Gelding the older Stallion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crossbuck Farms

Reaction score
We have decided to geld an older stallion. We are changing our breeding program and adding another stallion. How soon til they settle down? How soon can you put them with other geldings?

I got my 12 yrold gelding Jan.7th 2006 he was gelded in Dec 05.... I have had no problems putting him in with my 2yr.old Stallion and he does not have the Stallion attitude any more.. He has turned out to be a great gelding for my 10 yr.old daughter to handle and hopfully show at our Local Mini club shows...

What about putting a he w/ a she? How long-ish?
That's going to depend on the horse himself. I have a 18 yr old gelding that was gelded at age 7. He and my stud started fighting soon after I got my little filly (just under 1 yr old). So the two boys can't run together any more.

Just a week or so ago I found the filly's blanket ripped and laying in the field. Coupled with the reaction she had to the old gelding the next time they were face to face (she reared, walked on her back legs with the front ones pawing the air); I'd guess that they must have had a tussle in the field. So now I don't turn them out together either.

I could "let them work it out" but I don't want her learing any bad habits that I'll regret when I do want to breed her.

Hi,

We just gelded a 14year old stallion (he hadn't been bred in 5 years). Our vet told us to not put him out with the mares for at least 6 weeks after him being gelded or we could end up with an unexpected pragnancy. Like Sandee said, it will depend on the horse an how he will act around other horses. We have another gelding out with the mares, and him and the new gelding didn't get along as stallions, so we will see if they get a long without the hormones. But we have put other geldings out in the pasture with no problems.

Amanda

I gelded a breeding stallion at 9 years old and it took him 18 months before he fully realized he was a gelding. Before that he was seeking out the girls in heat and making a pest of himself. Afterwards I read in a book and I don't remember where, that if a stallion has been breeding, it will take him 2 months for every year he is old before he settles down and my Tiger played that rule to the "T." Good luck and I hope yours settles down sooner.

I now have 2 geldings in a lot with 8 mares and it's a peaceful group.

Joyce

I do not turn geldings out with mares- all my mares are breeding animals and I just do not believe this is good practise. If the animals were just pets then I might well do it, although I always separated the Arabs by sex, as well.

I have turned a gelding out with yearling and two year old fillies and he was quite a good baby sitter- made them mind their manners, too. As I will turn out my stallions and my geldings and colts all together in winter, that bit is not an issue.

This is the wrong time of year, though, to be introducing an animal with stallion instincts, even gelded, to other animals.

I have had him since he was a baby. He is kept with 42" pony gelding. I can keep him with other geldings in winter. He is well mannered. I am getting a new stallion and leasing one for breeding this year. Our new stallion won't be breeding for a while because he will only be yearling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on what you say and my experience, I would think after a couple months, he'd be fine w/ other geldings since he's already w/ a pony gelding and winters with geldings. I have gelded 2 "senior" stallions in the past, as 4yo and 5yo horses. It probably took 3 - 4 mos before they acted like total geldings.

I gelded my stallion when he was 14 years old in December of 2004. He had been a strong breeding stallion right up until the Summer before I gelded him. After about 2 months I turned him out with a yearling colt and he was fine with that...then a couple of months later I added a 2 year old colt...and that was fine too, even when the mares were next to their pasture. I have also been able to turn him out with the mares IF there are no stallions in sight. He had just recently been turned out with my mares and I brought a mature stallion onto the property...and he did start "herding" the mares again...although he was not trying to breed them at any time. So he's now back babysitting yearling colts...which he's perfectly fine with. So I agree it really just depends on the horse and the situation.

Tracy

I had my 14 year old Stallion gelded, He went to the horse hospital as the vet wanted to make sure if anything went wrong he'd have everything to hand. Nothing did go wrong and we were out hunting within the month.

The horse was kept away from mares for about 8 weeks, just to be sure. He was then turned out in a mixed herd with no problems at all, never did calm down completly and woulod chat up mares, but he was not a difficult stallion when entire.

Latest posts

Back