Help please Registration colors

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandra dittus

Reaction score
Both of these fillies are sired by a blue-roan appaloosa .

This is Angel Fire she was born red and when I clipped her this is what I found. Would she be considered a red roan, gray roan or a rose gray roan? She has no molting but does have the white sclera of the eyes but no spots as of yet. Do I register her Appaloosa or not? Also her mane is turning brown, her face still has some red on it but is turning brown too.

AaSMALLER.jpg

This is Sweet Callie I know her color is blue roan. She also has the white sclera of the eye, no molting and no spots yet. Same question should I register her Appaloosa or not?

DSMALLER.jpg

Both of these girls are sold so I may not know if they do spot out and I would like the registration to be right. I have had the sire for four years and he is still getting more spots each year, as I bought him he had no molting on his face and around his eyes but now he does.

Thanks,

Sandy

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have photos of sire and dams?

Oh and it's called mottling not molting.
default_smile.png

I think at least one of them appears to have some silver going on (the first one) and the second one MAY be a bay roan...? Hard to tell w/the dark lighting.

I myself would love to see pics of sire and dams to help determine what is genetically there vs. not there.

Liz M.

As far as I can tell, your first one I would call a "sorrel roan" or red roan (not sure what the registries list them as?). What color is her dam?

When I have foals that haven't yet spotted out, I just list whatever characteristics that they currently have, whether it be mottling, sclera, striped hooves, or all three. Then if they do spot out, by the time their papers need to go permanent, their markings can be updated.
default_smile.png

This is the sire to both.

Appy2.jpg

Angel Fire and Dam

FCbaby2.jpg

Sweet Callie and Dam

day1.jpg

Thanks for the help.

Without an appaloosa parent you can´t get appaloosa, and I don´t see appaloosa.
default_wink.png
:

Red-roan and blue-roan pinto are their colors.

Linda I can see white spots on the Stallions rump- Appy characteristics at least, I think??

I see no Appy in either filly, since the sire really is Black Roan I would call the first filly Red Roan and the second Black Roan.

You can always put the rider on "may turn Appy" and leave it at that.

I do not think they will, but am happy to be proven wrong.

I think I see a light blanket of white spots on the stallion's rump.

But the fillies are both roans. If there is no mottling or other spotting, then I just see roan.

I'd call the first filly a chestnut roan and the second a blue roan pinto.

The chestnut roan filly may also be a genetic pinto, even though she doesn't have pinto markings on her body.....she has those cute little socks!

Latest posts

Back