Is there a method for checking out suspicious buyers?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I haven't sold any horses over the internet, they have all been sold to local neighbors and such. I have recently found that while trying to sell on the internet, I have been having to deal with scammers or pranksters. Either one is annoying. I know about the good ole "I will send you more than the horse is selling for and YOU pay MY shipper". I am aware of that one. And the broken English or maybe it is "texting" type. Who knows. But is there a way to look someone up to see if they are real without having to pay a site for a background check? I think that is almost as bad as the scammers. I look someone up (for free) and they are found but I have to pay $?.?? (not free) for the information I need and not for a one time look up but for each month for a year. Are we allowed to ask on this site if anyone has had any dealings with a certain person? Is there a forum on here that covers just that topic? Like don't deal with someone called __________, they are scammers? Or here is a list of known names used by scammers? Any help would be appreciated. I have someone who says they live in Ohio who is supposed to be sending me a cashiers check. I am in Mississippi. They know not to pull the shippers scam because they said don't worry about the shipping they will take care of it. Is there another scam involving cashiers checks? For some reason, I just don't trust this person. I am really not sure why I feel that way yet. How do they pull off sending you a check, you cash it, and it must bounce. Is there some way they can get my account number at my bank by doing that? Or, are they just going to come get my horse? Is there a lenght of time I need to hold on to my horse even with a cashiers check or money order ? Input, please.
default_smile.png
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Usually if you think it is a scam, it usually is.

B

You could always say, horse does not leave until funds clear. Or Postal MO, I bought a out of state horse and sent a bank check from my CU.

Good Luck

Cashier's checks can be easily faked and fake ones are often hard to detect, even by bank tellers! There is a lot of information available on the internet (free!) about the connection between internet scams and cashier's checks.

You could ask the person to provide references. A licensed veterinarian can be a good reference, a feed store, etc. Be wary of anyone providing you with a private reference, one that is not a place of business. You could ask them if they have ever bought a horse from another Miniature Horse farm and then contact that farm if you think that it is reputable.

Sometimes you can get a 'feel' for a person via email and the phone, but not always. I may ask to know what kind of facilities they have, and references, including their vet.

I have had some conversations with folks that started out normal, that quickly went down the drain, and for any number of a variety of reasons, would not be someone I would sell to. Go by your gut feeling.

Also, scammers use various names and emails, but you will begin to recognize their basic email, grammar, etc.. and their mode of operating.

Tis the season for Scammers, and they are getting better at it.

They sence a desperate market and are taking advantage of some sellers.

A true scammer will not give you their phone number, address or anything that will trace you to them.

Sometimes they give out other peoples phone numbers, so you need to check them.

Scammers also say they are hearing impaired, or something like that, so they dont have a phone. .

Since this is your horse you have a right to ask where they are located so you can know where your horse is going.

If they wont give you that information, or avoid it, then I would chuck them up a scammer.

Scammers rarely ask details about the horse, and just want to get payment info, and want you to hold the item.

Sometimes they ask what condition it is in, and what is your last asking price on it.

Generic questions like that.. Real sales dont happen that way.

Bad Cashiers Checks, are the common tool for scammers, and have been known to bounce weeks after being deposited,

so not to trust that either. I wouldnt, It will come back out of your bank account if its bad..

The details you mentioned to me that alert me is the cashiers check and the shipping is handled part..

They dont want to give you any info about them,- and are cleverly avoiding it by handling it that way.

I agree with listening to your GUT......plus, Margaret made some good points.

We don't sell a horse with ONLY e-mail. We speak to them by phone as well.......and usually many times. (It's GOOD to have both buyer and seller get to know each other.)

A serious buyer asks lots of questions about the horse, ie, pedigree, personality, health, training, etc...... They also want to see a lot of photos.......not just the one or two that have been posted on the original ad. And if you are able to provide a video of the horse, even better......

A serious buyer doesn't just jump in and start wanting to discuss shipping and how to send (FULL) payment. Normally, payment comes up gradually and tends to be "negotiated"........with shipping being the last item discussed.

A REAL Sale, via the internet tends to take several weeks to complete........while a SCAM wants it to be SLAM DUNK.

Because of the scammers, I have used caution in dealing with people I am buying horses from on the internet. From my first email I give my full name and my phone number.Email 2 after I have seen more pics I usually add my address and phone number and ask if I can call them. Also, I would never expect someone to pay MY shipper. If I am not coming to pick up the horse, from my end I pay my shipper. After all of this I hope they trust me. I have never gone back on a time pay horse. Infact, even though he wasn't what we expected I was going to go through with the purchase of a colt I didn't need. The owner let me out of that one by saying I(meaning me) really don't need another gelding. She knew I was buying it as a stud to replace mine. I would hope that because of all of the sharks out there in computer land it does not affect the selling of horses to honest people on the internet.

I just purchased my last horse sight unseen, and thru email only. I chatted with the owner for a week or two before finally giving the okay for her to haul him to me. She was unable to come, but I met her husband. Still have yet to meet her, but things went well and I am VERY happy with the horse.

I just purchased my last horse sight unseen, and thru email only. I chatted with the owner for a week or two before finally giving the okay for her to haul him to me. She was unable to come, but I met her husband. Still have yet to meet her, but things went well and I am VERY happy with the horse.

Don't forget a simple Google Search too.

As far as the shipping..........I do care very much about the shipping and have the right to refuse to put a horse on an unsafe trailer in my contract now.

Not everyone can be Googled. There is no harm in trying, but I wouldn't let a Google search make or break a sale for anyone. If you Google (when did Google become a verb!? LOL) my name, nothing about me comes up, but stuff about 50 blue million other people with the same name as me comes up and that bothers me to no end. There is a girl with the same name as me that has posted a video on MySpace of an American Saddlebred show and apparently rides/shows American Saddlebreds and I used to ride at a top American Saddlebred barn! Creepy! Oh, and, I thought that I had a relatively uncommon name!

I don't envy sellers these days and I certainly appreciate the trials that you go through.

I think you have gotten some good advice but I wanted to throw out there that some people are legit even if they may sound like a scammer. I have sold several horses to a lady that is deaf and of course after the first sell I was aware of her and knew she was legit however if I had ignored her e-mails I would have never had the chance to do business with her... She e-mails off of her phone and happens to be a horrible speller -- but also she tended to word things very strange at times -- things that all would have pointed to me that she was a scammer but 3 horses and several years later I am quite aware that she is legit
default_smile.png

Another thing I noticed is the mention of meeting people you are dealing with (if possible) and or talking on the phone.... I will tell you I am a buyer/seller that REALLY perfers to do business via e-mail. I have access to my e-mail 24/7 so can check it and respond at my convinence. I am not a person that likes to talk on the phone -- I never have and even talking about a subject like horses doesnt really make me any better on the phone... But that is just me -- I mean if someone wanted to talk to me on the phone I would be more than willing for their peace of mind however I rarely do phone calls unless asked.... And unless you come to my farm or meet somewhere VERY close to my house chances of you meeting me are pretty slim... I do not travel. I get car sick if I am in the vehicle very long so about the farthest I ever venture from the house is an hour and most the time my husband goes alone on any trips that are over 45 minutes away just because he knows it is easier than me getting sick....

Anyways -- that is just my 2 cents -- go with your gut!

Good Luck!

Oh DGR you are so much like me..I really hate to talk on the phone too and will only do it if asked...I am actually in the process of buying a special equine friend and have only dealt with the lady via email.. She's only an hour away from me so its not too bad.. I have been emailing her often for the last almost 2 weeks now...Come to find it due to circumstances her phone is disconnected. She answers any questions I have and everything. I am actually hiring a transport company whose local to go get him but I am riding along with her to go pick him up. So I will finally get to meet her.
default_smile.png
I think I am kinda random in emails though, my mind kinda wanders while I am emailing. But I would hope I dont sound like a scammer... Heck with me though if I were selling a horse I would certainly ask them maybe what their plans are for the horse and what not. I think thats your right to ask.

No offence guys, but in this age of scammers, I personally would not sell a horse to anyone that did not give me their address or their personal contact information.

Just for the record of knowing where your horse is going..

I sell many of my horses out of state and this is just standard procedure, for finializing the sale.

None of my out of state buyers came down to see my horses, and they did not have a problem with sharing their location and phone number with me..

This also helps the seller to know more about the buyer.

I also like to have at least one phone conversation, to know that the buyer is legit.

I have bought and sold several horses without meeting the other party in person or talking to them on the phone. I have not had a scammer nor have I been a scammer
default_wacko.png

Frankly I would be pretty offended if someone demanded I fly across country or drive across a state before they would consider me serious. Thankfully there are many farms out there who realize that out of state sales are a huge business for them and are more then willing and able to work with out of state buyers.

To think that talking on the phone means someone can't pull one over on you well I frankly just do not understand that. To think that if someone gives you their address you can suddenly know all you need to know about them and what type of home they will provide your horse - again I do not understand it. Google is not the be all end all of information out there and I sure would not base a decision either way on things I found there.

Most scammers are pretty obvious- once you sell your horse you have no control over what type of home it goes to the new owners can turn around and sell it for more within 24 hours, they can keep it in a stall 24/7 or keep it out 24/7 the only way to ensure one of your "babies" doesnt end up in a house you do not approve of is to simply not breed and produce more horses and keep what you have.

While becoming friendly with the buyer or seller of your horse is nice (and in most cases I have kept in touch years later )it is not something that makes a good buyer/seller. It does not ensure a great home it does nothing more then give the seller warm fuzzies and frankly that is not my job as a buyer- if it happens naturally that is wonderful and if it doesn't I feel no need on either side to force it I am looking to buy/sell a horse not to buy/sell a new friend
default_wink.png

I have sold/brought from email over the internet. I have had good folks and bad ones by email.I was blessed with good horses from alot of folks out of state.

Pray about your choice.

I pray all goes well for you.

Always go with your heart.

Ask for vet ref good advice.
default_biggrin.png
The vet send you to me
default_wub.png

I got several emails yesterday that were suspicious, so I told them I would only accept cash for the sale of the horse and never heard back......................
default_rolleyes.gif

Latest posts

Back