Ladies showing classic stallions in amateur halter class?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMS Miniatures

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]I was talking with Dana the other day and she was thinking that ladies can't show classic stallions in amateur halter class but couldn't find it in the rule book? Can they or can't they?[/SIZE]

i have never heard that?? I do believe i have seen women show classic stallions. I feel sure getitia has. why wouldnt a woman be able to show?

[SIZE=12pt]I think perhaps last year at the Claremore show their was some rules that the club that set the show itself made about how women can't show stallions in certain classes. Never heard of it an actual rule though but just wanted to make sure.[/SIZE]

Thanks!

hopefully getitia or lewella will come online as they have way more experience then i do but i have never heard of such a thing and quite frankly i would be offended LOL

I'd have to look but as far as I can remember the only class where Ladie's cannot show Stallions in the Shetland division (think it is both Modern and Classic) is the "Ladies" driving classes. I've shown stallions amatuer halter before.

[SIZE=12pt]I was too lol[/SIZE]

I'd have to look but as far as I can remember the only class where Ladie's cannot show Stallions in the Shetland division (think it is both Modern and Classic) is the "Ladies" driving classes. I've shown stallions amatuer halter before.
[SIZE=12pt]That might have been the conflict lol. Thanks![/SIZE]

We are the ones who put the claremore show on. I have no idea what Dana is talking about, but we have never kept amatuer ladies from showing stallions! We, as a club, cannot just make rules up. We MUST go by the ASPC/AMHR rules! Jamie, if you will look at last years schedule, the 15th class we offered was

Halter Stallion Amatuer Owned & Shown - 46 & Under. There were no 'rules' about anyone not being able to show. Perhaps you have it mixed up with Youth.

Pam

There is no rule againist Ladies showing stallions in Amateur. Ladies are not allowed to drive stallions in Ladies Driving classes..

And as Pam said they have never stop Ladies from showing stallions in Amateur at the Claremore shows either..

Sincerely

Belinda Bagby

Classic Shetland Committee Chairman

Ok, here is what happened...

Yes, I was at a Claremore show, and I was sitting in the stands when a Modern ammy stallion class was in the ring. There were two stallions in the ring that were owned by the same person. He was handling one stallion and a friend of his was handling another. I asked how it was possible for a person that did not own the stallion could be showing in ammy. I was told that the ammy rules for shetlands do not state that you have to own or lease the horse you are showing, just that you can not be a professional. And they added that you could not be a women handling a stallion in an ASPC ammy halter class either. I was shocked...but I was told it was in the rule book and had been that way from the beginning. I voiced my opinion that is was a very sexist rule and that was about it.

Now, I have looked in the rule book and I have not been able to find that information. So far the only thing I have found was that you are not allow to show a ASPC stallion in a Ladies driving class. (Still sexist if you as me, but know one has.)

So, I guess from the replies, Jamie will be able to show her stallion in an ammy halter class, but not drive him in the Ladies driving classes...right?

Thanks for the info.

Good Evening,

I would like to make a clarification in regards to Miniatures/Shetlands being shown by Amateurs.

First, in order to show in ANY ASPC/AMHR/ASPR Amateur class a person who is 18 years old and older must hold an official amateur card and be a senior member in good standing with the ASPC/AMHR Registry. Cost of the amateur card is $5.00.

A amateur's name must be on the registration papers or the name of the family member (See rulebook on what is deem family). If an amateur has two horses in the same amateur class one animal must be shown by the family member of that amateur that also holds an amateur card. A friend cannot show that horse for them. This is true for both the Shetland division and the Miniature horse division.

If you will look you will also see that to participate in any of the Amateur awards programs, the horses registration papers must be in the Amateur name.

The only class that ladies cannot show a stallion is the Ladies driving class in the Shetland division. This is an old rule that comes from the old world of showing. Ladies were considered delicate and not "manly" enough to handle stallions. Just a old time tradition before any of our time that is still honored.

If you have any quesitons concerning the amateur program please drop me an email.

Thank you.

Karen Shaw

Chairman

ASPC/AMHR/ASPR Triple A Amateur Advantage Program

Latest posts

Back