Hardshipping question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horsehug

Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been answered on here at some point. If it was I missed it.

I know the rules for hardshipping through 2013 allow a horse to now be hardshipped in at age 3.

But does the actual physical age have to be 3, or can a horse that turns 3 sometime in 2011 be hardshipped in ANYtime now this year based on the January 1 general horse birthday?

Thanks!

Susan O.

I believe it's the actual third birthday, not January 1st. (if this is AMHR)

Andrea

Thanks Andrea,

Sorry I forgot to say I was talking about hardshipping into AMHA.

Susan O.

Susan, odd, I was just thinking about contacting you for hardshipping my two girls. AMHA told me that they have to have reached their actual birth date of 3 years. I was wondering if the cut off in 2013 is in January or through the year to December? I realized recently that there are two Directors in Idaho not far from me (at least for this area) that I could contact for inspection when I have enough funds to complete the hardship into AMHA.

Last edited by a moderator:
While I know its suppose to be the actual third birthday (or fifth as it use to), I have seen several horses that are AMHR registered with a known foaling date, hardshipped into AMHA with Jan 1 being the foaling date causing them to be hardshipped before they are actually the correct age. So I really don't think it matters when you hardship because who will know when the foaling date is except you. As for the time line, you have until Dec 31, 2013 to hardship into AMHA.

I must just add to this post ,

I have a mare that i was told i could hardship..i bought her thinking i could, she has an american / falabella pedigree and i have now been told the Euorepean hardshipping was stopped in 2007!!!!! not what i was told by the AMHA 2 years ago..

.It really pees me off because she is a great mare but i would maybe not have bought her had i known..and if thats the case Why do i still pay full membership but not have full access to the AMHA facilities........?????

Thanks for all your answers.

I didn't know there were directors as close to me as Idaho. Though if it is far West or North it is still pretty far away from me.

Becky, when I went to the AMHA site and looked up the regional directors I find the two in the ID, WA, OR, and MT region are both from Oregon. So I am not sure which ones you are talking about in Idaho.

I am in the region with WY, NE, ND, SD, MN and IA. Mine are hundreds of miles away in Minnesota and South Dakota.

Now that they have made it a rule to have only CURRENT directors it makes it far harder to get it done.

Susan O.

Sorry if this has already been answered on here at some point. If it was I missed it.

I know the rules for hardshipping through 2013 allow a horse to now be hardshipped in at age 3.

But does the actual physical age have to be 3, or can a horse that turns 3 sometime in 2011 be hardshipped in ANYtime now this year based on the January 1 general horse birthday?

Thanks!

Susan O.
If you bought a grade horse, that is not already registered with another registry, there is no way of knowing the exact birth date.

Thanks Freeland,

But the one I am considering is AMHR registered and I know the birthday.

Susan O.

Sorry there, been very busy. New AMHA directors for Region 8 are Debbie Emery and Poly Hyde. Someone my husband works with commutes from that are of Idaho and knows Debbie Emery, so when I saw she was a new director of Region 8 I thought,"thank you Lord", someone within a reasonable distance from me." She also is affiliated with and Idaho miniature horse club and the Imhc-club.org. in Twin Falls, Idaho which is only 2 hours from here. It might also be closer to you Susan. Be nice if we had a way to have our horses inspected at the same time. Otherwise I was looking at the Western Championship Show in Reno this June.

When I spoke awhile back to a lady at AMHA about the hardship birthdate rules, she may have misunderstood what I was asking, because she clearly stated "actual date of the third birth date."

Last edited by a moderator:
I have two mares that I want to hardship as well (they are AMHR only at this time). Maybe we can all get together and get a director out at the same time and share the expenses? I'm in northern Utah just a couple of hours or so from Susan.

Dont give up Susan.... check for shows in your area or within driving range, and see if there will be any current directors there. Doesnt have to be just from your area, as long as they are current.

I have a mare too that was only R when I got her, but hardshipped her into A as well and am SO happy I did. I like all mine to be double registered if possible.

I am 5 hours due west from Susan, and 3.5 hours from Salt Lake Airport west, so that isn't such a big drive to us. That would be awesome to combine our common interests and be able to do this together. I haven't started the process yet, just waiting and saving. My two best girls are only AMHR, unfortunately.

Thanks Becky,

I am not getting the horse that would have been 3 in November now so the one I might hardship is a 4 year old.

I'll be checking around once I confirm if she is in foal or not for this year.

Good luck with getting yours done
default_smile.png

Susan O.

Thanks also Lori and Laurie.

Maybe we can work something out!
default_smile.png

Susan O.

Susan Debbie Emery is also a member of the Utah A club she attends a lot of the R shows in Utah as well

Latest posts

Back