Has anyone gotten lab results back from Shelterwood?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willow Tree Miniatures

Reaction score
JUST CURIOUS SINCE THE LAST POSTINGS OF EVERYONE GETTING EXCITED ABOUT SENDING IN SAMPLES TO SHELTERWOOD LABS IF ANYONE HAD GOTTEN THIER TEST RESULTS BACK?

default_impatient.jpg

THANKS!

Not yet here. I'm VERY anxious, but wouldn't describe myself as ticked off as I knew going into this that the results would not be as quick as they are from Animal Genetics. I'm hoping they will come this week.

I don't know how long you have been wiating -- But I got results from them regarding LWO and it was only about 3 weeks coming. Does it not say -- that you can also phone to verify or ask results??

Mine was a couple of years ago -- but it was much faster than UC Davis in California --I was quite pleased.

I sent in two samples 2 weeks ago. They had said if samples were in by that Monday(when they were starting a new batch) the results would be available that Friday. Priority mailed mine and they confirmed they recieved them on time. Called Friday, Nope they were done but weren't posted yet,try Monday. No e-mail results Monday.Tuesday or Wednesday. Called on Wednesday and was told there were so many requests they had to run two batches,still in the oven, and results would be available this Monday, July 6th. Two weeks wouldn't be bad just disapointed they weren't available as stated and got conflicting stories from same person. Hopefully I'll get them tomorrow. If you want e-mail results you must add your e-mail address as there is no blank for it on the form.

Seems that maybe they had a bunch submitted since some of us just got the word about their testing....I will be anxious to hear from those of you who have already sent samples in.

I have quite a few I will send in.

Keep us posted.

I was just researching and found this lawsuit against Shetlerwood filed by Texas A&M University. Pretty interesting reading and shows how they do it so cheap

lawsuit

I was just researching and found this lawsuit against Shetlerwood filed by Texas A&M University. Pretty interesting reading and shows how they do it so cheap
The lawsuit was actually filed by Optigen, LLC against Texas A & M, Shelterwood Labs and others. Interesting reading.

oops my mistake. Lack of sleep lol. Yeah if they are not paying for the patents etc that has to be why they can under price it?

I just called there! they have some results, but have to re-run the Cream/Agouti tests! I'm just going to send that into Animal genetics. God only knows when Shelterwood will have those tests done. I'll have them back from AG long before Shelterwood!

You know what they say? If it sounds too good to be true! It is!!

I spoke to them and they said that the reason they are able to price the testing at what they do is because they wait until they have a large selection of samples and run them at the same time. Saves time from switching back and forth between each.

They dont promise quick results. And as such they offer it cheaper. For those that it doesnt matter its probably just fine. Those that need to know immediately need to use a different place such as Animal Genetics or UC Davis.

Though I have had friends use UC Davis and had it take a long long time to get results from them as well.

End level farms, there are tons of us that have called for results. THEY are the ones that are telling us on a Friday, "The tests are all done, but won't be posted until Monday when you can get your results. Call that day and they will tell you, oh, we had to run two batches, so they are not done and will be a few more days. Call then, and they tell you some other story. We understand if it's going to take longer, but DON'T tell us they are all done and we can get the resultsl the next day!! Now they have to re-run the Cream and Agouti test as they screwed it up or something!

Animal Genetics takes 3 days, ask anybody that has used them. Thats were my Cream test is going now!

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand that frustration.

I was just making a statement about how I was told they are able to do it so cheaply.

I love animal genetics and thats who I use.

Ooops! Just figured out I don't have to worry about any more tests as she tested EE, so she is Silver Black!! Yippee!!!

I will also only use Animal Genetics from now on!

Last edited by a moderator:
Im curious how much cheaper is Shelterwood? Ive only used animal gentics.

Animal Genetics takes 3 days, ask anybody that has used them. Thats were my Cream test is going now!
I have used Animal Genetics, many times, and have always been happy with them, but NEVER got the results back in 3 days. Usually a week. I AM NOT COMPLAINING, THEY PROVIDE A GOOD AND FAST SERVICE.

However, I don't feel it is time yet to start badmouthing Shelterwood. I am the one who first posted their link on here and told of their service. I stated to begin with that they had a reputation for being slow, but if you were willing to wait, you could get a full line of tests done for less than two tests from most other labs. I sent in samples from three horses. I have not got my results back yet, and I have not called bugging them every day about them (there seem to be plenty of others doing that). They will come when they come.

If you are in a rush to get results, don't use Shelterwood. But, you were told that to begin with. If you had rather use Animal Genetics, by all means, do so. I plan to use them in the future when I am in a hurry for results, or when I only need one test. BUT, your constant complaining and badmouthing is getting annoying.

If I find out in the future that Shelterwood has acted illegally or unethically, I will come here on this board and apologize for encouraging anyone to send samples to them for tests. But, I'm not close to that decision yet.

Latest posts

Back