hoof cleaning

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m-mini

Reaction score
As many of you know we just got our first mini. When we got him he would let me clean his hooves. Now He wont let me even lift his legs. I have him tied up.

When can I do??

Last edited by a moderator:
Two things come to mind, first, make sure there is no limp, catch,stagger or anything obvious to his gait. If all appears to be okay, I would lean towards the fact that he is being a horse and may be pushing his limits (if he is a gelding or a stallion may make a difference also). Remember, no matter how small, cute and fluffy he is, make sure you are firm with him and treat him like a horse. Patient,firm and consistant, did I mention patient?

Is it possible that you might have been raising the leg too high and made it painful or unsteady? My farrier has sat on the ground to do some of mine, but still has to be very careful when lifting the hoof to make sure she doesn't get them unbalanced or uncomfortable. Even my quietest will start to fuss when she lifts too high.

Just a suggestion. I am thrilled that you are asking great questions!!!

He is a stallion, he is getting gelded next month. He has been feeling his oats last 2 days, since he settled in. lol

I will try to lift his foot only enoough to get the job done. I might have been lifting to far. I will give him a break tomorrow and try it again.

Should they be cleaned every day? he is not in mud. He beds in straw.

Yep they can change their minds sometimes. And with your boy being young and you have no experience, a trainer is in order. I think its time when you contact someone reputable in miniature horses that can come and give you hands on lessons in ground school. This is very important not only for each member of your family to handle this horse in the same way, be on the same page, but also for the safety of all, including your horse. I think there may be a forum member here that is not too far from you who may be able to help or hook you up. Lessons are fun and there is so much to learn. Best wishes.

email [email protected]. This is a trainer in Brookville, Ohio ( North West of Dayton). She gives lessons of all kinds, and you could come to her or she might be able to come to you.

Good suggestions so far. Also, it may be easier if you had an adult hold him instead of tying him, that way he can be corrected almost as he is thinking about misbehaving or praised for being good just as quickly. Also serves as somewhat of a distraction as to what you are doing with his feet
default_wink.png

Good suggestions so far. Also, it may be easier if you had an adult hold him instead of tying him, that way he can be corrected almost as he is thinking about misbehaving or praised for being good just as quickly. Also serves as somewhat of a distraction as to what you are doing with his feet
wink.gif

That is true since you said it. he did do better when my wife was talking to him.

I have to agree that having someone who knows the ropes show you how to do various things goes a long way in helping you learn how to do it. Would it be possible for the person you bought him from to come over and go over a few things with you?

I'm completely new to horses myself and it was quite eye opening how much we didn't know, despite having been a horse lover since childhood, having read everything ever written about horses
laugh.gif

Good luck!!

Many things are not going to be "mini specific" so if you can't find another person around you with minis ask around at local boarding/riding stables to see if they offer (or are willing to offer) a few "horsemanship" lessons to you and your family. Picking hooves, grooming, haltering, leading, safely tieing etc are all things that function pretty much the same for all horses- you just may need smaller tools and have to get down a little lower LOL They should be able to help with things like how and how often to deworm, vaccinate, book farrier apointments, buy good local horse hay, etc as well.

Latest posts

Back