How do you protect yourself?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockRiverTiff

Reaction score
Another day, another discouraging conversation. Since revamping security measures last summer we haven't had anymore major incidents. But with our extremely humid, extremely cold winter I have been forced to leave some of the padlocks off (they freeze shut), and twice now there's been evidence that people have been trespassing again. I have no idea if it's my cousin showing his kids the horses when they're in town, if it's the farm guys moving stuff around without telling me, or if it's our old friends the thieves and weirdos. I've never felt unsafe out at the farm, but friends and family have expressed concern about me being out there alone after dark. For the timebeing, I've been carrying a hay hook around (I really hope none of my loved ones "surprise" me at the wrong time), but Mo thinks I should have something more practical and more long range (I'm not exactly a track star).

Because I don't live at the farm and my home in town is not equipped for a large dog, a guard animal is at this time out of the question. We've discussed everything from a baton to a taser to an air gun, and some people have even suggested I get a real gun. Knowing my natural lack of agility, I'm more worried about smacking, shocking, or shooting myself. Do any of you guys carry protection when you're on your farms alone? What's worked (or not worked) for you?

When we moved to Roswell, NM, many years ago, I had trouble with a dog pack scaring the horses. They couldn't get in, but i worried about it. Also I was alone there for 6 months . I called the sheriff and asked what he could do, or what i could do. He said "Shoot them". WELL, I thought about it for several days. I then went to a reputable gun smith and bought myself a 22 hand gun. He taught me how to use it. I also bought a comfortable holster so i could carry the gun when i was outside.

The dog pack never showed up again, I think somebody else shot them. But, I felt much better having that protection.

I guess tasers are good too, but I don't want anyone or anything getting that close to me. I am no athlete. Just the fact that you are carrying a gun will deter most would be thieves .

Good luck, Jeannie

For unwanted animals keep a "HORN IN A CAN" the kind they use on a boat...the noise freaks out strays and I keep one at the barn and one at the house. And for the human kind that are real strange I keep a 357

We had an episode twice of someone stopping in front of our house taking pictures..... in the dark!!!! My horses can't be seen from the road, especially at night. So now I have 2 friends with me all the time.... Smith & Wesson.

Well, you nixed what I do right off the bat........

When I'm alone and there's something amiss, I have four large breed dogs with me who start barking like crazy. Before I go out, I let them out FIRST.

There have been occasions where I've wondered if people weren't "casing" the place. But I always allow the dogs to do their jobs and let everyone know they are there........So far, so good. (Knock on wood.)

It's too bad you couldn't keep a dog at your farm.

Ferocious looking/acting dogs--I put a lot of stock in a couple of those! Then there is always a pitchfork or a baseball bat. Guns are good, but here with such close neighbors all around, if I missed the thug I would be likely to put the bullet through a neighbor's wall....or through the neighbor
default_new_shocked.gif
Not a good thing.

When my hubby was on the road and I was alone all the time it would get real scary around here at times.

Since I am a hunter I have pistols, rifles, bows, cross bows and a baton. I am well versed in all my arms and am not afraid to use them.

I have been trained since I was young with weapons. Just use common sense when armed ~S~

I'd recommend a gun class to get comfortable with a gun and a license to carry while you can still get one.

I agree with the others, but you shouldn't need a concealed carry license to carry on your own property. I have a 38 and every other bullet is a hollow point. It has been in the gun safe for many years since I am rarely home alone, and we have six house dogs and one Anatolian outside. Were I to feel unsafe I would get the gun out. I do recommend taking lessons, and a concealed carry class is ideal since you learn safety and shooting.

People would be crazy to come on our property, we are surrounded by shooters who in the past have armed themselves and called to offer assistance. One is a gunsmith and he always has a lot of firepower at hand.

Can you have a farm dog that stays at the farm?? I know several people that have a dog or 2 that they leave at the farm. Especially if you are there every day!! Plus if crooks know there is a large dog most will avoid the place!!
default_smile.png

my great dane girl is VERY intimidating looking even though she's a big teddy bear. the few times i've had uninvited visitors, she along with the two corgis, go out to greet them. each time, the visitors refused to get out of their vehicles until i leashed the big dog or called her off.

i am very isolated, the private lane ends at my house so if i see an unfamiliar vehicle drive up, it's either somebody i didn't know was coming or it's somebody who is hopelessly lost. i only recently installed a security light between the barn and the house. it lights up the whole dang area out there and i do not like it one bit but it was a necessity.

i have had two men who are acquaintances come to my house over the past few weeks, uninvited and looking for, shall we say, something they will never get.
default_rolleyes.gif
they both came at separate times, of course, well after dark. both times, i met them at their vehicles and both times i told them that they were barking up the wrong tree and that they should use extreme caution because the big dog bites and she bites hard. i think God will forgive that little white lie.
default_wink.png
haven't seen them since, doubt i will, hope i don't!!!

gary's brothers have tried to talk me into getting a gun for protection "just in case" but i'd probably shoot my eye out!
default_new_shocked.gif

First the dogs. The horses are currently on the same property as the family business and we have drivers coming and going 24/7. We also lease the back 80 acres, so the cattle guys come and go too. So I can't restrict access to the property. Any dogs living there would have to be friendly to a wide variety of people anyway which would pretty much defeat the purpose of leaving them to guard overnight. My grandmother still lives down the road, and she used to have a Chow/Shepherd mix that would run through the pastures to be with me at the farm. I can't say how much I miss that dog, but I also think it was a pretty unique situation (in that she didn't go anywhere else).

As for a gun... That's what my dad and Mo have been pushing. I come from a family of hunters, so I've known how to handle and use a shotgun since I was a kid. Not the handiest weapon though. A concealed weapon course sounds like a good idea--whether I get a gun now or not, I will most likely want one when I make the move to the country. What's the best gun for a clutz that doesn't want to shoot themself? Does anyone just carry a pellet gun?

When I'm alone and there's something amiss, I have four large breed dogs with me who start barking like crazy. Before I go out, I let them out FIRST.

There have been occasions where I've wondered if people weren't "casing" the place. But I always allow the dogs to do their jobs and let everyone know they are there........So far, so good. (Knock on wood.)

I do the same thing as MA...I let the "hounds" loose first. Lakota being a Cane Corso (of Mastiff breed) has protection/guard bred in her. Add in Obedience classes and raised on a farm and she's the complete package. (Take a peek at my website and go to Lakota's pages if you'd like to see her.) Is there a possibility that you can have a few things work for you....maybe a large breed dog to take with you to your property not necessarily leave him or her there....and some kind of weapon as well?

I do the same thing as MA...I let the "hounds" loose first. Lakota being a Cane Corso (of Mastiff breed) has protection/guard bred in her. Add in Obedience classes and raised on a farm and she's the complete package. (Take a peek at my website and go to Lakota's pages if you'd like to see her.) Is there a possibility that you can have a few things work for you....maybe a large breed dog to take with you to your property not necessarily leave him or her there....and some kind of weapon as well?
Well around here we have never had that kind of a problem in fact most people around here dont even lock their houses and leave their vehicles running and unlocked when they go into town but since I am from the Cedar Rapids area I have been more cautious than most of the people around here. I still don't have any sort of protection, my bf keeps a shotgun in the front room that he said I can use if a dog or something is after my horses but I hope I will never have to use it. I also have a corgi but she is more for the warning of something out there I doubt she could do much and she is kind of a chicken
default_smile.png
. Guns are good if you are comfortable with them but if you are nervous then you would be better off with a dog or taser or something not as deadly. Nervousness causes a lot of accidents.

Is something I have been thinking about...for when DS desides he has had enough with living at home. Is sad we have to even worry about these things.

First and foremost... make sure you have No tresspassing signs along your fence line.

I am not really a dog person...so if I got a large one,, would have to be able to stay outside and not too barky because my hearing can't handle loud noises without pain. Unless it is a smaller dog, then it could be in the house.

We have a number of firearms from a 22 to a 30-30 but all are too heavy for me to lug around at this point. But I have when needed.

We do have a poaching issue. Last time they made a kill on my place... they didn't get their deer. We got it...and gave it to the State Troppers and Fish and Game.

Cabela's has some nice infrared cameras....something will be putting up this summer.

You have all seen me in the photos with my ugly camy jacket and nasty brown hat. I find how you dress...can keep people away. Be known as the crazy lady at the top of the hill.. most folks would leave you alone. If you also learn how to handle and carry a rifle, highly recommend you take lessons if you have never handled one.... have one of those strapped to your back at times. You will find the people that never wave at you... now will. Why..because you can't shoot them when waving back.....so they think.
default_laugh.png

My DH also target practices on the place,, this will also get out in the nieghbor hood. People will be less likely to cross your property..."just because" if they are not sure when you will be shooting.

I no longer breed and personally don't want strangers on my place... so some of these things might be a bit anti social for you.

if you don't like the idea of having a gun or taser you could get some pepper spray or something like it. you should also have a cell phone on you at all times.

If you get a gun, a revolver is a good choice. Semi autos, such as the 9mm, can jam if you try to cock them in a hurry. A revolver is simple and straightforward. I have a S&W .38 with the red dot sight. I think if an intruder saw that red dot on him, he would hightail it away--unless he was crazy. In that case...

Have you thought of putting a radio in your barns? Maybe on a timer so it comes on at different times? Motion sensor lights? We have a sign on our gate that reads "Is there life after death? Trespass here and find out". It is amazing the number of people that are freaked by such a simple thing as a sign!

Another good sign that we used in the past, was "This property infested with (we used the Latin names for mosquitos and flies). Enter at your own risk!" THAT sign worked great, too.

One night I was home alone. It was summer and the doors were open. I heard something trying to get into the bedroom screen door. Heart pounding, I went to see what it was. It was an opposum.

Sounds like you need a Min Pin. Stewie(our Min Pin)has the sound of a real Doberman, yet weighs 3 pounds. He is loud. Another thing at our farm is motion lights. If anyone or anything comes anywhere near the entire place lights up like a football field on a Friday night. I do have my Red Rider BB gun for looks. I am not responsible enough for anything more...

My husband said our friend is a Colt and he's 45. Plus we have 3 dogs. My worry is we have 2 doors that have WINDOWS on them. ONE is in the basement. Scares me to death. Of course, they could break a window and get in. I'm "neurotic" about locking doors even when I'm home, I drive my husband nuts cause he doesn't. But, I'm a cops daughter and I was taught to keep your doors locked, so that's what I do, just incase you get a stranger walking through the yard and he/she decides to come into your house uninvited. TJ

This is coming from your 60's hippy that always hated weapons and wanted peace.

My apologys to John Lennon but John, things changed.

I'll just knock the crap out of anyone that ever hurts us again.

I now have a switch blade and so help me if anyone ever .........I'll gut them like a fish and never think twice about it.

(I've always wanted to say that). Oh my goodness.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back