Help with an easy keeper

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ljc

Reaction score
I have two two-year old minis (in addition to my big horses). Have had them for more than a year. They live together 24 hours/day in a large dry-lot field with a stall. I turn them out in the big horse field for a couple of hours a day, as well (when the big boys come in). The big horse field is grassless and weedless right now (summer in So. CA). I give them the occasional treat of turning them out into a grass paddock maybe twice a week for an hour or so. I take them jogging (great fun) a couple of times each week and longe them twice a week. They play very hard together, as well, with lots of running around. One mini is in great shape (he's 32 inches tall, weighs around 180); the other is Mr. Chubbo, no matter what I do! He's 37 inches tall, weighs close to 250 and all of it is in his belly!

For breakfast and dinner they get a total of 3 pounds of hay (split between the two of them), that is 95 percent grass and 5 percent alfalfa. I tried stopping the alfalfa completely but it made no difference (plus I worried about them not getting enough protein). I tried reducing the total weight of hay for a few months and it made no difference. For lunch they get a handful of grass hay.

So they don't feel left out when the big horses get their supplements, they each get 1/2 cup of TC Lite and platinum performance. I also throw in less than a handful of soaked BP (w/out molasses), just so they have "more" to eat. I know BP is fattening but would less than a handful really matter? I worry about sand colic and had read that BP was good for that. Can't get them to touch psyllium.

Any ideas of what else I could try? Can't really up Mr. Chubbs' exercise; he's still too young to do more than 10 minutes on the longe line and I can't jog any further or I'll drop dead! Thanks for any ideas.

250 lbs for a 37" mini is by no means obese. My 34" gelding weighs a little more than that, and is by no means obese. If all his weight is in his belly, he probably has worms. Pictures would help.

You could also try soaking the hay to get rid of extra sugars. It really does work.

I have all my horses on a pretty rigorous worming program, which is not to say Ollie might not still have worms. Earlier this year I did a Power Pac on one of my big horses when he was having some manure issues; is it ok to Power Pac a mini? And if so, what do you do, just give 1/4 of each tube for the five days?

Yep, you can do the Power Pac with minis - just weight dose it for their size. Sounds like you are on top of things, but sometimes it makes a difference.

You might try longeing him over ground or slightly elevated poles to make him use those muscles more effectively, or in deep sand. I know you don't want to overdo it with a two yr old, but working over low poles shouldn't be an issue. I work my yearlings over them - up to maybe 6" max off the ground.

It is just really a challenge with some of these little guys to get the weight off, or at least shifted around where it needs to be lol..

Jan

250 lbs for a 37" mini is by no means obese. My 34" gelding weighs a little more than that, and is by no means obese. If all his weight is in his belly, he probably has worms. Pictures would help.
I was thinking the same thing. My 36-38" minis weigh around 325-350#, the chubby one weighs a little more (we now have a scale, but it needs to be moved to level ground and calibrated, before use).

3# of hay isn't nearly enough hay for either one of them, let alone both together. They each need at least 1% of their bodyweight daily just for gut health (so that would be minimum 4.3# for both, if you've calculated their weight correctly, if the bigger one is closer to 300, then add an additional 1/2# minimum); 1.5-2% for total daily feed (hay and "grain) intake (6.50 - 8.6# for both). Personally, I'd probably drop the Platnum performance (higher sugars and calories) and just feed the recommended amount of the TC lite for their weights (I'm thinking it comes to about 1 cup, but I'm not sure, as I don't feed TC products).

Sorry but that is not a fat horse.

There may be some other problem, if you are sure he has not got worms?

My 36" mare weighs just over 500 lbs (Yes, weighed the other day) and she is not fat...well, maybe a tiny bit fat
default_wink.png
but not very fat!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen many Minis with grass belly, from not getting enough protein. Try feeding half grass, half alfalfa and see if that doesnt help distribute the weight to the right areas more. Give it about 30 days and see if you see a change/improvement.

Latest posts

Back