful one for you. I can PM you another time more in detail..but couldn't resist jumping on here to send warm thoughts your way!

Maxine and Carl

Thanks so much for all your ideas, experiences, and well wishes! I now have a few possibilities to talk to my vet about.

The results for the one test are back and she tested negative for Brucellosis. I am so thankful for that! We are waiting to get the other test results back. When we do Ill let you all know what we figure out.

Here are some pics from today. It still looks terrible but in person it is actually looking a little better. We are soaking it 2 times a day with water, epsom salt, and betadine. She is on an antibiotic called Uniprim which seems to already be helping. She is acting like her normal self again.

Please continue to pray for Belle!

PICT0013-2.jpg

PICT0011-2.jpg

Wow. It looks lots better. I hope the treatment continues to work and that you find out what it is real soon. Poor girl. Hugs to you both.

[SIZE=14pt]hi, just wondering how Belle is doing? did the other tests show what the cause was? hopefully she is still healing well
default_yes.gif
: , Nikki
[/SIZE]

My step father and grandfather had work horses when I was growing up, and I have seen fistulas before. I've also seen warbles, and nothing looked quite like that looks. I can remember when the work horses had the fistulas, it was not allowed to get to that stage. When ready, and I really don't know when that was, it was opened with a knife and let bleed. Seems to me I remember quite a lot of pus along with the blood. The wound would then be treated, and the horse rested till all was healed completely.

:no: poor girl.

we will be praying for her. keep us posted.The last pictures look alot better.

Ouchy your poor mare...that looks soo painful. And I too have never seen this before...I hope your vet can get this taken care of. Poor girl...Ill be keeping you guys in my thoughts and prayers..

Not sure how I missed your initial post, but it's been awhile and I'm wondering how things are going for your poor girl!

I've never seen anything like what you showed in your posts and pictures.......This is definitely a learning curve here. I just hope all is going well????

MA

Latest posts

Back