Hoof deformaties:

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WJS

Reaction score
I have had this looked at by three vets and numerous farriers, I was wondering if any one had any thoughts on it.

Problem is in both hind hooves.

thank you

IMG-20131008-00159.jpg

How old is the horse?

If the horse is older, any correction could cause joint issues down the road. If the horse is younger there are a few possible things you can do that may help.

Reactions: WJS
It also depends upon if the joints have fused yet.

Can you post a photo of the whole horse both from the side and backend with the tail held out of the way?

I showed the photo to my dil, who is a certified barefoot trimmer with over 10 years experience. Here is her reply:

It's a deformity in the limb or pastern that is causing the pastern to turn outward, rather than be straight, and in turn is causing the hoof to load too much on the outside. Hoof capsule is therefore "twisted."

I didn't ask if this is causing the horse to be in constant pain...

I agree with Marsha... It looks like the deformity is at least in the fetlock and the hoof is growing odd because of the weird pressure/strain caused by the leg deformity. It does not look like the hooves are at fault or even in need of correction.

Hello and thank you for taking the time to respond.

this is a three year old filly which came to me at 10 months old. the problem has got worse the older she has become.

the joint has not ringed and in fact seems very loose, the out side wall want to grow under the sole. I will take photos tomorrow after work.

the fronts are very good.

the farrier comes every 3-4 weeks and files internal front.

Feed; now don't laugh: 250grmas of chaff, 250 grams of Alfalfa, 250grms of youngstock mix, 5 mls of oil, multi vitamins, carrots and or apples. Winter small scoop of sugar beet. Twice a day. Pasture 8 hours a day. and a small handful of hay each evening.

Can you take a couple more pictures? From down closer to his level, so the shot is looking more straight on instead of down at his hooves (lower legs). Side shot and perhaps from the rear.

these were taken last year.

IMG_0079.JPG

IMG-20131008-00160.jpg

IMG-20131008-00165.jpg

You don't see it so much in the side shot, but the front and rear shots it looks like something is going on in his fetlock joint or pastern. The left seems to be worse than the right.

Here is my thoughts on what I am seeing. I am seeing a horse that toed out initially and has been getting trimmed to "fix" it. At this point it is probably what it is, good/bad. You now have a horse with straight legs and crooked feet.

I would agree with BSharpRanch. Looks to me as if someone started trying to 'correct' by hoof trimming after the 'toeing out' was already established...that is, once the filly was past baby foalhood...and by then it's not really possible to 'change' the condition, and you end up by 'turning' the horse's hoof. I had a little gelding I got when he was about 11-12 yrs. old?; his left hind was like this. I trimmed him to a 'happy medium' each time; didn't try to 'correct' to a straight-ahead position of the hoof, but did trim to alleviate the excessive-on-one-side wall growth and poor wall angle that would have gotten increasingly worse if not attended to at every trim.

We can guess all day long but the answer will lie in an X ray. I'd love to know what that would show.

I was hoping someone would suggest an xray. Im thinking it starts in the joint but I would like to see what the film reveals.

To me it looks like epiphisitis affecting the fetlock joints...

Yes, this is ALL only our individual opinions at this point, and Marty makes a good point re: an X-ray. Minimor...with all due respect--isn't it a bit overreaching to state unequivocally what this is NOT, based on your experience with a couple of other horses; even though you may be in your own mind 'certain about THOSE horses, that doesn't mean that something else might not be responsible for the phenomenon in this horse.

sole pics.. but not really useful.

IMG-20140407-00287.jpg

IMG-20140407-00288.jpg

Sorry, did not mean to post something in contradiction to someone else's opinion...forget I said anything. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back