If I were considering a mini-donk

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happy Valley

Reaction score
There is a mini horse sale and show coming up and there will be some mini-donks there. I think they're adorable and I know my Mother would just love one and I don't know a thing about them. Mini horses I know about, but not donkeys. I just know that they are cute. What do you think? What to look for? What to avoid?

EDIT: I am NOT looking to buy...just looking. For fun. Maybe someday after I know more about them.

EDIT AGAIN: If I WERE to buy a mini-donk, it would be a pet. Wouldn't have to do a thing, just stand around and eat and get loved on by my Mom and her grandkids and me. Do they do stuff like that?

Stacye

Last edited by a moderator:
Most donkeys LOVE to be loved on. The ones I've been around love attention and go out of their way for it!

If you were to look to buy.......go for a jenny or gelding. Since you don't want to breed, stay away from the jacks. They can cause problems. A good jenny or gelding don't have that "urge" and the raging hormones that get in the way. OK, so jennys might have some hormone issues but nothing like a jack will.

Donks can get by on just about any type of food but we spoil ours and he gets good timothy grass and rolled barley. His diet is watched carefully so he doesn't get the fat deposits some do. From experience and what I've read/been told/etc.... high protein diets are what cause the donks to get fat fast. Once they get the fat, it is really hard (almost difficult) to get rid of.

I say......Go Look! You never know.

I would consider a gelding, I think, above all else. Jacks...too much testosterone around here already. Jennys...got enough mares, need no more females in heat around here. I think a nice little gelding would do nicely, but again, I REALLY don't need another thing around here. I think I'll tire kick for a while...

I'll post pics when I pick one out
default_wub.png
:

Stacye

Latest posts

Back