is it ok to jump her?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MistysOwner

Reaction score
ok, i don't know if i'm going to get flamed for this, but will i break or ruin my 1yr old minis legs if i jump her? i swear she was born to do it, i started jumping her because she was jumping out of the pasture and that was apprx 4' high and she would usually clear it! the first jump i took her to was around 2' 2'' and i walked her up to it so she could sniff it and after she sniffed it she popped right over it with no warning, and she overjumped it by at least a foot! she had the form and style of an olympic showjumper! i've been told by someone in my 4h mini club and she says that you can't jump them or drive them before 3 or 4 years old. i don't want to hurt her, but i was also thinking of taking her in jumping competitions next year if it won't hurt her. she really loves it, i've never seen a mini go at a jump like she does
default_wub.png

I would certainly not recommend that you jump her until she is at least 3. She is still growing and although you aren't likely to break her legs, you might do harm that will affect her when she is older. Also, most shows will not allow you to enter them in jumping (or driving) until they are at least 3. Pinto is the exception, but just because they allow you to drive and jump at 2, we still don't do it.

She might like to do it, but she isn't the one who knows what harm it will do...it is up to us to not "push" our youngsters. Her "knees" might not be closed, and this can cause a lot of problems later on down the road.

Just one an example of what harm can be done...I had to have a nine year old Paint mare euthanized because she suffered terribly from ringbone...there was nothing to be done for her, it was so painful. She had been jumped in "fun" by her former owners when she was only a two year old. Granted, she also had short pasterns which contributed to the ringbone...but I feel certain, as did my Vet, that had she not been jumped as a baby, she would have remained sound and pain-free.

There is a reason for age limits, and the future soundness of your horse is at stake...so I say an emphatic NO, to jumping a yearling OR two year old.

When my minis were yearlings, I was told not to do any jumping until they were 3 as the bones are still growing and maturing and they could be damaged. I think at the shows, they limit who can jump by age too but I am not sure of the specifics. You can however work with them for halter obstacle.

Barb

ok, i don't know if i'm going to get flamed for this, but will i break or ruin my 1yr old minis legs if i jump her?
Break, no. Ruin? Most DEFINITELY. Stop jumping her NOW. She is still a baby. She needs to mature. In AMHR & AMHA they have to be three to compete in jumping.

Plus, you have her whole life. There are horses in their teens out competing. If you continue to jump her at this age you MIGHT get to play with her for a few years. Maybe. Why risk it?

I know how tempting it is to start jumping minis before they are old enough. When mine were yearlings I would watch them trot and even canter over little logs and being a now-retired hunter rider I was really excited to start working with the minis. I learned from this forum, however, not to do anything much before they are three.

It helped to put it in the same context as full-sized horses -- I would never THINK of starting a big horse over fences until they were older. It's sometimes hard to remember that although yearling minis might look full grown-ish, they aren't! Their bones and tendons and ligaments are still getting strong.

Be patient. It'll be worth it in the long run. Too many horses (of all sizes) have been ruined as babies.

Minis jump at 3. I never jumped my big horses until they were 5. The knees are still open until then.

Ditto, should not jump a horse until the knees close, could be as early as 3 years old, could be as long as 5 years old, it happens when it happens. Don't jump or lunge babies no matter how much fun it is for them. I had a large pony once that the former owner had done too much with as a yearling (lunging exercise etc) and his knees were not only open but he had these "jelly bean" swellings right on his knee caps that were filled with fluid. I always hoped they would eventually go down as he matured and his knees closed, but they were still there when he was a 4 year old and would get bigger with exercise and riding. I never did jump the boy, and he was sold to a pet home. Mind this was 30+ years ago and don't know if modern vet meds could have fixed the issue, but it has been on my mind for over 30 years, don't work out those babies and don't jump
default_new_shocked.gif
. If you want longivity, then take your time when they are babies and let them grow up, not flaming you, you asked a good question... She sounds cute, she will probably be like my one young boy, gotta keep him entertained, he has more energy and imagination than you can believe. If I put out a big plastic tarp in the field he will drag it around , roll on it and play with it for a long time. I am always trying to think of games for him to keep him out of trouble, but I figure all these games will spook train him for driving someday. Good luck.
default_saludando.gif

Page 268 AMHR Rules - The minimum age for a horse to enter the jumper or hunter class is 3.

Knees on horses, any horses, do not tend to close up until almost their 3 year birthdate.

If she occassionally jumps, its recreational. If she does it more than that I would be looking for the reason.

I don't think there is anything wrong with jumping a young horse over say a small log or something like that. I think it's good to introduce them to going over obstacles like that so they're always willing as they get older.

Were I live your Mini has to be 3 years old to compete in jumping.

There is usually a small jump in trail class though, I think you could do that.

I think it's fantastic that you had the courage to ask, even thinking you might get "flamed" Well done!

What a good question. I never knew about knees closing.
default_unsure.png
I have a four year old who loves to jump--and after trying my two year old with it, discovered she hates it. Good thing, eh?

You're a good horse owner to check. Bravo!

I never knew about knees closing.
There is an area in the joint that is very similar to a human baby's "soft spot". The bone doesn't totally close over until the horse is between 3-5 years old. It can be checked with an x-ray, and commonly is before many horses are sent to a trainer to be started under saddle.

I agree- stop until she is old enough. I know someone who just had to get rid of a horse they purchased lately- a young mare, whose joints are already permanently ruined for life because her previous owners were riding her too early, too hard. The damage cannot be reversed. (this is a full sized horse)

There are age limits on the horses showing for a reason- because it is just not safe and sound for them to be doing that type of activity at a younger age.

Good for you for asking!!!

thanks for the info guys! i hope i haven't ruined her knees, she's my best mare and friend
default_unsure.png

I'm sure you won't have ruined her, she is young and, now you have stopped, she will have plenty of time to recover, and will not forget her eagerness to jump, either.

It was sensible and courageous of you to ask this question, and I also commend you for listening to the advice you were given.
default_cheekkiss.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure you won't have ruined her, she is young and, now you have stopped, she will have plenty of time to recover, and will not forget her eagerness to jump, either.It was sensible and courageous of you to ask this question, and I also commend you for listening to the advice you were given.
default_cheekkiss.gif

thanks lol
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back