In your opinion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sterling

Reaction score
What breed of dog would you consider this to be and why?

WhippetToy.jpg

Wow, that is cool looking. What is it?

Looks like a coursing hound of some kind to me.

It's long an lean in the body - back legs look longer than the front, for some serious speed.

Almost looks like something you'd find in an Egyptian tomb.

I agree that it looks like a coursing hound. To me, it looks like a Saluki without quite as much hair as they usually have, though Salukis don't generally have their tail out like that, usually tucked between their legs. It also looks like it could be a West Russian Coursing Hound.

Well Cheyenne, I cheated...I noticed the name of the file was Whippet toy as it was dmaybe something more like a Saluki, as it seems to have a little more coat? A Whippet has a very short, sleek coat.ownloading. It is definately a hound, but I would think. You're safe to say Hound anyway.
default_wink.png

I appreciate everyone's reply so far. I had not even thought of a Saluki....thanks for bringing that to my attention too. I looked into the Italian Greyhound and the Whippet but could not get over the ears...they seem to be flat and lay down floppy.

Mona....lol...I tried to save the pic as "Whippet Toy?" but it would not let me save with any signs like "?". I have it in suspended animation until I can figure out the proper title to name it.
default_wacko.png
The ears threw me for a loop.....so I thought I'd get a consensus of what people thought before I list it on my website.
default_biggrin.png

Well I live with 7 Salukis and I would say of any breed it looks most like a Saluki!

Not a perfect specimen of one, but good enough that I can certainly tell what it is.

Believe me, Salukis do not always have their tails tucked between their legs.

Just when they're not happy about something, much like any dog. When they are

standing relaxed, the tail hangs down straight.

Take a look at my website.
default_wink.png

Here is a good example...here is my Coco (on her breeder's website), she was

out in the yard happy and playing.

ZBee Salukis

What is that piece, anyway?

Shelley

Last edited by a moderator:
Shelley...what beautiful dogs! Thank you for your opinion. Connie...I know!! Lol.....I thought that too about the Afgan Hound
default_laugh.png

Oh this is just a small toy I'm going to embed in a soap...but I wanted to get my breed right before posting it onto my website.

You're welcome and thanks!

Funny, when we say we have Salukis most people don't have a clue what they are...

we describe them as an Afghan without all the hair!
default_smile.png

Shelley

Shelley...what beautiful dogs! Thank you for your opinion. Connie...I know!! Lol.....I thought that too about the Afgan Hound
default_laugh.png
Oh this is just a small toy I'm going to embed in a soap...but I wanted to get my breed right before posting it onto my website.

Just say "Hound" and you'll be safe!
default_wink.png
Okie dokey...I think I'll do that!
To be VERY honest, I'm not sure it would be a good idea to just say "hound" to most people, a "hound" is a bloodhound or a beagle for some reason. Maybe specify that it's a coursing hound?

dont let your saluki read that! They will be highly offended that you compare them to those ditzy Afghans!
default_new_rofl.gif

You're welcome and thanks!
Funny, when we say we have Salukis most people don't have a clue what they are...

we describe them as an Afghan without all the hair!
default_smile.png

Shelley

default_laugh.png

I collect greyhound "stuff" ( as well as other sighthounds

I would list it as "greyhound, whippet, saluki" anyone that collects things of any of those breeds will look and decide it it looks like "thier" breed

you may also add Irish Wolfhound ( which to me is what it looks more like)

default_wink.png
To be VERY honest, I'm not sure it would be a good idea to just say "hound" to most people, a "hound" is a bloodhound or a beagle for some reason. Maybe specify that it's a coursing hound?

OK, I'm going to be the odd ball here but to me it looks kind of like a setter without all the long belly hair. The muzzle is a little small if you are thinking of English but it looks like my Llewellins. I have three of them but admire the Irish and Gordon too.

Well, on second inspection, the neck is a little long for a setter as well as the tail and I don't think setters are that lean. Guess I was just looking at the stance that made me think of setter.

I am going to guess Deerhound.

Edited to say: Oops forgot to say why. I feel that they are tall, lean, have that kind of hair and ears. They look slightly like WolfHounds. Of course it doesnt look exactly like one but I will lean toward that. ^_^

Looks like a Saluki or Azawak...... Shelley that Coco is FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lyn

Nope, it doesn't have Greyhound, Irish Wolfhound or Whippet ears. It has Saluki ears.

Too much tuck up on the underline to be an IW also.

You could always just put "sighthound".
default_smile.png

Shellee

I collect greyhound "stuff" ( as well as other sighthoundsI would list it as "greyhound, whippet, saluki" anyone that collects things of any of those breeds will look and decide it it looks like "thier" breed

you may also add Irish Wolfhound ( which to me is what it looks more like)

default_wink.png

Thanks, Lyn! We are pretty excited about her.

And seeing as her great grandmother was my heart dog

and we bred and own her grandsire, it makes her even more dear

to us.

Shellee

Looks like a Saluki or Azawak...... Shelley that Coco is FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Lyn

You could always just put "sighthound".
This is what I was thinking too. Thank you for the input everyone...I really appreciate it!

Latest posts

Back