How do you protect yourself?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I now have a switch blade and so help me if anyone ever .........I'll gut them like a fish and never think twice about it.

I second what everyone has said here, .......I have guns available if needed, but,

I have a switchblade on me at all times.

Sue
default_smile.png

Marsha....I like your sign, might have to use that one in a couple of places.

On the subject of signs here's the one I made up

[SIZE=10pt]It costs a lot to feed my dogs,[/SIZE]

Their stomachs I must fill

But if you choose to trespass here

YOU can decrease my bill!

That and the large Bullmastiffs in my yard has been pretty effective it seems.

WOW!

I may not be crazy about Minnesota, but perhaps I should not consider moving anywhere else. I live alone on 10 acres with farmers fields all around me. My nearest neighbor is 1/4 mile away.

I never lock my house, except at night, do not have any house keys. All my vehicles keys are in their ingnitions. My barn driveway as well as my house driveway have gates across them. I do have a lot of dogs, but in the winter,they are all in the dog room off the house. In the spring, summer and fall I do have a collie who lives outside, unless it is raining.

Still, I feel very safe here.

All of my horses are in the paddock areas at night, 3 board PVC fencing and 4' high of wire woven fencing attached to the back part of the PVC fencing to keep animals out and foals in.

Pastures have 6 strand high tension wire with the lowest wire and evey other wire up being hot. (only in spring, summer and fall).

Knock on wood, no aniimal or human problems. But then horses are all behind the barn and house so no one can tell what I have.

The more I read about everyone elses problems, the more I think I will stay here!

Thanks for the advice everybody! We do have a radio going at the sheep farm down the road to discourage coyotes, but we have a neighbor across the road from the horse farm that might not appreciate it. We arleady have a lot of security lights for the business, so we're covered there too. I had no trespassing signs on all three barns, but I guess I'll start putting them on the perimeter fences too. Shari your post cracked me up. If I stop showering and brushing my hair I bet that would discourage a lot of people.
default_laugh.png
I guess I'll try signs and such first, continue routine night checks with Mo, and see how that goes. Some truly scary stuff happened last year, and I'd like to think it's over, but if it's not I guess I'll have to consider some of the weapon suggestions.

For your circumstances, it sounds like keeping mace or pepper spray on you at all times while at the farm may be the best bet, that and of course a cell phone.

Here we have basically no crime, but where we used to live was much more suburban and I've retained the caution that I had there (and instilled in my daughters). When I'm home my doors are locked. I have (very) big dogs both inside and out. Always carry a cell phone, and there are various weapons here and there about the property that I could use if necessary. If someone came at me threateningly, they would have to deal with several dogs as well as myself. *grin*

Oh and Charlene-- you may be surprised what your Dane would do to protect you if it became necessary. My Dane is also a big teddy bear, but she has shown that she is also willing to protect me if she feels she needs to. A dog that can growl into one's face while the dog is still on all fours is quite intimidating, and if she decides to take a person down, well, they're down.
default_smile.png

Same thing with people with little dogs they can be protective too. I have a Shar Pei. I have NO hesitation that if someone got near me she wouldn't bite them. It's mainly my upstairs I worry about and unlocked doors, eehhh gads that scares me, and doors like I said with windows in them. OR if the dogs are upstairs and someone comes through the doggy door..... I KNOW I'm being neurotic!!!!!! I worry about house fires too, just another one of my other WORRY'S!!!!!! TJ

Ive had fears my self to, then again, im sorta naturally jumpy , but it really dosent ease my fears going out to my barn in he morning and at night, when its still black outside, with no lights back by the barn and it being back by the woods with a dangerous rapeist on the loose
default_wacko.png
so were puttting up a big spot light, I think I need a large dog to take with me as well as a base ball bat or a golf club, as well as a knife, perhaps a hockey stick to take em out at the knees...

I would suggest a gun, compressed air, pepper spray, golf clubs, a dog, knife, baseball bat, large branch, mega phone (scream as loud as you can should you need help) or just take all with you, whoever would mess with you would be on the ground in a half a second with you on the phone with the police... oh and forgot elctric cattle prods (high velocity) and tazers
default_yes.gif

The post about LITTLE dogs reminded me of some things I've read in the past..........

There are many reports and admissions done by Burglars that say that they are much more intimidated by LITTLE dogs than the big breed dogs!

I thought that was interesting........

This is coming from your 60's hippy that always hated weapons and wanted peace.
My apologys to John Lennon but John, things changed.

I'll just knock the crap out of anyone that ever hurts us again.

I now have a switch blade and so help me if anyone ever .........I'll gut them like a fish and never think twice about it.

(I've always wanted to say that). Oh my goodness.
default_new_shocked.gif
WOW...Marty, I wanna be YOU!
default_blush.png

What a sad world we live in where you even have to think of stuff like this!

I am very very lucky to live in a country where concerns like you guys have mentioned don't threaten our safety. I feel very safe in my property. We aren't even allowed to own guns here!

Stay safe.

xox Leonie xox

Back