Is there any benefit to geld him?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniCooper

Reaction score
I called my vet to inquire about gelding the little stallion I bought a month ago. The receptionist gave me the impression that he was too old. She said "Wow...he's been a stallion along time. Um....let me see if we can do this" and put me on hold. That worried me. About the vet AND the matter of gelding him.

Is he too old to geld?

He is in his mid teens.

I will never breed him. He is not kept around mares. He has a FANTASTIC personality. You would never know he is a stallion. Does it seem worth doing.....or would it be better to let him keep his manhood?

My vet won't geld my old stallion who is 20+ but did geld my 8 year old boy and he did fine
default_smile.png
I would geld up to 15 years and wish my old boy who is 20+ Was Gelded Years ago! How old is your guy?
default_smile.png

We use to own a QH rope horse that was gelded at 14.

I had my two boys gelded last year. One is my unreg. mini. We think he's around 14. My vet didn't indicate that there was a problem gelding a teen mini (or one older than that). And he had the personality of a gelding. He was a sweetheart. But I hated having to keep him separated from the herd since we owned mares also.

[SIZE=12pt]Why bother.... as you indicated he has a FANTASTIC personality and he's not keeping company with any mares. So don't bother.... if your not showing him and if he's just hanging out in your pasture or yard.[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Even though you don't have any mares, if you are planning on taking him to shows he will be around mares. If your children are going to be handling him at these shows, I'd definetely have him gelded! One of my geldings was gelded at 12 and never had any problems.

If he's being kept by himself because he's a stallion I'd definitely have him gelded. If you're never going to breed him why make him live alone when he could live with buddies? If he's an only horse and is really good I'd probably not have it done. Guess IMO it all depends on his living arrangements.

Maybe find a different vet, but certainly you can geld him! I know several stallions who were gelded in their 20's (full-sized and minis) and lots in their teens and they all did fine. An older horse will take longer to heal and considerably longer to change any studdy behavior than a young stallion but that's all. Most vets who won't do it are concerned about the effects of general anesthesia on an older horse but he's really not that old, especially for a pony/mini.

I hated to geld my 4 year old stallion when I got him because like yours he was a sweetie with people but when we went to shows he was definitely distracted by the girls and I didn't know how to handle a stallion correctly. It was kinder just to remove those hormones so we didn't have to deal with it. (He didn't agree, but that's another story!
default_rolleyes.gif
)

If you're going to try showing him and letting your kids show him, you may need to geld him to be in compliance with the rules about kids and stallions. If he's going to be staying home and doesn't have any mares around to torture him, let him keep his jewels as long as he's trustworthy. Mini stallions can be amazingly kind!

Leia

Gelding him (or not) due to his age makes no sense to me. I've heard some vets say they think really older stallions (20+) may bleed longer but my vet still does it without reservation. It's just something to watch. We gelded two in late 2007, one was 3 the other was 17+++ (don't know for sure, could be as old as mid 20's). The 3 year old bled more and was more sore than the old guy. Go figure!

Thank you for all your input....I definately didn't think about the mares at a horse show, if I decide to try that. It would be alot easier with a gelding. He is an only horse (with a goat!) so that is why I wasn't concerned about the living arrangements at home.

It makes me feel better about gelding an older stallion, knowing you have had experience here. The receptionist at the vet just made it sound like I was asking a horrible question. And then I began to question if it was safe, or stupid!

You guys are great!

I had a stallion gelded when he was, I think 18. He had gone steril, but still thought he could do the job. He healed rapidly and calmed down quickly, but still retained a showy spirit. That said, there is always some risk with surgery. There is also risk with remaining a stallion. You just have to weigh your options.

Even though you don't have any mares, if you are planning on taking him to shows he will be around mares. If your children are going to be handling him at these shows, I'd definetely have him gelded! One of my geldings was gelded at 12 and never had any problems.

I really had issues with my 20+ boy at shows due to this, so I would geld him for showing reasons. Also, I could NOT show a Stallion in any youth classes. SO it's your call, but I'd do it. My Midnight has only bred a few mares, back likely 20 years ago! (We got him a 5 years old and he hasn't bred since and he is now 28 years old) and he is VERY stud-ish and LOUD around other horses
default_rolleyes.gif
And yet, him and I can do amazing things together - we used to lie under a large maple tree together while I would read.
default_wub.png
You wouldn't know he was a stallion - unless other horses were around, then he was the big man in town!

I wish I had more/better pictures - but here is an idea off how close we are... He's my ol' buddy
default_wub.png
:wub

back.jpg

I really had issues with my 20+ boy at shows due to this, so I would geld him for showing reasons. Also, I could NOT show a Stallion in any youth classes. SO it's your call, but I'd do it. My Midnight has only bred a few mares, back likely 20 years ago! (We got him a 5 years old and he hasn't bred since and he is now 28 years old) and he is VERY stud-ish and LOUD around other horses
default_rolleyes.gif
And yet, him and I can do amazing things together - we used to lie under a large maple tree together while I would read.
default_wub.png
You wouldn't know he was a stallion - unless other horses were around, then he was the big man in town!

I wish I had more/better pictures - but here is an idea off how close we are... He's my ol' buddy
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

back.jpg

This is a GREAT photo! I love it...

I have gone out in the barn and sat in the stall while he is laying down. He will put his head in my lap and let me play with his forelock and ears.....but nothing like this! Yet.....we've only been together a month. Give us time....LOL

Also remember that minis are addicting, and there are BOUND to be more in your life, just give it time LOL!!!
default_smile.png
So a gelding would make that easier vs a stallion ;)

LOL.. Thanks. Midnight has been a huge part of my life for many years, and as you can see I did name my stable after him.
default_wub.png
Midnight can do just about anything you can think of, and if you'd like to see more, I'd invite you to visit his photo gallery on my website. He is my favorite
default_wub.png

So keep us updated and please let us know what you decide
default_yes.gif

A rescue I volunteer with did lose a belgian stallion who was in his late teens after they gelded him. I don't know the exact details of what happened, but the gelding was done by a reputable equine vet.

I'm ALL for gelding, but I can see why you'd have some concerns.

I had a Mini stallion gelded at almost 15 years old. I was no longer using him for breeding, and he had always been a handful stallion. Once gelded and after waiting a few months, I was able to put him in with the mares. He still acted stallionish with stallions, but otherwise was easier to deal with. I have since sold him to a home with 3 geldings where he is doing well.

Before gelding he was hard to control as a driving horse, after, he was ready for a more intermediate/advanced beginner.

The only difference wtih gelding an older horse is the fact that they may bleed more. My vet kept him overnight to make sure everything was alright before I was able to bring him home. If you are going to do it, I would do it while it is still colder and no flies.

Latest posts

Back