Have you ever gotten inspired by the DIY shows!?!?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacks'thunder

Reaction score
I did with my bathroom some what! I tore out some tile that was broken, ripped out the old 60's medicine cabinet and lights and tore out my sink! Bought a new sink, and faucet and replaced the old tile with something new that kinda matched! LOL! Unfortunately they done make 1960's sea foam green any more
default_wink.png
so I added some cool earthy tones in the tile and painted all the trim a Java color. LOVE IT!!! added a new mirror and light fixture! It made such a difference in that poor little room. I would really like to replace the tub but that will have to wait. I did take the old ugly shower doors off and put up a shower curtain instead. I hated trying to clean the tracks!! What a pain! It looks soo much better but the tub needs to be painted for now. Any body ever do this? What kind of paint did you use? I think they make a tub/tile paint but did it work good for you? What about some type of like a marine paint? or water tank paint? Just wondering
default_biggrin.png
my goal is to make a nice thick hard coating.

My next project is.... Kitchen!!! I'd love to get new cabinets but thats way out of my budget!( I always look on craigs list for nice one for cheep) Has any one ever painted their old cabinets? Did it work out good? And look nice? What kind of paint did you use? I think for now I'll have to try and use my counter top. Yep it green too!
default_laugh.png
I know it will be a BIG project but I'd like to get my ducks in a row and do this this spring. I like to tile the back splash but I'm not sure where to start. It looks like half way up it's formika(sp?) and I see no screws so it must be glued to the wall! I'm not sure what kind of bees nest thats going to be! LOL!

Any advice for the Do It Your Selfer???

On a side note I must tell you at least 5 rooms in our house had green in them! Carpet(70's shag thats sooo gone!), paint, floors, bath tile, and trim! We have edged alot of it out but there is still some that I just can't figure out how to get rid of yet!
default_rolleyes.gif
They LOVED green!! LOL!

Last edited by a moderator:
I love having projects to do. I'v only taken on small home projects with previous homes and our house now is new so I just painted. my favorate is outdoor stuff. I love to make garden ponds and did equal part of our barn construction. I used all most all used material.Someone on here posted pics of their home renovation and it was great,can't remember who it was.Maybe they will come forward
default_wink.png
.Good luck and have fun,it's always nice to see the end result of all the hard work
default_aktion033.gif

When it comes to anything artistic, crafty, etc., I have NO talent. I can't do anything of the kind BUT when I do watch those shows, I'm always pausing it and getting H and saying "see, I think you could do THIS!"
default_biggrin.png
So, I feel inspired, but know I lack the ability
default_no.gif
I love seeing how the projects on these shows were at first, and how they look after the people are done
default_yes.gif

I watch those shows all the time much to Terry's dismay. I am big into sweat equity around the place and also shop at home. Shopping at home is a concept I got from a friend and it is amazing how much money you save. If you want to do a project, look around and you will probably find things you can use.

I just redid the floor in my dining room. It was the 80's oak parquet with a dark walnut looking stain in bad shape. I have beautiful golden pine ceilings and the floor didn't match and always looked grungy. I rented a sander for $40 dollars and it took 3 hours to sand it all down. I then stained it a golden pine color and put on the first coat of polyurethane in 1 day. Put the second coat on the next morning and that was it. Total cost $100 and it looks fantastic.

When I bought this place it was a house on bare land and I put in all the barns, arena, pasture, everything. I had to put water and electricity around the place and had a friend who worked as a plumber. He got everything I needed wholesale and I bought enough to put sprinklers and water lines in pastures and barns. Rented a ditch witch and dug all the trenches in about 4 hours. A friend of mine's son and I did all the waterlines and sprinklers and stored the rest of the pipe under the deck. A year ago finally got sprinkler lines in the yard and this year will landscape. Going on a rock run to get rock for raised flowerbeds.

A neighbor put vinyl fencing in his yard and I bought the rest for $100. Watched Craigslist and a company that installs fencing has left overs cheap and found matching fencing so now have vinyl around the yard so those stinking minis can't get on the yard, the cost about $225. We have built big lattice arbors going into front and back yard and it looks great. I have an old stack of bricks that has been sitting around for years and I will make a walkway through the arbors with it(shop at home).

Big do-it-yourselfer here.

I love to do home projects. I ripped out a tile counter top and replaced it with copper. I then had to pore thin layers of poly over the copper ...............it was time consuming but I love the new counter. If you look around we have a place around here that takes down old homes and buildings. They have some great things that can be recycled. Old tin ceilings make pretty back splashes. My neighbor bought some granite tiles at closeout and did his counter top. It came out great.

Putting fabric on the walls instead of wallpaper was fun and very easy to take off when I was sick of it.

Latest posts

Back