Laney (*filly* 4/10-Tinkerbelle) *New pics pg 187*

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How long is Ricky tied up for? I'll leave my babies tied up for 3 hours sometimes! I'll go outside to work, catch them, tie, and get back to whatever I was doing
default_new_rofl.gif
Given that on show day they'll spend all day standing tied up at the float it's good practise.

I have a rule I stole from Casey Campbell when he came out here to do clinics. If I'm in front of my horse his attention must be on me, if I'm next to him then we aren't working so he can look around, etc.

If he loses attention, jiggle the lead/chain. If that doesn't get it back run him backwards. You need to make sure you catch him as he turns away though, it's a lot harder to correct when they are facing behind them but if you can catch them as the ears and eyes start to wander (before the head has even turned) then the jiggle is usually enough.

Shortest blade I've seen used is an 8 but most people show clip in a 30 with 40 and 50 on faces followed by shaving if you like it. You can also show in a 10 clip, I did while I was learning to clip as it was far less extreme... and showed less mistakes!

I just wanted to clarify my post from yesterday, I wasn't saying for Megan to lunge Ricky i was just saying that people do lunge to get their horses into shape.... I dnt think i'm even going to lunge suzie that much I like the hill work and straight line work. I just wanted to clarify this. I totally agree about young horses not being ready for lungeing.

Megan you have been given great advice here,

Have a great day!

I feel stupid.. but when I clipped both Tink and Ricky I used the shortest setting (my clippers have one blade that adjusts 30-15-10) thinking it was the 10... but I think the longest setting would have been the 10 and the shortest setting is the 30. Am I right? Because the 40 and 50 blades are the closest cuts... the 10 would cut the hair the longest.. so I should have had the clippers set to the longest cut. Correct? The person at the store said the opposite and that the 10 would be the shortest.. So I am confused..

I think Ricky and Tink were actually cut with the blade set to 30...
default_giveup.gif

the larger the number, the shorter the clip. Iy seems backwards, I know. needles and wire gauge is the same way, lol

I thought that was how it went! but the guy at the store said it was the smaller number was shorter like clipper guards for human hair cuts.. I knew I shouldn't have listened.. oh well lol. Tink's clip was my first horse clip so I did pretty good for a 30 blade!

Bree, you did a beautiful job of explaining everything. The only thing I do different is setting the back feet first. Then the front. The judges here also don't like the hand placing of the feet and it is easier on you if you can get them to set up by using the lead. I am at the side to set the back legs. When they get them right, they get a praise and pat and then I move to the front of them and do as Bree does.

Bree, you did a beautiful job of explaining everything. The only thing I do different is setting the back feet first. Then the front. The judges here also don't like the hand placing of the feet and it is easier on you if you can get them to set up by using the lead. I am at the side to set the back legs. When they get them right, they get a praise and pat and then I move to the front of them and do as Bree does.
In the ring I always set up from the back, I just train with the fronts first because 1) they are easier to reach
default_new_rofl.gif
2) I've found the foals balance better with me playing with front legs over back. But yes in the ring you're definetly right with starting from the back end! It is much easier to adjust the fronts once you have the back right.

I also think it is really important to be able to control your stretch! In a handler class we were all told "stand your horse square" and my gelding was one of the only horses that could, they others kept going for that stretch on autopilot. Some judges also like a more dramatic stretch of both body and neck so it's nice to know how much of a stretch you can get away with so you can play it up for them.

I'm BAAAAAACCCKk
default_smile.png

I have missed you ladies so much
default_sad.png
Things were rough around here for a while but it is looking brighter now. I have been popping in to check quickly what is going on as often as possible but want to stick around more
default_smile.png

First- Ricky has joined Laney and Tink and stays when them all night and day now. He is happy to be with Tinkerbelle but has to obey Mama Mad Mouth so he doesn't get put in timeout (for doing nothing of course). Laney has gotten much better but will still pin her ears and chase him with her mouth wide open from time to time. So glad she does not actually bite or leave any marks on my poor boy.

Here are Tinkerbelle and Ricky taking a morning snooze near eachother

DSCN5923.jpg

Feeding time.. Laney and Tink get stalled at mealtime.

DSCN5946.jpg

"I am being good Miss Laney- I promise."

DSCN5947.jpg

It has been so hot we hung a fan in the stall and on the worst days they go into a smaller area to graze because it is all shaded. I had to hose down Ricky and Tink this weekend when the heat index was 115-110. Laney wanted no part in that but drinks so much water she was ok.

Jake is doing AWESOME. I can't get over how well he is and I think he knows we are his family so he is so accepting and loving to us now. Look at my son and him from about 2 weeks ago. My son didn't like him at first but now he adores him. Jake rides so much better and listens to everything we ask.
default_smile.png

DSCN5833-2.jpg

My daughter turned 3 June 17 and my son turns 10 July 24 so we are having a combined birthday party this weekend for them. I need to be cleaning so I must go but I am so glad to be back with my lovely friends and their chips!

Last edited by a moderator:
Great to have you back Megan, we missed you. Oh the minis are looking great - thanks for the pictures. Sorry you are having such trouble with the weather - I know we are having our wettest summer ever over here in the UK, but I don't think I would swop our weather for those high temperatures you are getting, I dont have a lot of spare energy at the best of times, but in the heat I'm useless!!

Your son - it's Austin isn't it? - looks very happy on Jake. I'm so glad that Jake has settled down now, maybe someone told him to be a good boy because he was so lucky to have found such a wonderful and caring family.
default_yes.gif

Good luck with the party - hope they both enjoy their special day - don't forget to take plenty of pics for us!!

Nice to have you back
default_smile.png
Your little herd are looking great!

Hope it cools down for you soon, wish I could send you some of the rain and frost we've had down here.

Welcome back and all your horses are looking super and looks like Ricky looks like geldinghood suits him

I am so sorry I keep going missing
default_sad.png
Things have been really rough around here and I am so glad a little has let up on us. I have needed to come talk with my friends (you ladies) but have been in an odd state and kept to myself
default_sad.png
Sorry, everyone! I feel like an awful friend. I have been checking in when I had a chance but it hasn't been near enough.

The horses are doing well. I keep them together still and Laney isn't as moody with Ricky now. Tinkerbelle likes to imitate her mom and bites.. so her and Ricky are always nibbling on each other and they are now both mouthy with us. I know Ricky is getting that way because of Tink so we well break them both from it.

Laney is already weaning Tinkerbelle. I still have them together but she doesn't nurse often at all and stays around Ricky instead of her mom. She is very healthy so I am not worried about her much. She already is eating the Omolene 300 morning and night and gets the same amount Ricky does.

We have to clip Tink's hooves. We do Ricky's and they look great but Tinkerbelle is needing her first trim. She hates to be restrained and LOVES to kick but I think we can manage lol.

I do have a question about club foot. Ricky's heels grow faster then his toes so we keep them clipped to keep the angle and he does fine but is that considered to be club foot? It doesn't look like the photos I have seen of club foot horses but it does loose it's angle if we don't keep it trimmed.

AND!! I almost forgot! Tinkerbelle's fur is growing back and I have been waiting to send in her papers until I knew what color to put. I was just going to put bay as that is what she had been originally and the ends of her fur had been bay so I thought when I clipped her I just clipped the color off and it would grow back for the winter. Well the fur is growing back and still looking all black so I don't know what to do. Her muzzle still is brown. IF I put down the wrong color for her papers what will happen? Can I change it when I do her permanent papers?

Here are some photos
default_smile.png

Tink

DSCN6125-2.jpg

Ricky and Tink

DSCN6161-2.jpg

DSCN6159.jpg

Me and Jake
default_smile.png

DSCN6391-3.jpg

Oh Megan you look fabulous riding Jake!!
default_thumbup.gif

And Tink and Ricky look great too - bet Ricky is so pleased about having a playmate at last!

Dont ask me about colours - I'm useless, but I'm sure one of the others will help.

I really hope that things will calm down for you soon.
default_yes.gif
Take care of yourself!

YAY Megan is back
default_smile.png

I hope everything settles down for you Megan
default_sad.png
we have missed you. Thanks for the new pics
default_smile.png
they look so fun!

Tink I think is black
default_smile.png
or dark bay, she has the same lightness around the eyes and muzzle that Finn has... very curious with colouring, you could always get her colour tested? might help...?

with Tink's first feet trim, maybe you could get your farrier to do her one or two legs at a time? I got my farrier to do that for Finn last time as the time before he got really stressed and lay down on the farrier lol. he was a lot better this time, I also kept feeding him (not that he needs it LOL) and that helped to distract him while they did him, maybe a suggestion for you?

so are you going to get Ricky out to a show at all this summer? or wait till next season?

maybe with Tink's colour you could take some close up shots and put them on the main forum asking for colour suggestions?

I'd be inclined to say dark bay due to what looks like a mealy muzzle and a brown tinge to her colouring but we could do with some clearer photos
default_wink.png

I hope things get better for you soon, hugs.

Thanks ladies
default_smile.png
I have missed you all
default_sad.png

I am so excited! Tonight I brushed Tinkerbelle out and was looking at her back legs and there is some brown growing in over the black. I definitely think she is a bay now.

We worked with her on a lead line for the first time today and she seriously freaked out at first. She was rearing and spazing and poor thing got out of breath. I got her to calm down and stand still.. then here comes sweet Ricky at my side. He sniffed and walked to Tink slowly looking worried. Then he started to groom her and nibble her shoulder like he was comforting her. It was the sweetest thing ever. I think he was really trying to calm her down and it worked. He was so slow and gentle with her. My big man
default_smile.png

After that she only got excited once. We just let her stand and I had my hubby stand at her side and gently ask for her to turn one step at a time and she did really well so we ended it at that.

Cassie- I don't think we will show Ricky this year. Things are rough for us and I want to focus on getting out of here. I am going to work with him on standing and leading so he is ready and once we decide to show I will worry about his conditioning. For now I am going to let him be happy and eat like he is.

fair enough Megan I think you have made the right decision! :D I really hope your able to get out of there soon! sounds horrible
default_sad.png

what if you got hubby leading Ricky in front and you leading tink behind? and getting Ricky to be your leader horse showing Tink how its done?

don't know if it will work but it could be worth a try?

That's a good suggestion Cassie - someone to follow really does help in the beginnng!

Hope you can get things sorted very soon Megan, I know that 'things' have been worrying you for quite a while now.

((((HUGS))))

Thanks ladies
default_smile.png
It makes me feel better just speaking to you.

That is a great idea Cassie! I think it will help a lot to have Ricky join and try teaching. I still can't get over how sweet he was to her yesterday. Her mom on the other hand was like "GET AWAY FROM ME" and ran off when Tink tried to get to her when she was frightened. She wanted nothing to do with the madness.. and probably didn't want to be haltered herself. Silly mare.

I really do believe horses learn from watching. I do halter stand up refreshers with my older horses in front of my babies, not sure if it works but it certainly doesn't hurt!

Latest posts

Back